Disquiet Junto Project 0520: On the Clock

Instructions went out, as always, via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, December 20, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, December 16, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0520: On the Clock

The Assignment: Get that thing done before the end of the year.

Step 1: Think of some musical idea you’ve been putting off doing all year. It could be a riff, a new approach to an instrument you use, reworking an existing track. Whatever’s been on your mind.

Step 2: Stop procrastinating and do the thing you focused on in Step 1 above. Record a track that exemplifies the thing from Step 1.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0520” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0520” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0520-on-the-clock/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, December 20, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, December 16, 2021.

Length: The length of your finished track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0520” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 520th weekly Disquiet Junto project – On the Clock (The Assignment: Get that thing done before the end of the year) – at: https://disquiet.com/0520/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0520-on-the-clock/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

6 Likes

The project is now live.

2 Likes

This is a nice “end of the year” project. I spent 2 hours this Friday morning working on this 18 years old track.
It started as a slow jam with my friend Ringo Estrella playing drums, I was playing upright bass.
It was a pointless jam, but I liked the groove, so I kept it aside for further use.
5 years later I went back to it and added acoustic guitar to make something out of it (mimicking a bass lick to create a sort of hook) It was still pointless so I shelved again.
3 years later I need a slow groove for a project, considered this one and added a Hammond organ to glue it together. Still didn’t work but kept it aside promising to finish that later.
Fats forward 5 years and I fulfilled my promise , went back to it, recorded some melodies on my accordina…and then did nothing with it, didn’t mix it, nothing.
This morning, another 5 years later, inspired by this project I decided to just mix it and share it, as pointless as it is, just to get rid of it…

I took that photo in Asturia, Spain, 6 years ago.

Probably my last junto this year, so Merry Christmas everybody and have a great 2022.
dd

14 Likes

Hi all. Norns Orca… been meaning to create something with Orca for a while. Two separate sessions at two different tempos recorded to Norns tape and combined in the DAW. One session with Passersby engine and one with PolyPerc. The same code was used in both sessions and live edited during playback. The Ansi keyboard that came packaged for use with Teletype was perfect for this and made things a lot easier and fun.The code was found on Patchstorage and belongs to a patch called ‘Lilting’ by jasl. I need to spend more time learning Orca it’s amazingly versatile and fun.

8 Likes

Hi, for this project I recorded something with the QiBrd app I’ve been using lately.

I added some fx pedals (shallow water + drone rainger + obsidiana + rv-3) to it. After I had the atmosphere done, then I recorded the looped bass with the arturia microfreak and finally, added a field recording bird loop.

I’d been playing around with the QiBrd, so I wanted to try and record something with it.

9 Likes

Recorded this song earlier in the week and it felt close, but not complete.

When I started I thought I’d edit the shape a bit, but as I listened it seemed to have a good structure.

There were definitely bits where the drums needed to drop out though and it took a while to consider filtering them out.

Then I added some reverb and delay for movement, before trying to add effects for a similar visual result.

@DeDe Your music is so cinematic, it’s like it needs dialogue to tie it all together.

@Glitcher Lovely sounding instrument and the watery vibe has me thinking about swimming.

@SlimOvni So peaceful. Delightful.

8 Likes

Thanks Jason,

it’s like it needs dialogue to tie it all together.

you know: I just finished an album with a singer/writer who’s a fan and follower of this junto joint (without participating) and he said the same thing. He asked if he could add spoken-word to some of my unreleased junto tracks and we did a dozen and it is great. The tracks (music unchanged) get different, more interesting and focused .

2 Likes

8 Likes

A little guitar thing I never got around to doing something with. All sounds are made with guitar.

7 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

2 Likes

I’ve created a “live eurorack case”, that hasn’t seen much action lately. So - I decided to see if I could take it for a spin, create something and then “dress it up” in the daw. This is the result.

Pianos, drums, some strings and samples added - a lot of processing etc. (Waaaaay too much processing…)

While I know I need to exercise this case more - with this prompt, I finally got started :wink:

10 Likes

I completely agree with this. On their own, without someone of authority to push them, they were lazy sods. The day before the performance, Glyn Johns is on about them rehearsing the songs for the performance. The best they can do is play some generic chord changes while John yells out the song titles in order. As John said in an interview somewhere, without Epstein, they never would have made it, and without them, Epstein never would have made it.

I’m taking an online course, Approaching Music Theory: Melodic Forms and Simple Harmony. I kept getting stuck on an assignment analyzing Josquin des Prez. I kept procrastinating. For this Disquiet Junto I forced myself to finish it. I already had a melody lying about that I had written as an unrelated exercise. I added a cantus firmus in the style of Josquin to this melody. I’m not sure how well I succeeded, but I did try my best to incorporate what I found in my analysis.

5 Likes

Good one! Love the spaciousness.

2 Likes

I’d like to hear that album.

Some years ago I pitched to Marc an idea for a Junto where musicians would accompany spoken word recordings.

I thought it’d be called Collab-oration!

4 Likes

@bassling
collab-oration” is brillant.
You know , in Spanish, there’s a word “Colaboratorio” (I think it means “workgroup”) so it would be Collab-Oratorio. Interesting.

This album is in Spanish BTW, the guy is a Spaniard and wrote (and spoke) some dystopian urban short stories à la Black Mirror. I think it’s great, but in Spanish tho. Somebody could make an English translation, mind! it’s just spoken anyway.
His album is called Necropolis and he will release it in march I think.

@apanmusic musi tahnks for your words Erik.

1 Like

Long long ago (in Internet years) I had a lot of fun with Rebirth when it first came out. Several years later the first versions of Reason became available and I remember being impressed with how much was possible. But then I stopped using it completely in favor of other things (spending more time playing acoustical instruments and delving into Ableton). Few months ago I thought about trying out Reason again. Always put it off, until this prompt. Turned out to be somewhat of a classic, dancy approach (it just happened that way), but I did insert some drones, bells, tape effects and so on, just for kicks.

7 Likes

i’ve just finished setting up a drum system in ableton that i like.

midi channel(s) send data to a drum rack which then delivers separate audio streams for (i) kick and toms, (ii) snare, (iii) hihats, and (iv) cymbals.

my thought is that, with the drums split into separate audio streams, it will be easy to independently edit, reverse, glitch, and otherwise manipulate different parts of the kit.

i used the jazz brush kit from ableton’s “drum booth” pack.

however, i’ve recently been thinking - how far can i change the sound of these soft samples using stock effects?

today i finally had a go. i used compression, eq three and pedal to try a get a dirtier “rock” sounding kit.

in my track, you first hear the jazz brush kit. then you hear the same audio streams but this time compressed and eq’d and distorted. then you hear this kit accompanied with a bass line. finally, i add my guitar to the mix.

shamelessly appropriated from gong.

all the best, martin

5 Likes

I liked the assignment, because I have more unfinished tracks than finished ones and year by year I’m postponing the end of procrastination. On this track here I was elaborating since around summer 2020. It began on a tablet app named caustic, using mostly it’s simple modular synth plus some sampler sounds (rhodes, choir, drums).

There were many versions and a lot of version forking before and after this version. There was a 15 minute version with more drums at the finale which felt to long and is lost anyway. There is a 10minute version which I tried to rework with new instruments in reaper, based on a midi export, but whatever I did, it felt wrong, maybe because I used a lot of parameter automatisation in caustic and are now unable to transfer this to reaper.

Anyway, I used this disquiet to say goodby to the VST version and all the others, rebrushed the caustic wav stem exports from a shorter 8minute version in reaper with some eq, fx and mixing and here it is, the only version I like now. Thanks for listening.

I will now delete all other versions … or maybe not …

9 Likes

longtime listener, first time participator. this week’s brief really clicked with me because:
a) i have been wanting to participate in one of these projects for ages but have been putting it off
b) i have also been putting off using the two walkmen/walkmans i got this year in the way i intended to use them (i.e. to make loops)
c) i finally got aalto yesterday and it’s been hugely inspirational, have been playing around with it for hours, incredible synth (but i guess that’s not news to most people here)

so basically this track, or i guess experiment would be a better way to describe it, is me running some aalto sequences through the walkmen, and then running those through the lyra 8’s delay section.

i even made a little video using footage from archive.org

8 Likes

I finished making some presets for a community pack that is going to be released for free later this month. I don’t have any music to share because I was too tired to make a demo with the presets today but I got the important thing done. If you want to keep an eye out for the pack, the presets are for the synth Vital and it is by the Databroth community.

5 Likes