Disquiet Junto Project 0485: Strange Weather

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 19, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 15, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0485: Strange Weather

The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer’s traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.

This is the second of two projects in a row we’re doing with artist Chris Kallmyer. You needn’t have participated in the previous one to do this one. First, some background: Kallmyer’s “Two hearts are better than one” is a pair of wind chimes, one of which is depicted in this week’s cover image, crisscrossing Los Angeles at the height of the pandemic. Installed at homes for week-long listening sessions, the chimes formed a duet across a city and provided intimate experiences with sound for 16 families sheltering at home. (More at chriskallmyer.com.)

Step 1: Chris has provided us with a recording of the wind chimes, a little over five minutes long. The audio was cleaned up by Alex Hawthorn (@Hawthorn) to maximize the clarity of the chimes themselves, removing much of the background sound, thus situating the chimes in what might be thought of as a platonic space. Access the wav file at dropbox.com.

Step 2: Do what you wish this the chimes. Remix them to your musical heart’s content. The one request is that at least once in your recording, let the source audio be heard clearly.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0485” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0485” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0485-strange-weather/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 19, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 15, 2021.

Length: The length is entirely up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0485” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 485th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Strange Weather (The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer’s traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes) – at:
https://disquiet.com/0485/

More on Chris Kallmyer at:
chriskallmyer.com.

Major thanks to Alex Hawthorn for support:
alexhawthorn.com

More on the Disquiet Junto at:
https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:
https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:
https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0485-strange-weather/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Chris Kallmyer and used with the artist’s permission.

7 Likes

The project is now live.

1 Like

Wind chimes and granular
Wind chimes time stretched
Field recording of last year’s grass (see picture below)

Some strings
And the original recording from Chris Kallmyer’s wind chimes. Without any fx and unedited.

12 Likes

Hey,
-Used the first 3 minutes of the original, unedited
-Converted that audio to midi and triggered a crystal chamber bowls sampler.
-Added 3 wind chimes I own (build by my father in the 80’s out of aluminium tubes)
-Improvised an acoustic piano part
-Improvised a synth pad
Love
dd

14 Likes

Hello, longtimenosee :wink:

I worked on a track the past two days when Marc’s assignment arrived. The wind chimes are a perfect fit to start the piece, so “Two Hearts” is now

• a recording of ambience a few weeks ago
  • some guitar I recorded on my phone just brainstorming
  • cut into pieces in Reason Studio “Blocks Mode” (yes, I am using this) :slight_smile:
  • added drums and chimes!

The result:

I also uploaded the track to Audius, a decentralized music-sharing that I am exploring.

12 Likes

used a mixture of techniques for this piece, the sample of wind chimes was mangled by my Morphagene and then imported into ableton. This was juxtaposed with the original recording with some rando effects. Drums where added and mangled likewise.

10 Likes

I decided to keep this simple. I added a pong clean delay effect, which is probably my favorite effect. For several measures in the middle, I brought the wet/dry ratio of the effect down to 0.

7 Likes

Hi all, hope you are well.
This began as a small sound device setup channelled into the Norns script Barcode. Pic here Mini setup. This can be heard at the start of the track along with a melody created with Norns script Awake Later is a field recording of the birds in my garden recorded with Zoom H6 from a window today. (This isn’t edited, the little bird was really going for it with the singing :slight_smile: )

Chris Kallmyer’s chimes can be heard reversed, delayed and so on. Later I added generative sound from Norns script Fear in a Handful of Dust Since the animations in Fear in a Handful of Dust focus on the passing of transient seasons I thought a recording of the wind chimes and field recording of birdsong in Spring was a good pairing as this too shall pass. That’s it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I got a Magus a few days ago to go along with the modular. Its the size or of a midsize guitar pedal with 24 patch points and the ability to run Pure Data, OWL and Lich patches. I’m still getting to grips with it, it’s a fun learning curve nonetheless, another rabbit hole to explore.
I took the recording of Chris Kallmyer’s wind chimes and set it to different effect chains, including beads, Gleetchlab, monsoon and a Magus running a Pure Data shimmer reverb patch.
(The rhythm came from a DFam chugging away and I fiddled with settings whilst the parts were faded in and out. The original recording plays from start to finish underneath everything.

disquiet0485gleetchlabbeadsMonsoonmagus

Clang Association(disquiet0485) by noimspartacus is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

11 Likes

I used Chris Kallmyer’s chimes to open and close the piece as well as using bits to layer throughout the piece with no manipulation. I recorded my own bouy chime during a pretty windy day and incorporated that in the piece by manipulating it with Morphagene>Qpas>Mimeophon using Ochd as a modulator.
I played the Matriarch over Chris’s original piece and this is sorta what came out.

11 Likes

The playlist is rolling:

5 Likes

Was having a hard time deciding what to do with this one. I messed around for awhile and processed the bells in Ableton in various ways, and then decided to put together a track with everything running through my space echo. The original sample is played back unedited with a bit of eq/reverb, and I added drum machine and some synth. Ended up with this retro underwater krautrock jam. Maybe a BEAK> b-side? I’ve always wanted to be in a band that sounded kinda like this. Makes me wanna make a whole album this way.

9 Likes

Parts of the track refashioned into drone structures but incorporating a few of the original chimes.

11 Likes

Hey All, I looped some clips of the chimes and added a beat. I then put some chords and a kinda solo synth (Arturia SEM) over that. I was aiming to get the chime sounds to blend into the track.

Hope all are well. Peace, Hugh

8 Likes

As I had already been working on wind chimes tracks, I simple replaced my own samples with Chris’ in different granular production environments, mostly Nebulae in modular and Samplr on iPad, and I changed what felt wrong.

This is a recut/remix of around seven sessions, first versions were, as always, way too long, so this is the chart edit. I tried some percussion, but it didn’t work for me, maybe because there is already a rhythmic component present.

By whatsoever reason I wanted to use no other sound sources sources besides Chris Kallmyer’s “Two hearts are better than one” recording. His original is in the beginning and the end.
Thanks for the opportunity!

10 Likes

this is such a cool interpretation of the assignment!! sounds awesome.

2 Likes

I’d thought to record a showcase of my new tin can dulcimer build, but got a little carried away (it’s in there, just not prominently featured). Then I ordered a pizza and started playing a tambourine with a handheld electric fan. It’s hard to account for the goings on, but feel free to do a jazz solo – it’s whatever.

4 Likes

Managed to find a quiet evening yesterday to join in on the fun! Haven’t been able to find the time recently to join in. Simple treatment: transferred the track to my new-to-me Akai GX-4000D reel-to-reel, then transferred it back to Logic. Fed the result into two separate chains in Eurorack:

1. E520 Hyperion > Magneto
  2. Rings > Clouds (with some spurrious v/oct information in Rings from Disting mk4 on pitch tracking mode

Shot a video of the tape machine playing back the transfer:

And here it is on SoundCloud:

Thanks as always, Marc!

9 Likes

Hello. This is my contribution.

I encoded the recording of the chimes as an LPC byte stream using BlueWizard and hacked the VCV Rack version of Mutable Instruments Plaits, known as Macro Oscillator 2, to add it as another “word” to the speech synthesis algorithm. I then made a patch in Rack to “play” the recording back through the algorithm, using an LFO to scrub the Morph control on the Macro Oscillator 2 / Plaits. I then did a recording messing about with other parameters and finally added some effects to finish it. Thanks!

8 Likes

I used the whole track altered with spectral/algorithmic chamber ensemble “conversion” + improvised softsynth I made just before noticing this week’s Junto project, and it seemed to fit chimes with some minor modifications.

8 Likes