Disquiet Junto Project 0559: Yes Exit

These instructions first popped up at disquiet.com/0559 (thank you, powers of automation!) shortly after 12:10am Pacific Time on September 15, and then at twitter.com/disquiet a little further along. (I was asleep at the time.) The email containing those instructions went out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto later in the morning (after I woke up), and then I posted them here.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, September 19, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 15, 2022.

Tracks are added to the SoundCloud playlist for the duration of the project. Additional (non-SoundCloud) tracks appear in the llllllll.co discussion thread.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0559: Yes Exit
The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.

The latest update of your favorite (or least favorite, or simply most used) conference call app has introduced a new degree of personalization. You can now create your own entrance tone and exit tone, so people know when you joined and left a call.

This is a one-step project: record your own entrance tone and exit tone for conference calls.

Note: When posting, combine them into one track with a pause/silence in between.

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0559” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0559” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0559-yes-exit/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, September 19, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 15, 2022.

Length: The length is up to you. These will likely be quite brief.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0559” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 559th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Yes Exit (The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls) – at: https://disquiet.com/0559/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0559-yes-exit/

3 Likes

For this Junto I’m sharing a couple of chords that were recorded earlier this week while on a residency at The Corridor Project in Wyangala.

They came to mind when I saw the prompt, then I added a little delay after trying to gate the noise of the fridge humming in the background.

10 Likes

@disquiet Thanks a ton for letting me know about this feature! It’s possibly the only bit of joy that can be squeezed out of some particularly dreary software.

I don’t know what will really work in the context of Zoom, but for the entrance jingle, I put together something soft and tune out-able, but with a feel still somewhere in the realm of Iron Chef/pro wrestling entrance music.

I think the exit jingle will be heard less often because people often exit all at once and are in a hurry to shift their attention elsewhere, so I went with something faster and slightly more dissonant. (It’s an adapted outtake from another piece I finished recently.)

10 Likes

And the instructions have now been posted.

I moved. I’m back.

I like to have a “smooth entrance” and a “glitchy exit”. Because if you have technical problems, or perceived technical problems, then everybody understands.

This audio is extracted from my 2006 track “Money Agent”, which is a mix of shortwave loops I recorded and “cut up” for processing, and some original ambient recordings.

The original track “Money Agent” is on the streamers or can be heard at Bandcamp: Money Agent | Mark Rushton and Jon Harnish | Mark Rushton

11 Likes

Hi all. Entrance call drums created by Euclidean script running on Crow to Addac VC T-networks (percussion circuit in roland drum machine). Melody from Teletype script ‘Mood Ring’ into Braids vco and radioactive vco and ladder filter.

Exit noise created by DIY Zlob triple cap chaos module with Skorn da Bask as input and modulation from Erica swamp.

10 Likes

I found an unused leftover snippet from a modular recording. Beefed it up a bit with a granular effect and some distortion. Boy, that was fun!

Next thing we should do is a Zoom call and guess who’s joining the conversation by their tunes :wink:

9 Likes

So, I was thinking of a jingle I like, which gives the confidence of a hard worker, someone bringing their “A”-game. In my mind there is none above the Samsung dishwasher jingle. When you hear those ~40 seconds of Schubert’s “Die Forelle”, you know a job has been well done. Having your audience wait ~40 seconds before the jingle passes, screams some kind of confidence.

The exit is just a lingering loop after it all was over and done.

6 Likes

Having been to a lot of recent meetings that were a royal pain, I decided that I should announce my arrivals and exits with a royal flourish.

Entry with a gap then exit

Just some Reaktor horns.

9 Likes

Hey All,
I may not have mentioned it before but I am a mid-level servant in the Illuminati. Back in the old days it was difficult to communicate with others in the service. You can imagine how difficult it was to control the world before the internet came along. So many hours of waiting in airports and on planes. There was rarely anytime for eating babies.
Now things are so much easier with digital meeting spaces. I have no idea what happens in higher ranking meetings but I do wonder about it sometimes when the orders come down. I personally could have done without the covid directive. I, and more than you would imagine of my fellow colleagues, would like to apologize for that one.
Which brings us to our tones.
Our tone increases as all servants join in. When the gang is all present the tone will stop and the meeting gets started. To be honest the IM chat bar is what I enjoy. The regional manager is so boring
,unless he has just eaten a baby, then he is hysterical.
I hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

9 Likes

11 Likes

Well, I can’t make it more personal than by using my own name, including my first two official initials, so that will be H.F. Lasschuit. And then I let myself be inspired by the musical signatures of Bach and Shostakovitch. H is the German name for the B, La is the French name for the A, the S becomes E flat (which we call Es). “Uit” is Dutch for “the end”. So for my entrance tone I use the two initials, H and F, that become B and F with some nice delay and for the exit tone La, S, S, C, H and “uit” become A, E flat, E flat, C, B and there it stops: the end! I gave them a nice filter sweep and drenched them in reverb.

6 Likes

On boring calls, I’d like to leave as soon as I’ve made my entrance :smiley:

10 Likes

Not something I’d normally do … So thanks for that :grinning:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Base track - sine wave @ 82hz [my birth year] into Ableton.

Entrance: Echo Spatter 2 + Stun Echo - for an omnious entrance!
Exit: Major Wah + Space Syncopations + Dub Frolic - because I’m just that chaotic.

6 Likes

I immediately had the idea to create these cues not for my “normal life”, but if RabMusicLab would participate in conference calls. So these micro-compositions should be typical for my music…

I started by assembling instrument-tracks from different of my projects that I especially like.

So I gathered 4 Hauschka toolset tracks (piano based), two Olafur Arnalds Evolutions (strings) and one LABS string track, two Hainbach Landfill totems tracks, one Hohner Organetta and one Steinberg Verve (felt piano). Cubase users recently obtained a free Arturia CS80 plugin, and I loved the sounds at once. So in addition there are two CS80 Pads, and two CS80 leads layering one Hainbach and the Organetta respectively.
I enjoyed bulding the short melodies with the 15 sounds, but had a really hard time EQing and mixing. I had to freeze the virtual instruments since my laptop was overloaded with all these instruments…
I know there are way to many sounds and intermingling voices, but then I didn`t want to delete any and regarded it as challenge.

And I am motivated to expand this to a whole track some time…

8 Likes

This was fun and ended up being surprisingly personal in the end, as others have noted. Started out that I had a simple idea for an exit but it ended up that I made two distinct sounds that could work for either exiting or entering a meeting depending on my mood and the context / participants - got me reflecting a bit on aspects of my personality and professional habitus in an unexpectedly deep way.

Anyway … pretty straightforward stuff technically, did the second one first following on from a session experimenting with the UAD Echoplex plugin - been a big fan of John Martyn’s music for many years but hadn’t really tried to emulate his techniques till now. Just a bit of reverse reverb and a simple chord into the echo. The first one was initially meant to be more of an Entrance - snippet of a rhythmic patch on Aalto layered with a snippet from a more melodic patch on the Arturia Music Easel, again through Echoplex and the Softube Wasted Space verb that I’ve been demoing.

>here<

6 Likes

I was going pass on this project since I’m pretty busy right now but this seemed short and doable. Plus, a fun idea popped into my head after reading the description. I haven’t been on conference calls in a while but since most are boring or unpleasant, I thought an uplifting, over-the-top happy idea would be appropriate.

I remembered seeing some videos about the jingles that Japanese train stations played. Although I’m half Japanese and was born in Japan, I haven’t heard them personally. What intrigued me was each station has its own unique synthesized tune. Most are nice and cheerful sounding. I sampled two melodies that I liked from Tokyo’s Yamanote Line – Tokyo Station (JY-01) and Akihabara Station (JY-03). I processed them in Ableton Live using Morph EQ by Minimal Audio and Valhalla DSP’s SpaceModulator. I got the melodies from a couple of YouTube videos, so hopefully the station info is correct.

11 Likes

I wake up in the middle of the night, often with ‘head melodies’. This one has been driving me mildly insane, as it won’t go away. Seemed perfect then for a conference call entry and exit cue. For sure, It would set a certain tone. I’ve bought this to life with a Garageband synth, female choirs, orchestral percussion and strings. Parts of this head melody was in-between semi-tones so the pitch bend came in handy.

7 Likes