Disquiet Junto Project 0509: The Long Detail

For the “The Long Detail” prompt, I took a segment from a previous piece I named “Sevensevenseven” from the Disquiet0404 challenge, and turned it into an interpretation of waves on an ocean beach, hence the name. The segment was no more than 10 seconds in length but I multiplied it and registered some of the units, stacked and rhythmically panned them, added some reverb and spiced it up with an Output app called Portal. Cover painting detail from JMW Turner (c 1820-1830). Thanks for the great prompt Marc @disquiet, I like its relationship to the “long now” and of course, Long Island.

6 Likes

I selected a previous work that contained some field recordings mixed with a granular synthesizer (a max for live instrument called Emit). The clipped “moments” were then assembled into flowing track smeared with some Valhalla Supermassive for good measure.

4 Likes

split this track
slider-73-frog-as-statue
into 12 second moments
in 2 instances of vlc i had these playing on random
and had supermassive on in live

doesnt sound dissimilar to the original

2 Likes

Just back from a few days in Berlin. Amazing installations / exhibitions. Especially this: https://the-metabolic-rift.com/ and this one: https://www.darkmatter.berlin/

For this week I almost randomly took a few completely different pieces and extracted sections from them, which I tried to stitch back together using some beat tools, chopping and triggering delays, pitch shifters and some reverb.

6 Likes

Picked up one of my previous submissions and sliced it up into the parts that stood out to me … and that’s where I made things way more difficult than they needed to be, by deciding to let my modular system be the key to arranging said slices.

What I had in mind would have been way more straightforward in the box (i.e. in Live). You live and learn.

5 Likes

how do I get on the playlist? I am not sure I am tagging etc. correctly (this is kinda new for me) …

1 Like

Lemme check. I updated the playlist this morning.

Update for @PaulBeaudoin: I see what happened. There appears to be a hashtag symbol in the middle of the tag in your track title, so you have it as disquiet#0509 instead of disquiet0509. As a result, my search for disquiet0509 on SoundCloud wasn’t including your track in the results, and I use a daily search of SoundCloud for the tag as a means to herd all the tracks into one playlist.

1 Like

Here is a piece made from 5 brief excerpts from a previous Junto piece—fittingly enough, one of the ice cube challenges.

5 Likes

These were overdubs for a progressive metal band, I chopped them up and pulled them out of context and they make their own interesting sound world. I kept one continuous element, because it seemed too scattershot without it.

6 Likes