Disquiet Junto Project 0486: Earths Days

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 26, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 22, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0486: Earths Days

The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.

Step 1: Each Disquiet Junto project begins on a Thursday. This Thursday happens to be Earth Day. Reflect on the concept of Earth Day, and how it might map beyond our big blue marble.

Step 2: Record a piece of music or sound celebrating Earth Day for or as if on another planet.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0486” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0486” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0486-earths-days/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 26, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 22, 2021.

Length: The length of your finished track is up to you. .

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0486” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 486th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Earths Days (The Assignment: The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet) – at: https://disquiet.com/0486/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0486-earths-days/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is in the public domain courtesy of NASA. Image credit: Zolt Levay Photography: http://hubblesite.org/contents/media/images/2021/001/01EWXK6QFEF57A7W1RV6TC6ZZB

8 Likes

The project is now live.

I’ve been working on this little percussion track the whole day (Thursday 22nd April, Earth Day), it’s for a different future project, but it’s a good idea to dedicate this for the planet, somehow percussions , even tuned ones , are the more “universal” instruments for me.

Now I’m going to listen to Terra by Caetano Veloso for a millionth time, so excuse me.

Cheers
dd

Composed and performed by DD
Photo by NASA

15 Likes

I made a simple ambient drone track using some live synthesizer recordings I made some time ago. Some kitchen noises in the background.

12 Likes

Earlier this week I visited the grave of writer W.G Sebald who is buried not too far from my home (about 20 miles). I’ve visited this place and made field recordings for about 6 years since I moved to this part of England. This was my first trip since December 2019.

That day (Tuesday 20th April) I made 2 field recordings which were about 15 minute each in length at this graveside location and tonight I loaded them up and let them play in full.
I improvised along in 1 take with the field recording playing. I used with 3 seperate low volume ambient sounds, letting them each loop after a few minutes. I only listened back one time, making slight adjustments to the volume levels but didn’t change or make any edits.

This seemed to fit the mood of Earth Day for me.

12 Likes

Thinking about celebrating Earth Day on another planet got me thinking about how here in Canada we often see ads for big sales whenever the U.S. has a holiday that we don’t celebrate ourselves. Independence Day Mattress Blowout! Presidents Day Kitchenette Savings! Every American holiday is always about the sales. So here’s an ad from 1991 celebrating the great deals to be had on Earth now finally being heard on some distant planet as the television signals flow out through the cosmos. All made with youtube clips and audacity.

13 Likes

9 Likes

On an imaginary Earthlike planet many, many light years away…

With a strong motivation to protect the planet, the beings there created this audio file to draw attention to the many problems of pollution and other bad practices that are having a harmful effect on all life.

Made with processed field recordings and vst’s.

17 Likes

I’m Sorry

12 Likes

Hello. Here’s mine. A little memory from the future.

12 Likes

At first I had no idea what to do, and though, I pass on this.
But this morning I got an idea! A one minute long Earth Day modular performance :grin:
It’s a rumble that symbolizes the inner earth.
A noise for the atmosphere.
And tones generated with the logistic equation, symbolizing life.

The logistic equation can be used for describing population growth. You can patch up the equation (A-100 Patch Examples) or you can by a module (modulargrid.net/e/klangbau-koeln-rnd-modul-logistische-gleichung).

12 Likes

I had an idea to generate a piece of music from a recording of this xylophone I like in a playground in Griffith.

After playing around with the samples for a couple of hours, I feel like I’ve admitted defeat.

So the title refers to the graffiti I’ve seen that says “Earth without art is eh”!

13 Likes

i played something in iris 2 while looking at the bright blue sky and the moon. uncertainty, pensive, a little hope.

two instances of iris 2, mconvolutionez reverb, supermassive

15 Likes

I recorded this after a conversation with a neighbor about the two streams that run underground through our city, buried. The streams are visible in the landscape in certain places if you know where to look and how to connect the pieces. But ultimately they are dead as ecosystems, not functioning as wetlands. What if the water ran through the neighborhood? What if a stream ran through our park? What if our urban environment did not have to conflict with the natural systems that we depend on?

I appreciate the prompt, because I was playing a patch, recording to tape through a Zoom pedal when the battery died. I gave up and walked away. Later I sat back down and recorded this track into the computer. I’m working with a new NLC Delay No More and heard that it’s possible to coax sweet sounds out of it. This is my attempt toward that (for some definition of sweet), with some audio-rate modulated filtering, alongside the dry Stages harmonic oscillator sound source, and the fully wet Delay No More sound, all through 4ms DLD.

11 Likes

My take on the prompt this week was the idea of returning to Earth from being away, thinking about all the natural beauty you have missed as you slowly fall down the gravity well on your way home.

Technical things. Using VCV Rack, I set out to make things organic and somewhat unstructured to give a more natural feel. Used an AD envelope with sample and hold modulating the attack and decay to create a variable envelope. Used end of cycle output as the main clock for everything to create a sort of random structure and just went from there. Lots of reverb and some delay on the main theme. Added Supercell to create some texture.

15 Likes

This week I enjoyed working together with Gabriel Krappmann. Based on a simple base track in VCV Rack Gabriel played violin on top and everything is mixed and merged in Reason Studio.

Here is the result :

Please also listen to Gabriel’s songs. Link in the description.

Edit - Here is also the Audius link.

12 Likes

I don’t know whether most people know that Richard Nixon formed the Environmental Protection Agency. This speech from 1972 seems even more urgent today. But times have changed and saving the environment seems to now be a bipartisan issue. If Nixon were around today, his environmental views would seem centrist-Democrat.

I used all 24 major and minor chords going around the circle of fifths to represent the 24 hours of the Earth’s day. Think of this as Nixon’s speech being heard today on some exoplanet nearly 50 light years away.

12 Likes

Just the Serge and a Blackhole reverb… looking back from deep space.

12 Likes

I just started with a sample from another thing I did, then used plugins to give it a little bit of an arc.

8 Likes

Hey All, .I woke today to find out my uncle had died this morning.This was expected and an end to suffering.My parent’s generation of their families are leaving now. My children are growing up and will be going off on their own soon. I am getting to the age where I am going to be the oldest in my family. What the hell happened?
The artwork is my actual bed that I sleep in and faces to my bedroom studio. I had gotten the Earth print to make it look like I was floating in orbit. After finding this poem I like the idea of the Earth as my pillow much more. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

11 Likes