Disquiet Junto Project 0506: Wipe Out

Instructions went out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, September 13, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 9, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0506: Wipe Out

The Assignment: Take something whole and erase half of it.

Step 1: Take an existing recording of a piece of music, preferably something of your own.

Step 2: Remove half of the track (however you might define half), and in the process create a new version of the original, or something entirely new, or something in between.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0506” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0506” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0506-wipe-out/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Note: Please post one track per weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, September 13, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 9, 2021.

Length: The length of your finished track is up to you. It might be best if it’s the same length as the original.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0506” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 506th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Wipe Out (The Assignment: Take something whole and erase half of it) – at: https://disquiet.com/0506/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0506-wipe-out/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

The image associated with this project is by Emma Craig, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/xBs5JS

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

3 Likes

The project is now live. Thanks, everyone, and apologies for it going out later in the day than I’d hope.

3 Likes

This is a rework of an old track (Stream Cantico (for a raindrop in a quiet garden) - naviarhaiku220 by Daniel Diaz | Listen online for free on SoundCloud) but inspired by this junto challenge.

I not only removed half of the tracks (all the strings, bowed basses and cello) but also edited heavily to create a shorter version of the original, trimmed from 2:34 to 1:31 minutes long.

I kept (most of) the melodica, electric bass and electric guitar parts.

Composed and performed by DD 2018, reworked Friday 10th September 2021
Photo by Krista Mcphee

9 Likes

The track was an experiment with feedback that was part of a project on here last year.

6 Likes

I make a simple melody on my Yamaha QY10 (hand-held music workstation). Chords are the “Tine Pno” sound (with a little reverb from my Tascam DP-008EX). ‘Melody’ are the “Xylophne” sound. Percussion the “shkr” sound.

Next I take the notes from the “Xylophne” sound and send to modular. I send gate (tone on/off) and CV (pith info in this case) to Nonlinearcircuits Flip-Flop-Chaos (FFC). FFC controls a simple sound with a little spring reverb. No quantize.

An appropriate ending to this experiment is InspectorJ’s sound “Cuckoo Clock, Single” (freesound). :crazy_face:

9 Likes

For this challenge I took my ambient track 2B, put it through a low pass filter to get rid of half of the frequencies. Copied the result and pitched it until I got some of the lost frequencies back.

Result is pretty mediocre:

9 Likes

Day Traveler (disquiet0506) is a reverse time stretch of an unreleased track called Traveler. Day Traveler is half the length at 1:04 and was created using Sony ExpressFX Time Stretch in an old version of Sound Forge.

The original source sounds are the “strings” from the iOS app Musyc using one of the many “sets” I’ve built, or whatever they’re called, for randomized note generation. All this is run through my Empress Echoplex and Empress Reverb boxes, likely the “yellow tape” and “green ghost” settings of some value.

The picture is from a webcam in late August 2021 on Derybasivska Street, Odessa, Ukraine. I enjoy travelling by webcam.

9 Likes

I cut a few segments out of something longer and used them as raw materials to make this little ditty.

10 Likes

@ryanscottmattingly I liked it. It sounds like the overture to a movie soundtrack, like the music you hear at the beginning of a movie trailer. I don’t know what you think of this idea, but I might try to make it into an imaginary 1950s horror or science fiction trailer. Add sound effects and dialog. The current mix sounds kind of murky. I would try to fix that.

@markrushton I like the fact that it’s short. I know that sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it’s not intended to. Some of these things tend to go on too long. It has a nice sound/melody. Since there is random note generation at the lowest level, I would try to impose some kind of structure at a higher level. Maybe something as simple as dynamics or gradual voicing changes.

I took my piece from last week and changed chords to arpeggios in the A section and to a contrapuntal line in the B section. This eliminated quite a few notes and changed the character of the piece. Finally, I simplified the instrumentation from two types of instruments to simple piano parts. I’ve come to decide that if a melody doesn’t sound good with a simple piano voice, then it probably doesn’t sound good. Later I can add bells and whistles, if I want. (Although, in this case, I didn’t.)

6 Likes

Hi all. I took a track I had been working on and erased half by making it two minutes long instead of four.
Sections were mostly shortened and some deleted. Some not-so-musical stuff from the latter half was made super short and put near the start.

Made with Norns Groovecat’s script, Befaco Witch and Plinky. Processed by unfiltered audio plugins.

9 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

5 Likes

a reworking of Forelight – Klr-orbit. Half the voices deleted leaving noise tones and effected bass.

4 Likes

Currently up on the West Coast of Scotland with only my laptop …

I took an old track and created a moded loop of the intro in Logic (piano, guitar, cello and bDrum). I then looped that and ‘un-disintegrated’ it using Chow Tape Model and ReplicaXT.

5 Likes

Hey All, I took a recent beat battle track and did my version of erasing on that. I took out the low and high end and added other effects to really take the edges off the sounds. It got so unrecognizable that the song was lost so I added some of the original track back in to make it more of an erasure than an obliteration.

NON SUBMISSION here is the original track if anyone wanted to check it out

Hope all are well. Peace, Hugh

7 Likes

A remix of: Ray_cobley – Autocomplete-disquiet0493. I removed the right-hand stereo track & replaced it with a copy of the left-hand track including a short delay & a few minor adjustments.

6 Likes

I’m obsessed with Akira Yamaoka’s soundtrack for the PlayStation game “Silent Hill II”.

To re-enter some of the haunted distances created by Yamaoka, I love playing suspended chords on my guitar and fading them in with a volume pedal.

This is such a recording from 2019.

In Ableton, I simply added a utility to the end of my signal chain and had it switch between 0dB and -inf.dB every bar.

I then duplicated the track, pitch shifted it down an octave, and had its utility switch between -inf.dB and 0dB.

This way, at any one time, only 50% of the double-tracked audio is being played.

For added movement I used @trickyflemming’s brilliant BYOME and SILO VSTs, and let them float around freely in the return tracks.

I hope that this once-upon-a-time improvisation still manages to summon up something of the spirit of Silent Hill.

9 Likes

Disquiet0506
Destruction
• Key: F Maj BPM: 124 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: Drums, Synths, Harp, Woodwinds, Brass
• Plug-ins: Waves, Reaper js, NI, Spitfire,
• Started with a song I made awhile ago then removed half of the instruments used to create a new song
• Added the new section with less instruments to the end of the original song

3 Likes

@DeDe your work is always inspiring, and makes me want to try to make more music. thank you.

@bassling been on a huge Sunn O))) kick recently, this is music to my ears - that mutual pulling away at 1m26 is lush.

@gis_sweden your track had me - weirdly - thinking of Pink Floyd’s “Time” even before the cuckoo clock sample appeared!!

@Seramind i know you’re not overwhelmed with your track, but your process is brilliant - i wonder how different this would sound if you carved out three or four different frequency bands, rather than using the single low pass filter. i love your idea, and want to try this for myself at some point.

@markrushton this came out very nicely, almost like gamelan for nylon string acoustic guitar.

@Paul_Reiners i think this doesn’t need the bells and whistles - it’s sweet enough as it is.

@Glitcher i love that sad, warm melody that emerges around 0m50s. i wanna hear mogwai play now.

@xiiixxi this is magic - the lovely, chiming guitar survived, somehow. the dense saturation makes me think of tim hecker’s “harmony in ultraviolet” - how hard were you pushing the chow tape vst? (btw, the west of scotland is beautiful - enjoy!!)

@Bick_Brannigan nice transition from a beat battle to a boat battle. i wanted this to last longer… (long boat remix?!)

@ray_cobley i love walking, and i want to walk while listening to this (in fact, i will - i just downloaded your track. thank you.)

7 Likes

@howthenightcame thanks for your words, I really appreciate.
Your track is captivating, the dynamic waves and the mood , still and moving at the same time, is really haunting. Bravo
and you made me curios about @trickyflemming 's plugins, will google them, but the dense yet clear and floating sound makes me think of some kind of sweet granular thing going on.

2 Likes

In the winter of 2096, humans have taken refuge in the extreme north and south of the planet, the only areas left that are habitable for them. All that is left above ground are robots listening to old rave tracks in abandoned warehouses, often multiple tracks at once with the drums removed because robots hate drums.

Reading the prompt, I decided to grab a random project, pull out half the elements and see where I could go with it. Picked an old track titled Winter. For whatever reason, the above scenario popped into my head and I went with it.

5 Likes