Disquiet Junto Project 0500: Humming to Your Selves

This will be the 500th consecutive weekly Disquiet Junto project. The instructions went out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto, as always. Thanks to everyone who has participated, contributed, and encouraged over the years.

Disquiet Junto Project 500: Humming to Your Selves

The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.

It was Kamen Nedev of Madrid, Spain, who suggested via Twitter that after all this time we do a proper Disquiet Junto project inspired by the late poet Fernando Pessoa (1888-1935).

Step 1: Create two alternate identities, people other than yourself. Each of these two people should be musicians, and they should be strikingly different from you and from each other.

Step 2: For each of the two people you invented in Step 1, fill in their background. Think about where are they from, what are their interests, what sort of music do they make?

Step 3: Record a piece of music in which a tune of your choosing is played three times in a row. The first time it is played as you might play. The second time it is played by the first of the two personalities you developed in the previous two steps. The third time it is played by the second of those two personalities.

Additional Background: This week’s project is inspired by the work of Fernando Pessoa. You don’t need to know much about him to participate, thought it’s highly recommended that in the future you learn more about his writing and his legacy. A key thing to understand about Pessoa is his concept of the “heteronym.” Pessoa wrote from numerous points of view, and for each he developed a unique persona. These were, as Richard Zenith writes in his new biography of Pessoa, more than pseudonyms. These weren’t merely alternate names under which a person published work. They were alternate names under which Pessoa published work that was unique to each of those names, because they weren’t merely names. They were individual identities that inhabited his imagination. There is much that is remarkable about the work and life of Fernando Pessoa, not least of which is that his family name translates into English, from his native Portuguese, as the word “person.”

Pessoa’s The Book of Disquiet (Livro do Desassossego) was the inspiration for Disquiet.com when I launched the website in 1996, and the name in turn lent itself to the Junto when I proposed the first project during the first week of January 2012. The 10th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto will occur this coming January 2022. The word Junto was borrowed from Benjamin Franklin’s Junto society, which he formed in 1727 for “mutual self-improvement,” an aspiration carried on by our Junto. Perhaps in six years we can celebrate the tricentennial of Franklin’s Junto.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0500” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0500” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0500-humming-to-your-selves/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Note: Please post one track per weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, August 2, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, July 29, 2021.

Length: The length of your finished track is up to you (to all three of you).

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0500” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 500th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Humming to Your Selves (The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent) – at: https://disquiet.com/0500/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0500-humming-to-your-selves/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

The image associated with this project is by aesthetics of crisis, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/icrM1d

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

14 Likes

And the project is now live. Thanks, everyone.

5 Likes

500!!! :grinning: :tada: Lets start with me. Some electronica. Next up is Victoria, my hip-hop-head friend. I hope shes working on some nice rhymes! Last is uncle Olle. I have never met him. Only heard him, and about him…

14 Likes

I wrote a theme with two variations. I hope that counts. The variations actually come first and the theme comes last.

9 Likes

Disquiet Junto 500. Amazing :slight_smile: Wish I’d found it sooner!

Here’s a track created by Glitcher, in this case Midgard. This leads into DJ Float who resides in the past in a state of ‘trance’. The track finishes with a Shadow being who seems capable of time travel.

Process: First I created the middle part with equator and MPE. Then took the scale and replicated it by ear in Norns Animator. Next a recent field recording of rain and thunder was added to the Norns track. The third part was created by taking the midi from the second and putting it through an arpeggio and two instances of unfiltered audios LION vst.

9 Likes

a trio comprising me and a couple of aspects of my unconscious that aren’t properly assimilated into my self-concept.
monkey, especially, fucked this track up
they both chose to just play over me

3 instances of iris2

a jungian thing for the yunto!

11 Likes

The playlist is now rolling. Thanks, everyone:

5 Likes

I’m so sad for not being able to participate on this “landmark” junto, and besides being a long time fan of Pessoa, the prompt is really inspiring.

The diquiet0500 would have look great on my artwork that would have included a photo of the Pessoa statue in Lisbon that I took 20 years ago…

Thanks @disquiet for keeping this joint for this long, always a warm nice place to meet and always inspiring. And bravo everybody who participated, it’s been a ride. Love, DD

13 Likes

5 Likes

Mix of live electronic sequences.

8 Likes

Hey All
Wretched Records are excited to have 3 new releases this month,

Bick Brannigan III’s new album “ I’m Angry and Don’t Know What to Do About it” was forged in the darkest corners of the human heart. Warning, cautionary tale or head on decent into the abyss you decide if you are mentally or spiritually able to locate the nearest exit. Bick doesn’t just ask the questions, He questions the questions. With so many questions in his head it is amazing he is able to do any blacksmithing at all but blacksmith he does, like the wind does he blacksmith. Bick is very involved in the politics of his time going so far as to put a bumpersticker on his car. Bick is unafraid to be afraid and that is what makes him so fearless.
240_F_77845391_0biNyosSsdyyBU8MWZcNn57D3uNFH6m8

Dj Jakov Gotobed can never be found. But when he is happened upon by accident he always has his trusty bongos with him. His Latest Album “Dance Like You Expect Tips” keeps the party going with smooth vibes and the ennui of a world weary pope who still searches for a miracle to declare a “miracle”. Is this record a miracle? Hell no. It is the sirens call to boogie ooggie. Drawing you and your entire party to your feet weather you consented to the drawing or not. Dj Jakov is available for weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs or Quinceañeras.

Vinny Valentine is no longer on our record label but to fulfill our contract with him we have to release this record or else! We in no way support Vinny and do have a restraining order against him. Even with this order we have still felt it necessary to carry tasers and travel in groups of at least 5 people which makes elevators tricky sometimes. His album “Why So Many Shitstains?” In no way, shape or form reflects the views of this label or any one with a sane mind. It belongs in the garbage can of history. No that’s not right. This belongs in the papershreader of history.

Last be not least - Cheers to Marc and the Disquiet Junto making the big 500!
Peace.Hugh

9 Likes

Barely had time for this, but as I’m currently just a bit south of Indianapolis, I did want to participate in the “500”
This assignment was a bit difficult because I think that I’m actually a person that I made up… so.
Johnny Imposter, followed by Johnny Angst, then Johnny Ennui. (I’m pretty sure that all of these names have been used in punk bands before, but I used Johnny Ennui as a username on BBSs in the early 80s… so I might have had it first.)
I kept the song simple and short as brevity is the soul of wit…

Johnny Imposter is stuck back in the age of psychedelic surf music. The kind that Jimi thought that you would never hear again.

Johnny Angst is still rocking the Hacienda Club in his fevered imagination. Shiny and happy.

Johnny Ennui fucked off to Tibet ages ago. Lives in a yurt wears a tie dye shirt.

I just played some guitar, drum machines, and keyboards into ProTools.

9 Likes

I play bass player, but Tarrega intervened. Then the reverse Tarrega from the future, Sr. Agerrat, comes in and wants to tango, but he is playing backwards in time as he approaches us. For a few moments we all play together, but Agerrat then accelerates towards the past. Happy to meet the passersby here in the 500.

I used François Faucher’s midi file of Tarrega’s Tango

2 Likes
6 Likes

Congrats on the 500th! :partying_face:

This also marks my 26th contribution which means I’ve participated in a little over 5% :innocent:

I spent a lot of time thinking of how to approach this challenge whilst coming up with a tune or melody to play. I ended up settling on a simple melody I wrote on a guitar and 2 very different personas based on my younger self and people I’ve met through the years.

Persona 1:
A kind of person I’ve had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting… The elitist musician that believes music only exists in the performance itself. The process of recording the music would take away the soul of the music. And only ‘real’ instruments can be used to play music (electronic or electric instruments are not real instruments).

Persona 2:
If the meter isn’t in the red then it wont get heard. So lets crank everything up to 11. More stuff and more noise is more good. I can neither confirm nor deny that I used to make music like this…

Track 1 (my own):
Made as I would approach such a tune today. Slow it down, spread the chords over several drone instruments and make sure there is a lot of “drift”.

Track 2 (persona 1):
I’m not a good enough performer on any ‘real’ instruments to make a convincing performance, and I’ve only got access to an acoustic guitar as a ‘real’ instrument. So to spite persona 1 I’ve made this using a sample library with grand piano and cello samples. All notes are programmed but I’ve added a lot of little errors and stuff. Hopefully it feels like a real performance…

Track 3 (persona 2):
I apologize in advance :stuck_out_tongue: I think there is 2-3 saturation plugins on each channel, and a single on the master. It is loud, fast and stupid.

7 Likes

congrats on the 500! !I started in 2013… DIsquiet Junto is great :wink:
While being in Poland with my family, I had just a field recorder & Logic, but no instruments, so I decided to use field recs, table percussion and my voice.
Other sounds were recorded during a visit to the wonderful Stanisław Lem Science Garden

8 Likes

Wow! Project 500!! Amazing! Thank you @disquiet and everyone else who contributes, listens, and comments - and congratulations!!

I’ve been “out” for a while - but HAD to be part of this one. So, here’s my contribution (my 51st participation):

It’s a mix of chords interpreted in a simple jazzy piano piece, a Ludwig Göransson inspired version, and a poppy, sub-bassy version. Tempo shifts, all instruments shifts, etc. And, still, while I made all effort to try to make it different - I hear myself in all versions. That is probably proof of non-professionalism and something to be worked on… at some time…

6 Likes

I was sadly short on time, but I really wanted to make sure I did something at least to mark this milestone (congrats Marc!). As I was deciding what to do, the bells began to ring in the church at the end of our street - and it felt really celebratory so I drew my inspriation from there.
The first part of my track is music based on the notes that the bells were playing, using my modular synth, (including Rings into Clouds, for a bit of an in-joke) - which represents me working as normal. The next section was an improvisation on the piano, by my left-handed collaborator, Joey Cain. He lost his right hand in a freak accordion accident when he was small, and so this piece is totally performed using the left hand (thus representing the constraints that the Disquiet Junto sets us up with each week, from which creativity can flourish). The third part was a recording of the bells, made by my friend Joni Acey, who is a field-recording purist.
(The bells really were recorded today, from the window of my studio room.)

7 Likes

Wow, 500th one. Fantastic. My approach this time was to get some chords & a melody and then imagine the three characters: I start with Zen Buddhist monk Hachinori. The second one is 80s wayfarer-wearing Ray and the last one is Berlin Bob.

7 Likes

Congratulations for the 500th Disquiet Junto project, and thank you very much, Marc, for this phantastic endeavour ! Unfortunately I only joined for the 476th edition…

I planned to create an electronic tune with a simple synth lead, but it turned into an Arp-like melody. This version is the pre-Disquiet me - I have learned so much from all of you ever since. Thank you all !

In all three versions the tune is played twice, during the repetition more instruments join in and transfer the tune more to the background.

The second personality is a classical composer, living in Leipzig and trying to get assignments from theatres. He is try-hard serious and over-ambitious. The third personality is a former project-manager. After a burn-out he decided to live as a hermit in a remote cottage in the Odenwald, making music for himself to connect to nature.

6 Likes