Disquiet Junto Project 0548: Drone Vox

Instructions for this project first popped up at disquiet.com/0548 (powers of automation willing) shortly after 12:10am Pacific Time on June 30, and then at twitter.com/disquiet a little further along. (I was asleep at the time, despite the summer heat.) The email containing those instructions went out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto later in the morning (after I woke up), and then I posted them here.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, July 4, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, June 30, 2022.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0548: Drone Vox

The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.

Step 1: Think about what constitutes drone music.

Step 2: Make some drone music from nothing other than the sound of your own voice. You can manipulate and layer your voice, but please add no other instrumentation.

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0548” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0548” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0548-drone-vox/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, July 4, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, June 30, 2022.

Length: The length is up to you. It can be longer than you can hold a note.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0548” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 548th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Drone Vox (The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice) – at: https://disquiet.com/0548/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0548-drone-vox/

Image by Nevit Dilmen used thanks to a Creative Commons license (cropped, text/color added), according to which this reworking is also available for reuse by the same terms:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Medical_X-Ray_imaging_EJE04_nevit.jpg

4 Likes

Stream Drone Vox Requiem disquiet0548 by Bobo Lavorgna | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I have named this track Drone Vox Requiem disquiet0548 in honor of the memory of Marc’s father and my son-in-law who we will honor this weekend. I recorded a basic vocal drone track (and all tracks) using Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone, A Macbook Pro, and Garageband. One of the tracks I varied the tones by changing the shape of my mouth to produce variations in the sound and tone of my voice. I did use looping, because I have not figured out how to do circular breathing.

4 Likes

And the playlist is now rolling:

1 Like

Last week I spent a day at SF General emergency room with my mother. There were lots of sounds - beeps, murmurs and screams - that all sounded like “drone music” to my ear because everything seemed like a blur. I recorded a conversation between two security guards as I sat in a hallway at one point. This piece is based on that recording. At the top I use a delayed vocal effect on exclamatory Oh-s for elongated rhythm. I then picked out rhythmic words and looped them. In the middle is the unspliced original.

OK. I re-read the instruction and realize I did not use my own voice! I’ll see if I can make another piece in time with my voice.

8 Likes

Recorded with MacBook pro in Ableton live
uses Puremagnetik FOG
outside recording, you can hear the birds and noise

10 Likes

love this, the full recording in the middle is a great touch that really grounds it and lets the beginning and end take off. I hope you and your mother are ok

3 Likes

“Prelude In Preparation” by Yeast With Teeth

Recorded, mixed & mastered 30 Jun 2022 by Jim Lemanowicz at Blissville Electro-Magnetic Laboratories of Massapequa.

©2022 Jim Lemanowicz

Process notes - 6 tracks of my voice, distorted, edited, sliced in Ableton Live

6 Likes

Skipped the last few weeks and glad to be back with the Junto!
After listening to a few drone records I sat down and recorded a few layers of my voice, pitch-shifted and EQd.

Not being comfortable with using my voice as an instrument, I imagined as if I played a familiar synth. And I tried to do what I like about drone and sounds in general - subtle and not-so-subtle timbral modulations and dissonances.

7 Likes

hello.

i decided to return to the junto with this project. the last one i did was 349, so it’s been almost 200 projects/4 years.

i started by recording my voice making various held sounds, using sound forge studio (but i suspect any audio editor would have been fine). i found i couldn’t hold a sound for more than a few seconds but i do not have practice with singing. i used a fairly basic mic as i don’t have my condenser set up currently (i have recently moved house).

i brought the sounds into acid pro and arranged them somewhat arbitrarily. i then slowed down the tempo to 40bpm and applied a great deal of processing. for the vocal clips i mainly applied cableguys halftime, plus izotope’s nectar 3 and vocalsynth 2. i tried to make the sibilant sounds (s and sh) into something of a rhythm but that didn’t really work out.

i then ran the master through some more processing, i used the same plugins again plus audio damage’s other desert cities and some mastering tools to clean up the sound.

i wanted the sound to be unrecognisable as a human voice. i did not want to have any recognisable sound at all in the piece.

sometimes i like listening to drone music, particularly on soma fm’s drone zone channel. i guess this is a small attempt to sound a little like steve roach, pete namlook, etc.

7 Likes

Very quick turnaround this time! I feel like textural shifts are very important in drone music, so I spent a bit of time playing around with how to get interesting formants in my vocal performance. I cycled through all the vowels in one breath, and slowed that down to get the main drone. I actually only used the very end of this 15 second sample - I love how the raspy crackle sounds as I’m reaching the end of my breath.

I really love the Digitakt for drone music - I set up a ping-pong play mode on most of these tracks, and just let them run their course. The wave crashing sound is just the Bit Reduction amount set to a slow sine wave LFO.

I only used three vocal samples in this track, and just played around with filtering and LFOs for the rest. Tons of delay feedback towards the end to create a gentle pad-like quality. Really fun process, and very quick to put together something I’m happy with! (the slightly cat-sounding yowls at around 3:30 notwithstanding)

9 Likes

This is just a snippet of me talking in a work context, a meeting recording. I thought using spoken-word from the least musical context was a good laugh - something about droning on in meetings, the New Zillund accent, my accent specifically, something…

Then all I did was send the recording into a convolution reverb, using a 45-second impulse response from a disused radar dome in Germany. Thank you Antony for the recording! freesound.org/people/mugwood/packs/7592/

I chopped the front 50 seconds off the recording, so it starts when the convolution is already going nuts and that’s it. I was pleasantly surprised by the many layers from this single effect.

6 Likes

I felt as though I’ve done similar Junto projects before, but arrived at an idea to create a vocal bed for a song that I might sing later.

So I tried to sing an accompaniment for that song.

I recorded four takes, but the camera battery ran out of charge during the last.

Then I panned them and added a little reverb, but decided to keep it raw because it seemed I didn’t have any reason to add effects.

Although the growling part early on unsettles me, there’s a bit in the second half that I don’t mind.

8 Likes

Yesterday midnight, after I got the email , I dared to sing some tracks improvising harmonies in C major.
It was fun, I did some serious Melodyne, particularly on the first basic tracks (2 of them) then two more falsetto improvisations and a 5th track using pitch shift for some extreme lows.

The rest is 4 reverbs:
Valhalla Hypemassive
Lexicon Random Hall (@22 sec)
St Patrick cathedral impulse response
Some automated LFO filter on a long Valhalla reverb

Created on the first hours of Friday July 1st 2022.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Hey All,
When I think of drones I think of disintegration. Some people find them calming and meditative but I get very slight anxiety from them. I have to admit that they remind me of death and that everything passes on no matter how real we make things by holding on to them. I guess I am just not that evolved cause this causes me unease.
I thought this poem went well with my unease. It is full of doubt and questions.
I used my own voice. I pitched one track down 5 an off set it to create some dissonance.
Hope all are well.

Peace. Hugh

6 Likes

Recorded six clips of me holding different notes and looped them, fed them through delay, ‘verb and overdrive. I then slowed down the playback of the mix to bring out my inner Barry White

5 Likes

Thank you @disquiet for this inspiring project, and condolences on the death of your father.
My mother-in-law died 2 months ago, my mother nearly 2 years, so I thought of them while creating the track.

First I recorded my voice into my smartphone, singing steady vocals and trying to create resonances and harmonic tones. I ended up with 4 audios that I used. I transformed them in Audacity using Paul-Stretch (factors mostly between 2 and 3, one 7 and one 12 were applied), pitching some down one octave and playing one backwards. From the “E” I created 3 audios, the 3 other sounds “U”, “J” and “I” were transformed once. I was really surprised by the great results!
I placed the audios in a Cubase project on parallel tracks just following an inspiration how they should appear.
Then I did EQing between the different audios. Finally I created 6 Effects-channels and automated sends from the different audio-tracks. Not much was changed after the first layout, only automations at transistions and volume-levelling between tracks.

If this track can be called drone, it is my first drone! That is one of the reasons why I love this Junto.

5 Likes

An offering for your consideration …

4 Likes

I put a mic in a tall glass and found a vocal pitch that felt nice and resonant - in my throat and also complimented the resonance of the glass. I then recorded a sample of this to a Make Noise Morphagene, with it pitched two octaves down, set up to morph over the sample and modulate the pitch a little. This was then pitched to a wasp filter (slight freq modulation) and a dual delay. I tracked four minutes of this, then tracked another four minutes with the sample pitched another octave down.

11 Likes

Here’s mine. Recorded in a single take. SM58 into TipTop FSU in Sound On Sound Mode, then into the resonator of Mutable Instruments Elements. Kept adding layers and adjusting knobs. Valhalla Supermassive reverb and eq/compression added afterwards in Live.

Appologies to Stevie Smith for the title.

4 Likes