Disquiet Junto Project 0507: In DD's Key of C

Hi folks, it’s been a while since I last took part in a Junto challenge, but couldn’t resist the chance to do something with Daniel’s sounds as I love his music so much…

Wasn’t sure if we were supposed to add our own sounds as well - but have done anyway…
Loaded 2 of Daniel’s samples, the Hang drum and the bass guitar, into Ableton’s drum rack and used the Max4Live Turing Machine to trigger them randomly. Using ‘slice to new midi track’ I cut up the piano sample to another instance of Drum rack and also used Turing Machine to trigger that , slowly adjusting the amount of randomness so that certain loops would repeat as I was rendering it out to audio. Finally, adding a high pad sound from Arturia SQ80V
The result is a nice piece of glitchy ambience.
Apologies to Daniel for the terrible pun in the title :wink:

9 Likes

@bassling
“The app Sniff_Jazzbox interprets wi-fi data as piano notes” you never fail to surprise me.
Glad to be part of your lovely Wi-FI symphony!

@Bick_Brannigan yeah! Hugh, you made one single note of mine actually groove, thanks for that!

@RupertL
Sure, my fantasy was that people manipulate and transform the samples to make them their own, but also combining them with other performances , different chords, instruments, keys…
Your track is awesome, the high pad is the real deal here, and the arpeggiator style backing works wonders. Thanks for this lovely use of the snippets.

@howthenightcame

I can’t believe that sound along with the bowed bass is from the wedding, you made it blend perfectly, it is very dramatic. BRAVO.
I remember that day walking around the fish market and being interlopers to that wedding. Big time. Great memories. You have to find one of those “pipes” instruments we discovered, remember its name? Sho, right? I need one!!

4 Likes

6 Likes

i deeply enjoyed playing with @DeDe’s sample pack; i figured to zoom in, splice brutally but neatly in order to transform them but keep them recognisible, ostensibly untransformed.

I used some occasional distortion and a little compression but fundamentally this is made up of about dozen layers of the sounds looped and granulated and spliced before they were looped and granulated again… Sort of woozy but sort of pleasing to my ears, too.

9 Likes

The Sea of Keys [disquiet0507]

I laid DD’s samples end to end and made them into a wav file in Audacity. This was then explored using my demo copy of The Mangle (using a bit more restraint than I usually display). The result was cut up and rearranged over several drones created from the cello sample, with some reverb added and some other fiddling with track lengths and channels. A few glitches were cleaned up and some extra bits from the mangle remixed and sprinkled over the beginning and end sections.

I doubt that the end result is still in C, and probably has strayed into many other keys, hence the title.

7 Likes

Thank you Daniel for your samples, they were a treat to play with.
This was a lot fun.

I tried to fight my normal inclination to treat the living daylights out of everything and keep most of the sounds intact and real sounding. I failed.
I started by making a backbone with the piano. Starting the piano sample in different spots to make a melody I liked.
I then took the samples for a couple of jams in the Gleetchlab and the new (to me) Bespoke modular environment where I played with their directions, speeds and some layering.
Bespoke is pretty cool if you haven’t checked it out. Free and very powerful.
Back into Logic. Added some Raum and Pancake to bed things in. Wee bit of Supermassive.
Everything is from the samples.
Daniel in C

8 Likes

I tend to prefer working with my personal samples so this is a challenge - esp. since these are not the instruments I typically turn to. “I Waited Until the Very End” uses two of Daniel Diaz’s samples - the hang drum and the melodica - in a kind of quasi proportional canon. I seem to have an aversion to the 3-minute song - so, yet, another ambient/cinematic drone type piece. I will keep sculpting it -

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the samples, I found them really inspiring.

Fed them into the Octatrack with some randomness (start position, loop settings, lofi) and did some resampling at different pitches.

I found the Ukulele almost coming through like a Harp ! really nice.

4 Likes

Thanks to @DeDe for the inspiring samples. I loaded everything into Nysthi MusicalBox, a Sampler running in VCV Rack. One Sample (the bass) is pitched by a sequencer with added portamento between the steps. The other samples are manually triggered so in some way I build my custom C Maj instrument surfing on musical waves.

5 Likes

@halF_unusuaL - quirky and I loved every moment in the reworking. Nice job!
@ikjoyce - definitely 2 pieces in one - interesting to move in that direction
@Paul_Reiners - starting at the high end was brave - but you got it to work - enjoyable
@SlimOvni - I was thinking about David Lynch then got into a groove and it all went away

5 Likes

In this piece, I tried to work contrary to some of my most common ways of dealing with prerecorded material. I employed no processing whatsoever, not even the addition of reverb on drier tracks. Secondly, I made heavy use of looping, which I normally avoid. I also made an attempt to use every second of material from all raw sounds at least once (I only cut out a few seconds of accordina that I could not handle).
I used Logic Pro exclusively to assemble this piece. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to create movement, foreground vs. background, and a little bit of structure. I only had to splice in one or two places where a prerecorded bit was too far off the beat - I did not feel like I would have the time to construct a musical structure around the original rhythm glitch.
Other than that, I just had fun orchestrating.

3 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/cde-disquiet-0507

4 Likes

There was something very palate clensing about these samples. enjoyed working with them Daniel -although I mangled them enough to feel I was owning what i was doing.
So a nice ambient loop thing emerges from behind a strange drone before the wobbly hauntology delay starts to do it’s thing… (but subtler thank that, hopefully.)

5 Likes

Absolutely fantastic textures and colors! Pay for that demo copy! :wink:

1 Like

I chose not to stray too far from the rhythmic and melodic nature of the samples. After some cutting and pasting my work evolved into three movements. Thanks for the samples @DeDe! The Melodica took me back to my primary school in the sixties

4 Likes

Mangled the samples in Ableton’s Simpler and added effects. Resampled a lot of the tracks before going onto the timeline. The recordings all sounded amazing and were really fun to play with.

These projects have always seemed kind of intimidating to me but this one came very naturally, proud to say it’s my first completed Disquiet Junto project.

5 Likes

This project was done entirely in iOS on my iPad using Kymatica’s AUM. I selected 8 of DD,s files. Two tracks were files playing into an FX chain along with 6 tracks playing simultaneously on the Samplr app on its own AUM track to be able to play. reverse, transpose, change envelopes and add FX. The final mix was a performance using faders in AUM and play/pause in Samplr.

Thanks to DD for the clean and simple tracks.

3 Likes

i ran the samples through a few instances of protoplasm in different octaves of C and F
other fx: m ez convolution reverb, supermassive

i did a few tracks with these samples https://sevenism.bandcamp.com/album/dusklight . i’m always unsure how to credit people on bandcamp as it seems like halfway between soundcloud and a ‘real’ album.
in this case it seems like more than a sample pack, your performances are recognisably you, so @DeDe i’ve credited you in the titles as co-artist, hope this is ok

4 Likes

@sevenism hi, listening now, great work, mysterious metamorphosis of the samples. good !
As for the credit: it’s good for me as you did it, but if you want to keep the song titles clean, you can just add my name or BC link on the “Track Credit” section when you’re on track edit mode.
Cheers
dd

1 Like

Only had a few hours today to get into this. Wish I’d had more time available to work with these lovely sounds. It’s mostly an arrangement of the samples with some FX. Anyway here it is. Thanks @disquiet and @DeDe for this great project.

4 Likes