Disquiet Junto Project 0517: Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3)

10 Likes

Slipped out of my hand, Broken left channel. I have just one mic. Any ideas what the hell I can do? Besides, macpro doesn’t want to turn on. Battery full. Charger new.

Metaphore of my life, only smaller because no pressure here. Look at all the points of view.

This time I won’t use mobile.

Salú!

1 Like

A few minutes of civilisation - walking around town with a Tascam on 27 November.

Complete coincidence that the drummers were there. Thanks Barry.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear it. I’m not sure how replaceable that part is, but perhaps someone else here will know.

2 Likes

Fantastic documentation that makes your recording spring even more fully to life. Thank you for your care and details.

4 Likes

Last week, I went to the beach at night and recorded the ocean. This week, I thought it’d be neat to record the same beach, but during the day. I sat on a bench next to the bike path and recorded for about 30 minutes. Here’s a snippet of pedestrians, bikes, e-bikes, joggers, maybe an aircraft and an ambulance too.

Used a Tascam DR-05x with a 80Hz low-cut.

9 Likes

Nimitz Highway is a road that travels underneath H1, near HNL airport. A concrete throughway with a median being explored by palm, monstera, and taro. This binaural-ish recording is from that median, wind in advancing vegetation as motorbikes and trucks pass by.

10 Likes

For this one, I wanted to record a bit of short wave radio. As I used an unconventional pickup on pt. 1, I felt that this might be appropriate. There is something that really screams civilization to me from the hum of electric noise and communication in the air meant for someone else.

So, I spent some time on my balcony with my field kit, an home made antenna and a bit of choreography to try to capture any signals. To complement or contrast the emptiness of dead air and harsh noise of occasionally finding an actual signal I also left the microphones on my zoom recorder on, capturing a bit of me working, church bells and birds.

7 Likes

Various recordings made while bicycling in Cupertino, California, Autumn 2021. Used a handlebar mounted phone holder for most of it. The destructive sounds in the middle are of the former Oaks Shopping Center near CA-85 on Stevens Creek Blvd.

8 Likes

I love the rhythmic mechanical sounds in your recording. No doubt you noticed them too before hitting record, a great moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just asked for a mic SM 58. I have varios xlr cables. I’ve tried all I can think of. I don’t know how can I silence the built-in mics and try to récord with a sm 58 and a rode nt. I’ve three sounds to récord. Hope one of them has qualiti enought and i get what I’m listening.

Wish me luck!

Good time for everybody!

Salú!

2 Likes

Hello, here is my contribution for this week:

I guess no explanation is necessary. cheers!

5 Likes

It’s 10 o’ clock on a Sunday night. November 2021. I’m outside to record - as the assignment says - a minute or two of civilization.

Civilization… I’ve decided on recording the bells of Amsterdam’s Westertoren. In the now almost 2 years since the outbreak of the Covid 19 pandemic, I’ve taken to going on evening walks around the Jordaan neighbourhood, close to my home. It’s a quiet place, now that the bars close early. The bells of the Westertoren can be heard all around the neighbourhood every 15 minutes, playing a little melody, and marking time on the hour. In each of the small streets, the sound seems to come from a different direction.

I’m thinking, in a way, these bells indeed are symbols of civilization, of a world not falling apart in crazy times. I’m thinking, this church has been here for close to 400 years. It will almost certainly outlive us all.

Preparing to record the bells, I’m leaning against the side of the building opposite the church. This is the Anne Frank house. I realize that I’m literally only a few metres away from the place where the Frank family spent more than two years in hiding before they were ratted out, arrested, deported, killed. They too, heard these bells, symbols of civilization.

It’s cold tonight in Amsterdam. I’m thinking of the things I’ve been reading about refugees trying to cross the border between Belarus and Poland; about the governments playing a game of chicken: who will back down first? Meanwhile, people are dying in Bialowieza forest. I realize that these things are also done in my name. As EU citizens we’ve been told time and again that we need to keep these ‘migrants’ out… that is if we want to protect our civilization. As EU citizens we have, time and again, elected the politicians that are doing just that.

6 Likes

I walked to a freeway overpass and got a recording of the Sunday afternoon traffic. Not tremendously busy, but enough to have a traffic hum.

The audio was recorded through my zoom h5 using the h6 XY capsule and a pair of Rode M5s on a stereo bar. I played the recordings back through my mixer and did a little EQ and mixed the two.

Overall the result isn’t hugely interesting, but it does reflect the experience of being there. Hopefully it’ll work for the next step in this project. Thanks for another interesting project.

2 Likes

a phone conversation with the local telco to try and fix my broadband.
recorded over 11 seperate 4 and a half minute tracks layered on top of each other

4 Likes

This sample was recorded in one of Melbourne’s city lanes. Over the hum of traffic there are power tools, the echo of voices, an emergency vehicle and an air compressor!

5 Likes

Sitting on the front steps this afternoon waiting for my partner to get home from work. Everyone was on their way home, or just arrived. Cars starting, neighbours kids playing, traffic of the nearby main road.

2 Likes

hello,

this is me, around 07:15 on saturday morning, walking through a tunnel on my way to hachioji.
it’s a rough recording. no wind filter, bumpy foot steps, jangling keys, and a mysterious bang just after the 30s mark - i have no memory of it happening!!
i think you can sense that i’m emerging from the tunnel around 1m20s.

stay safe everyone.

8 Likes

Field recording from the open door onto our deck. Birds, people and a Eurocopter.

4 Likes

A field recording (15-8-2004) even older than the one for: disquiet-junto-project-0516-outside-in-co-exist-1-of-3.
Saint-Valery-sur-Somme - France
Google map
A steam locomotive: “Haine-Saint-Pierre 130T n°15” and voices.
Recorder: Marantz PMD670 + Microphone Sennheiser ME80.
(Mono recording)

6 Likes