Disquiet Junto Project 0564: Octave Lept

a very quick track in Logic with:
-mallet instrument with note repeater set to 1 repeat, an octave up
-mallet instrument with note repeater set to 1 repeat, an octave up
-bass instrument with note repeater set to 1 repeat, an octave up
-pitch kick drum with note repeater set to 1 repeat, an octave up
-drum machine using strokes to make the rhythm. No note repeater/octave setting used

9 Likes

Hey All.
Using octaves really reminds me of when I first started playing synth. I liked unison cause it gave a big sound and I liked how it clipped notes. I would play synth bass lines that went up and down octaves cause even to this day I have little music theory knowledge and using octave keeps it simple and kinda 80’s.
If I did my job well the melody at the end will make your mind hear the octave jump even though it does not exist in this reality. It exists in the reality of the imagination. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

4 Likes

Fun with grain delay in Ableton! Featuring octave Ds and panning effects.

All tracks running through the Minor Third Down grain delay effect: 500ms spray, random pitch at 25, feedback at 60%, dry/wet at 50%.

D5: Grand Piano VST
D4: Sagittarius Lead VST, panned right
D3: Bach 16th Arpeggiator + Ambient Monastery VST + Around The Head panning
D2: Nocturne Le Pris VST, panned left
D1: Stutter Pad VST+ Around The Head panning

4 Likes

Largo conducting parts all’ottava.

Made with NI Maschine +

4 Likes

Ok, made two simple themes, and then ran one through Pitchproof in Fl Studio, which made it sound all weird and glitchy, which I like. The second theme is run through a shimmer reverb towards the end.

3 Likes

Didn’t get too deep into this one, just wrote a quick motif and used VCV rack to transpose at random across a 5 octave range, then in Bitwig distributed between 3 voices using a random LFO - a stock FM synth, Roland Juno 60 plugin and UAD Ravel. From round robin through the new Moogerfooger plugins and again through various eventide octave delays. To carry it forward there’s a 4 octave pattern on the trusty DX7 marimba. Everything gets modulated in and out, little bit of seasoning via reversed octaves delays on Chase Bliss Habit, space echo and various reverbs.

>here<

2 Likes

Duploctave (disquiet0564)

I took a few seconds from something I was listening to and stretched it out to this length. Then it was duplicated. Using Sliding Stretch, one track was made to drop an octave over its length; the other to rise an octave. So, by the end they are 2 octaves apart. End of experiment (with an enhanced mix of both tracks added and down-pitched an octave, of course).

3 Likes

Hey all,
Being a bass player octaves are like the first good trick you learneven playing in a punk band.
I had this brilliant idea this morning that I was going to design some sort of generative octave making glitch thing in Pure Data. I found the moses command and I thought I was made but the result was very underwhelming so I scraped it and went for an octave jam on G on a Minilogue XD. I hooked up the Grandmother too.
I took the result into Logic and cut it up, blurred and treated it.
I added a couple of variations. Added octaves to all the drums. Fx from Fresh Air and Kilohearts and time was up.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I started this piece with a rhythmic synth loop (the one you hear from the opening onwards) with a granular delay set to octaves (Output’s Portal). After listening to the loop for a while, I felt that samples of my friend screaming that I recorded a long time ago would fit the uplifting mood I was trying to achieve.

The lead synth line and bass are both coming from Surge. I composed each on the Linnstrument with octave leaps in mind throughout. I found returning to the prompt if I was stuck very helpful ! Had a lot of fun with this.

1 Like

Around a decade ago, I created an octave riff with a rhythm of “1+ 2e+ah e+ 4e+”. The guitarist of one of my former bands would integrate the riff in his solos regardless of the context.

Given the goofy nature of the song, I recorded “The King Tut Strut” under the Babbling Blubber moniker. One of my British friends recorded the electric guitar (they also collaborated with me on Interruptions (disquiet0532).

2 Likes

Thanks for that. You are correct in noticing the relationship to earlier music. I quite often use polyphonic or contrapuntal structures inspired by Renaissance & Baroque composers.

3 Likes

love the wash of synths sounds in this!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: My idea was to have three different kinds of reverb mixed in to contribute to the overall effect. Glad you like it.

2 Likes

I am nearly one week lead, but I just wanted to mention this track inspired by the prompt. I completely ran out of time last weekend and the following days, but now here is the finished track.
Mainly piano (at the moment I just love creating piano tracks despite my restricted abilities), with many (sometimes multiple) octave leaps up and down in the melody. Background noise by Samplebrain (Brain = choirs, Target = creek and birds), slowed down (to 25%) and pitched down (2 octaves). Additional instruments Hohner Organetta (from pianobook) and a synth.

1 Like