Disquiet Junto Project 0525: Magic Number (1 of 3)

The email containing these instructions went out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto.

Once or twice a year, we do a project that results in an asynchronous trio. It works like this: Someone records something one week, then someone else adds to it the next, and a third person completes the trio the final week. The key thing about the project is that each of the three phases requires the participating musician to leave space for others to be heard. Leaving space for others is a great reminder to people interested in collaboration, and it’s also a sort of “active metaphor” for online communities (and for communities in general), such as the Junto itself.

Oh, and on a practical matter: you don’t need to participate in all three weeks of this trio sequence. You can join in at any point. If you don’t do the first project, you can do the second, and if you skip the second, you can still do the third.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, January 24, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, January 20, 2022.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0525: Magic Number (1 of 3)
The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.

Step 1: This week’s Junto project is the first in a sequence intended to invite, encourage, and reward collaboration. You will be recording something with the understanding that it will remain unfinished for the time being. Your part will be done, but more will happen. Read on.

Step 2: The plan is for you to record a short and original piece of music, on any instrumentation of your choice. Conceive it as something that leaves room for something else — other instruments, other people — to join in.

Step 3: Record a short piece of music, roughly two to three minutes in length, as described in Step 2. When done, if possible, pan the audio so that your piece is solely in the left side of the stereo spectrum.

Step 4: Also, and this is important, be sure, when done, to make your track downloadable, because it will be used by someone else in the next Disquiet Junto project.

Background: We do this trio projects once or twice a year. This marks the third time we’ve done it during the ongoing pandemic. You can read a bit about the relationship between the pandemic, the Junto, and this trio project in this post from just over a year ago:

https://disquiet.com/2021/01/14/disquiet-junto-project-0472-jam-time-1-of-3/

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0525” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0525” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0525-magic-number-1-of-3/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, January 24, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, January 20, 2022.

Length: The length of your finished track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0525” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 525th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Magic Number (1 of 3) (The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio) – at: https://disquiet.com/0525/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0525-magic-number-1-of-3/

6 Likes

And the project is now live.

2 Likes

Love this new email schedule! I got it early afternoon on Thursday, excellent.
I love this collaborative juntos, this time in order to leave as “unfinished” as possible I disciplined myself and decided not to spend more than 30 minutes on my rack.
I recorded a track of a single note (low E) bowed on my upright bass, then I overdubbed 3 tracks of dissonant glissandi here and there, I added two different delays and that’s it.
I didn’t polish it, I’ll finish this myself someday, I’ll add compressors and reverbs but so far what you hear is the charm of a 110 years-old instrument, the resonance of a 500 years old room, and the sound of a gorgeous Telefunken U47 tube mic. Nothing else.

Now somebody finish this, would ya?

It’s 74BPM by the way.

22 Likes

Glad it’s working for you. It’s quite strange for me, in a good way, to wake up and for it all to be done, except the Lines post and the email. I’m digging it.

10 Likes

A low drone in A minor, panned to the left channel. Five modular synth oscillators are modulated with unsynchronized LFOs and lightly processed with a granular module. Most of the modulation subtly slows down through the middle of the track, then picks up a bit during the final portion.

14 Likes

Back in October, I sent one of my friends a drum track for him to embellish later on. However, I have yet to receive anything from him, so I am instead tapping the talents of the Disquiet community to finish the track off.

The drum track is based off the main rhythmic motif found on Santana’s first single, “Jingo”.

The BPM is 130.

14 Likes

I decided to make a drum track since I thought that would make the best foundation for the next person. I started out with the rhythm of the first two bars of Scott Joplin’s “Maple Leaf Rag”. Of course, that’s a piece for piano, but I sort of denatured it of its pitch and left only the rhythm. I tripled that part and put the accents on different beats of those three parts, so one was in 2/4, one was in 3/4, and one was in 5/4. I also did some more fiddling with it to give it some variety. Finally, I added some MIDI randomization so it didn’t sound too mechanical because it was basically an 8-bar loop at that point.

12 Likes

SoundCloud’s a little boring in 2022! Let’s jam visually, too, shall we?

C-minor, 120BPM. Solo Organelle M using the Koto module for Orac and some Orac delay. The instrument seems to suffer from some ground loop that I haven’t identified yet so there’s a little bit of noise at -78dB or so… so it’s a little lo-fi.

13 Likes

Excellent. Don’t hesitate to use a place other than SoundCloud to upload your part of the trio project. When I post the second phase, next week, I’ll include a link to both the SoundCloud playlist and this discussion thread.

1 Like

My contribution for the project. A rhythmic experiment in VCV Rack 2. I am new to this tool. Removed the parts that didn’t fit and left some room for other people’s ideas.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Family quarantine submission. Not a time for a distorted electric guitar…
I put a VCV-rack thing as my left channel part.
(picture) Box
(Patch) Box
Tones C, G, between A and A#, between B and C (not sure…) :grin:

9 Likes

A small beat (90 bpm)
Recording wavelets in ppooll , then processed in Reaper using Variator and MK Slicer scripts by Nikola Lukic (LKC tools)

9 Likes

The playlist of initial solos is now rolling:

5 Likes

Had a lot of fun finally getting some time to play with VCV Rack. Created two generative patches based on D minor scale, with one just picking notes off two LFOs that fed back on each other, and another patch that breaks up chords in an arpeggiator (but slower clocked). Added reverb, brought it into Ableton to tweak a bit more, with added saturation, some delay, a phaser/flanger and some more subtler effects.

The track above is panned hard left, but for those who are interested in the stereo version (the notes randomly move in the stereo field), here is that one as well: Stream [disquiet0525] Dm (Stereo) by Fake Genius | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

15 Likes

Ok, here’s what I made, interested to see where this goes.

(Btw, interested to find out about VCV rack, hadn’t heard of that)

12 Likes

Stream disquiet0525 - Magic Number (1 of 3) by vgmrmojo | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

disquiet0525
Magic Number 1 of 3
• Key: C Major BPM: 124 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: Synth
• Plug-ins: Massive X
• Recorded a chord progression 6 minutes long
• Simple structure/form of: Verse – Chorus – Verse
• Each section approx. 2 minutes long or 65 measures/bars long
• Each chord held for approx. 30 seconds or 16 measures/bars long
• Chord progression: verse Dm7 G7 Cmaj7 Am7 in the key of C Major
• Chord progression: chorus C#m F#maj B Maj G#min in the key of B Major
• Feel free to shorten the recording if you like to say 2, 3 or 4 minutes or maybe not

5 Likes

The track is build around a sequence in some permutations and some probability gimmicks, which I was currently working on for myself. It’s 9/8 in a plain vanilla Cminor scale and it’s 80 bars (plus some outro bars) at constant 90bpm. There is no chord progression. 4 Minutes, because I really like it even yet. I made spare use of fx which could made problems for later musicians. And I did not pan it, because I get headachs listening to panned tracks and everyone here is surely able do this by themselves and maybe the next one prefers to use it unpanned.

“Nine-Eight”, because using some weird nine-eighths beat was my personal starting point (after reading something about Claude Debussy) for this and the topic is “Magic Number”. I’m looking forward if someone is able to go on with this track!

14 Likes

Played the acoustic guitar two times to get a rich sound. It´s recorded with a mic and also the integrated piezo pickup. Added some saturation, eq, comp and reverb (g-minor, 104bpm). I´m very curious what will happen next.

15 Likes

Made this with Norns script Animator, grid and modular. Morphing terrarium, Dirty glitch (percussive) and Lich (rose oscillator) are the voices. These plus the internal audio from the script.

The tempo is 90 bpm for anyone interested in adding to it. No compression but some very minor effects added in post. It’s a little busy in the middle but this could be edited out if so.

14 Likes