Disquiet Junto Project 0534: Transition Capsule

Here’s my “transition capsule”. I had the idea of something like Eno’s Discreet music. As per usual, I can’t really explain the title. I tend to go with the first words/phrase that pop in my head.

3 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/mpito-disquiet0534

5 Likes

“To be bored simply means to be removed from the communicative sensation-stimulus matrix of texting, YouTube and fast food; to be denied, for a moment, the constant flow of sugary gratification on demand.” - Mark Fisher

The track starts off with the completion of a zoom meeting as a worker opens a door to walk to their next conference. Rather than absorb their surroundings, the worker instead spends the walk staring at their phone bombarded with digital stimuli.

Within the span of less than one minute 30 seconds, the worker has already begun their next zoom meeting.

3 Likes

Some years ago, when visiting the USA I told my friends we didn’t have Oreo cookies in Sweden. They were chocked and bought me Oreo… Now we have Oreo. (Not because of me). Guess Pop Tars will come.

2 Likes

Musings on the time between. Noises, field recording (Powell St BART station) modulated, filtered and automated.

3 Likes

Tried a (simple) transition from something a bit disconcerting, into a dreamy state, and into a resolved end, just before you go back into reality. Like a brief walk in a garden filled with strange flowers, at first they may provoke, as your brain gets stretched a bit before the relief.

4 Likes

Great prompt (maybe because it hits close to home as someone whose day job is based in their spare bedroom, hopping between video calls).

I had an idea for a patch on my modular system before this week’s Disquiet Junto prompt was shared and figured I’d try to combine the two. Ran out of time for the Junto cutoff before I could get this the patch to what I had envisioned so here’s a snapshot along the way.

You’ve only got about 4 minutes to get to the next video call, so here’s something easy going.

Essentially a two-voice patch, slower chord voice with faster wavefolded melody voice on top. Slower one passed through granular processing - buffer frozen when not rising - faster one mixed in with a field recording I made a while back. Some minor editing in Live.

Key equipment:
Music Thing Modular Turing Machine
Mutable Instruments Plaits, Beads
DivKid/Instruo Ochd
Joranalogue Compare 2
Addac Manual Latches
Tascam DR-05X
Ableton Live

5 Likes

I have been working in my home office for almost two years now. Every week I spend at least one third of my working-hours in virtual meetings. Therefore, this project describes a situation I know only too well…
My personal approach is to try to calm down in the few minutes between meetings, to take the mindful approach, let the thoughts drift away and to focus on my breathing.

End of last week Spitfire had the Apex22 promotion, and I used my wife’s christmas present for me to purchase Olafur Arnalds Stratus on Thursday… This track is my first getting to know with Stratus - apart from all the strings (Olafur Arnalds Evolutions :slight_smile: ) and the choir and bass harmonics of the last section all sounds are from that library. Those evolving piano-sounds with all these echoes and variations are great, but the danger will be that I overuse them.

The music is meant to let the listeners get into the vibe, and then help them to focus on their inner selves and let their thoughts drift away like clouds…

For the last projects I used more technical approaches, for this one I enjoyed playing the melodies and chords on the keyboard and improvising most of them in one go.

The unobtrusive field recordings shall illustrate this calming down - from underground to windmill to waves.

4 Likes

Hello All. During a lunch break I recorded the ambience of a nearby park and the wind playing with last seasons dry leaves (An audible transition from winter to spring). This is a place I often go to recalibrate my mind after long meetings or stressful work. Often listening to some music I am working on. So this is my mental aid to induce “the sort of reorientation that used to be provided by breaks and travel between meetings.” Not so much to say about the music itself, other than that I started with the field recording and set the mood based on the ambient small city noises.

Here’s the result:

4 Likes

Hi all,
An interactive transition for you.
Hope you are all well.
Peace.
Jeff

2 Likes

Hi, folks. I think all the tracks are now in the playlist. If I missed yours, let me know.