Disquiet Junto Project 0542: 2600 Club

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, May 23, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, May 19, 2022.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0542: 2600 Club
The Assignment: Make some phreaking music

Thanks to Alan Bland for proposing this concept for a project.

Step 1: The number 2600 holds particular meaning in hacker circles. Roughly half a century ago, it was discovered that 2600 cycles per second, or 2600 hertz, was the frequency that let people gain operator-level access to phone systems. If this story isn’t familiar, a quick web search will bring you up to speed. It’s widely documented. Familiarize (or re-familiarize) yourself with the doors opened by a whistle at 2600 cycles per second.

Step 2: Make music that somehow engages with the number 2600. You might employ a tone of 2600 hertz, though fair warning it’s quite high-pitched. You might simply use a whistle, in celebration of the Cap’n Crunch toy at the center of the 2600 phone phreaking (as it was called) story. Or you might come up with some other sonic exploration of the number.

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0542” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0542” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0542-2600-club/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, May 23, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, May 19, 2022.

Length: The length is up to you. How long can you exhale?

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0542” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 542nd weekly Disquiet Junto project – 2600 Club (The Assignment: Make some phreaking music) – at: https://disquiet.com/0542/

Thanks to Alan Bland for proposing this concept for a project.

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0542-2600-club/

Image by arbyreed. And it is used (cropped, with text added) thanks to a Creative Commons Attribution-license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/. Original at https://flic.kr/p/56Efud.

2 Likes

A new Thursday, a new project. Thanks to @morgulbee for having proposed it.

2600 Club

10 Likes

ChucK skript => 2 x WAVs => FL-Studio (granular synth x 2 + delay + reverb).

10 Likes

Hi all, hope you are well :slight_smile: Here’s my first foray into I2C with Norns > crow connected to Just friends. Using the amazing script Less Concepts 3 and grid. Four outputs from JF go into A/B switches so that I can easily switch into higher notes or lower notes as needed. The patch is mostly controlled by 11 snapshots I made in Less concepts which are sequenced by the script and sent to JF via Crow and I2C. These notes go into some A/B switches and then a mixer. From there they go into a DIY Ripples filter modulated by a DIY Swamp which is also modulating JF’s ramp and curve with Smooth random CV.

The audio from passersby engine was recorded to Norns tape. JF was captured by bespoke synth and sent through some reverb. The midi was sent into an ARP 2600 vst. These captures were then combined and processed in the daw. I have tried to create something with a hacker feel to it :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I set up some tone generators at 2600hz, 2605hz to get a beating frequency effect and then used subharmonics (?) of 1300hz, 1302hz, 650hz, 325hz and 112.5hz. These were fed through a mixer, Clouds, Spacecraft and wire recorder sim, Wires. I did a sofa jam, and recorded the result.

11 Likes

“Shooting The Moon, 26 Times 100” by Wishbook

I rubbed the oil from my eyes, turned my head and passed to my left. I withdrew and then reinserted the Atari 2600 cartridge.

Recorded & mixed - 11 Jan 2016, 15 Jul 2007 & 19 May 2022 by Jim Lemanowicz at Blissville Electro-Magnetic Laboratories of Massapequa.

©2022 Jim Lemanowicz

Process notes -
Two recordings I made of sax were stretched & split between 26 tracks in Ableton Live to a length of 100 seconds.

Background -
In the early '80s, it was common among my small circle of friends to try to mess with both the Atari 2600 and 800 physically and logically, in an entirely random fashion - that’s always been “hacking” to me. We also played Hearts frequently. Sometimes the most exciting thing about that was “Shooting the moon.”

PS, I always sucked at math.

Art - Jim Lemanowicz, 27 Feb 2010

6 Likes

2600 Hugs Ευάγγελος Οδυσσέας Παπαθανασίου

Goodbye beloved Ευάγγελος Οδυσσέας Παπαθανασίου :heart:

Made with NI Maschine+

9 Likes

I learned about the 2600 Hz thing and , on my usual further reading I learned a new word: Phreaking.
Nice.

This one’s for Βαγγέλης Παπαθανασίου.
RIP

Created Thurs 19/05/2022 late night , mixed Fri 20/05/2022 morning.

Photo by Wendy Scofield
Synths by DD

9 Likes

so I fitted as many things as possible to this number
chord progression 2600 : dm7, c6, no chord, no chord
and as many of the fx settings as possible were set to 2600 or parts thereof.

The vox text is direct from wikipedia, playback at speed, at 0.2600 x and at 2.600x
and vocoded onto a 2600hz tone.

6 Likes

I borrowed SuperCollider code that I thought could help me create telecom type of sounds. Most of it from the SC140 project (the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 14th, and 15th code chunks from archive.org/details/sc140) and one other chunk from sccode.org/1-5eT.

I replaced all the numbers in the code with variations of 2600 (usually divisions by whole numbers), such as 0.26, 2.6, 52, 780, 1300, and where possible, 2600, trying to stay within the ballpark of the original code (but experimenting a bit). I ran the code, recorded the output in SC, imported to DAW, panned, sidechain-compressed some, added a small dose of reverb to the master track and did basic mastering with Ozone Elements.

I was unsure whether this would be a meaningful exercise but I enjoyed the result. One thing even came out as a kind of usable melody (because some numbers in the SC code defined a sequence pattern and changing them to variations of 2600 somehow worked fine musically).

6 Likes

7 Likes

2 juntos in a row, who would have guessed it

divisions of 2600 bpm semi-generative black metal sludge.

did you know that 2600 bpm converts to 43.333 hz ?
( at least according to this online calculator i found , )

5 Likes

I went all in for this assignment. There’s everything:
:ballot_box_with_check: dial-up sounds
:ballot_box_with_check: chip-tune arpeggios on an analog 3-oscillator Moog synth
:ballot_box_with_check: glitched percussion
:ballot_box_with_check: vocoding
:ballot_box_with_check: lyrics generated with Python code
:ballot_box_with_check: tempo is 128 which is a power of two
:ballot_box_with_check: ends in total digital distortion destruction
:ballot_box_with_check: it’s also arguably a club track, with a house-friendly tempo and beat
:ballot_box_with_check: the cover art is a spectrogram of the initial part of the piece showing the dial-up sounds
:ballot_box_with_check: the font in the cover art is Terminus, an old school hacker font I’m using

Lyrics

two six double oh
only helps it grow
now i know

i don’t recognize myself from before
little one
sing me a song of

two six double oh
that’s the number of
bodies down below
i will help it grow
deal the final blow

i don’t remember myself from before
little one
sing me a song of
crimes we get away with

11 Likes

In this little sketch entitled “HZ So Bad”, I used Massive in Ableton to generate a note, which I tuned to 2600hz and then truncated and looped to sound like a rhythmic bell which starts the piece starts. I then added various tracks - simple guitars and soft bassoon to fill it out.

9 Likes

The playlist is rolling:

3 Likes

Hey All,
I have to say I was very saddened by Vangelis’s passing. He had a very big impact on me at an early age and inspired me to get my mom to buy me my first synth(Korg Poly 800 II). It had a delay fx on it which I loved.

So I decided to spend last night getting the Arturia V Collection 9 downloaded to my computer so I could use a CS-80 today, which was one of many synths he used. I also piddled with the new Korg MS-20, SQ 80 and the Augmented Voices. I then faded those in and out of each other. I wanted to have very high pitched sounds and I set the BPM to 26.00. This is the result.

Hope all are well. Peace, Hugh

Here is a video of Vangelis using a CS-80. Pretty cool stuff.

4 Likes

hi, I’m not on the playlist, well my track was tagged disquiet2600, sorry for that.
Always ahead of my time.
Corrected to disquiet0542 now.
Thanks
dd

1 Like

Recorded at phrase using the highest harmonic on a guitar, then stretched it to aprox 2600 hz, then made new parts by stretching. Added pad made from the original recording.

3 Likes

Very cool video indeed, thanks for sharing that. I’ll miss the guy…

Now I want a CS80…

1 Like