Disquiet Junto Project 0527: Magic Number (3 of 3)

Special Note: You may contribute more than one track this week. Usually Junto projects have a one-track-per-participant limit. This week you can do a second one. Please see additional details in Step 5 below.

Answer to Frequent Question: You don’t need to have uploaded a duet in last week’s project or a solo in the previous week’s project to participate in this week’s third phase of the trio sequence.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, February 7, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, February 3, 2022.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0527: Magic Number (3 of 3)

The Assignment: Complete an asynchronous trio begun by two other musicians.

Step 1: This week’s Disquiet Junto project is the third in a sequence that encourages and rewards asynchronous collaboration. This week you will be adding music to a pre-existing track, which you will source from the previous week’s Junto project (disquiet.com/0526). Note that you are finishing a trio — you’re creating the third part of what two previous musicians began. Please keep this in mind.

Step 2: The plan is for you to record an original piece of music, on any instrumentation of your choice, as a complement to a pre-existing track. First, however, you must select the piece of music to which you will be adding your own music. There are tracks by numerous musicians to choose from. The majority are in this playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/disquiet/sets/disquiet-junto-project-0526

And additional tracks appear in the discussion:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0526-magic-number-2-of-3/

(Note that it’s possible another track or two will pop up in or disappear from that playlist and discussion. Things are fluid on the internet.)

To select a track, you can listen through all those and choose one, or simply look around and select, or you can come up with a random approach to sifting through them.

Note: It’s fine if more than one person uses the same original duet track as the basis for their trio.

It is strongly encouraged that you look through the above discussion on the Lines forum, because many tracks include additional contextual information there.

Step 3: Record a piece of music, roughly the length of the piece of music you selected in Step 2. Your track should complement the piece from Step 2, and it should be placed dead center between the left and right stereo channels. When composing and recording your part, do not alter the original piece of music at all. To be clear: the track you upload won’t be your piece of music alone; it will be a combination of the track from Step 2 and yours.

Step 4: Also be sure, when done, to make the finished track downloadable, because it may be used by someone else in a subsequent Junto project.

Step 5: As with last week, you can contribute more than one track this week. You can do up to two total. If you choose to do a second, you should preferably try to use a duet track that no one else has used yet. The goal is for many as people as possible to benefit from the experience of being part of an asynchronous collaboration. After a lot of detailed instruction, that is the spirit of this project.

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0527” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0527” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0527-magic-number-3-of-3/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, January 31, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, January 27, 2022.

Length: The length should be roughly the same as the duet track you selected.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0527” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 527th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Magic Number (3 of 3) (The Assignment: Complete an asynchronous trio begun by two other musicians) – at: https://disquiet.com/0527/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0527-magic-number-3-of-3/

4 Likes

The project is now live.

4 Likes

Early bird again, thanks to the new email schedule!

recitativo lamentoso quasi requiem
with @PaulBeaudoin & @morgulbee

My recording over two A minor drones

based on Stream Disquiet0526 (v.2 A Minor Drone) by Paul Beaudoin | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
that was based on Stream A Minor Drone - Disquiet0525 by morgulbee | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I played my Indian Harmonium and punctuated each end of stanza with a single upright bass note.
I think this is the one I nailed better from my tries this week.

Over the roofs
with @buckminster & @Sternklang

I think there’s something baroque on the original duet track by sternklang & buckminster something on the musical phrases, I don’t know . Anyway, I decided that a sort of Harpsichord could work, it didn’t so I used a picked piano instrument from Soniccouture’s Xtended Piano library. I added some sparse cello and strings to punctuate the classical feel. Honestly I need to sleep on this one to decide if this was a good idea…

Based on https://soundcloud.com/sternklang/over-the-roofs-and-chimneys-clouds-gather-disquiet0526

That was based on https://soundcloud.com/buckminster-music/on-the-roofs-and-chimneys-excerpt-for-disquiet0525

Magic?
with @ntrier & @undermulden

Based on https://soundcloud.com/undermulden/lamps-with-nate-trier-magic-number-2-of-3-disquiet0526
A track that is a development from Nate Trier’s https://soundcloud.com/triermusic/baridrone-disquiet0525

I played an electric bass part (harmonics imitating the original track’s crystal drop melodies). I wasn’t happy so I added a rhythmic picked bass part (that I edited afterwards)

Still not happy I performed a solo on my electric bass but it wasn’t quite working.

So I reversed it. But still not happy I recorded a fourth track, adding a Twin Peaks style bass.

I ended up recording 4 tracks on the very same instrument…not a good clue of what was happening: I had an idea but I wasn’t quite making what I intended.
So I don’t think I did nothing great to the beautiful original, but it was fun and my contribution can still be improved in the future. I may revisit this.

16 Likes

thanks Daniel Diaz & Encym

7 Likes

For some reason, getting the last two tracks done was a rapid process this week, perhaps because work was long today. Both tracks were selected using a random number generator form last week’s playlist.

Anyhow; the first up is based on @Sternklang and SliverSounds’ groovy “Now Positive Too”. This piece involved some Juno-60 swells and DX-7 twinkles joining their duet, hopefully lifting us all somewhere closer to the stars along the way:

The second number is based on the terrific “Liquid Hats and Coats” duet by @33per and @Zedkah, with an extemporised solo on an MFB Dominion Club monosynth run through a little bit of Space Echo-clone VST and a touch of Valhalla Supermassive after the fact:

7 Likes

And the playlist has begun to roll:

3 Likes

thanks @disquiet
my track Over The Roofs (disquiet0527) is not there, weird, I think the tag is good…
thanks
dd

1 Like

Oh, yeah, there’s a limit on two tracks per musician in the playlist, so I just added the first two.

1 Like

ah, ok, no problem…thanks

1 Like

Thanks for understanding.

1 Like

I completely missed the “two total” on the instructions, sorry for that! (my track was done yesterday anyway). The two on the playlist are the keepers, good for me.

1 Like

A small patch mixing CV and trying different Lich oscillators through MTM’s Drive resulted in some recordings. These were combined with a bespoke synth recording and processed with some unfiltered audios plugins. Thanks @chaonaut and @halF_unusuaL for the collab and @disquiet for an immensley fun trio of Junto’s :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I used the 2 part collaboration “New Positive” by SinnySounds (@nsinnenberg), which used “Now Positive” by @gis_sweden. Both tracks were percussive, so I added spacey female vocal pads to the center along with a few piano arps, treated with reverb and tape effects.

11 Likes

Thank you very much for adding to this! You can actually credit me as SinnySounds as opposed to nsinnenberg.

2 Likes

@euclidian with @Fnubi

9 Likes

Added a field recording of small waves hitting the coast to the beautiful contribution of @pidgin and @melondruie. The field recording is really quiet but I thought the pulses of the waves support the atmosphere very well. You can hear it alone just in the beginning.
Also did some volume and EQ automation to hear the magic happening in the quiet parts of the piano and clouds track.
Just for pleasing the ears I put some tape saturation, eq and a tiny bit reverb on the whole mix.

11 Likes

Hi.

I shuffled around the playlist last night, playing just seconds of each track. So much nice ideas floating around in this project! I randomly chose a few tracks, pieces that I felt I could easily fit into with my style/sound. I really liked the saturated sound on the piece from Dan Simpson & Niemi, so That’s a good start for the weekend.

I added some tape echo feedback on the original two tracks from dan-simpson and j-benjamin-niemi, then placed an electric piano sound. (Felt instruments Cienmo) in D# major, dead center for bass and melodic movement, plus some twinkles (Lekko) on top to balance it. Thank you for listening.

10 Likes

First finished track is based on @encym’s and @DeDe’s collaboratoin: uno/duo/trio (disquiet0526). It was a bit of a challenge and great fun :slight_smile: I sent forested Forester2022 audio (buffered uno/duo/trio (disquiet0526) track) into reaper and improvised while listening to the collaboration. So similar to encym’s approach. I then used the dynamics to route and trigger various fx in reaper. I tried to keep the left and right elements separated and audible througout the recording.

12 Likes

I love it, makes me (the bassist) sound like the guy playing during the Titanic sinking …the whole world sounds like falling apart around him but the guys keeps it going…
love that steady/chaotic contrast.

6 Likes

Thanks @SlimOvni i second part and @morgulbee first part.

12 Likes