Disquiet Junto Project 0569: Think Thank

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto music community, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, November 28, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, November 24, 2022.

Tracks are added to the SoundCloud playlist for the duration of the project. Additional (non-SoundCloud) tracks appear in the llllllll.co discussion thread.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0569: Think Thank
The Assignment: Make music inspired by something or someone you’re thankful for

Step 1: Think of something or someone you’re thankful for.

Step 2: Make a piece of music inspired by what came to mind in Step 1.

Eight Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0569” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0569” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0569-think-thank/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #DisquietJunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Step 8: Also join in the discussion on the Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to marc@disquiet.com for Slack inclusion.

Note: Please post one track for this weekly Junto project. If you choose to post more than one, and do so on SoundCloud, please let me know which you’d like added to the playlist. Thanks.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, November 28, 2022, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, November 24, 2022.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0569” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 569th weekly Disquiet Junto project – Think Thank (The Assignment: Make music inspired by something or someone you’re thankful for) – at: https://disquiet.com/0569/

More on the Disquiet Junto at: https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here: https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co: https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0569-think-thank/

The cover image for this project is from DALL·E 2, where “open door, party inside, digital art” was the prompt.

2 Likes

The project is now live.

I am thankful to different people and circumstances that allowed me , over the years, to have the time and drive to create music that sometimes is pointless or completely personal research and has no further “purpose”.
Creating music is my normal job, and I’m grateful for that, but still being able to go full amateur and create stuff just for the sake of it? That’s something I do and appreciate. I know many colleges , professionals of my age, just don’t do that any-more (or never did).

Upright piano, synthesizers, upright bass, orchestral (strings) samples, acoustic drums
Photo by Karim MANJRA

This particular track is a pure experiment, I was recording my acoustic piano, using some mechanical rubber mutes for a different project, and did this take just for me as a test.
I didn’t know what to do with it, and abandoned.
Then, I overdubbed many different instruments over the past few months, an upright bass+acoustic drums rhythm section, an unexpected old-schools synth. Later I added an orchestral section.

There’s a lot of work on this track but still I don’t know where it’s going nor what was i attempting when I started it. An experiment, a true one.

It is a rare, rambling bird and I would have probably keep it like that, unreleased.

So finally I’m grateful for having this junto place where I can get the chance to share it and above all, the stimulus and encouragement to do share stuff like this.

10 Likes

Laurie Andersons “Big Science” was one of the first “avantgarde” LPs I owned in a time, when teens like me used to listen to Kim Wilde or so. I remember listening endlessly to especially “From The Air”, “O Superman” and “Example #22”.

Since then the beginning of the “voice sample” from “Example #22” is what I speak into microphones to test them. And as I had a podcast recording this week, I started the track with a sample from this recording.

I noodled it thru some granulators and added some other stuff. I absolutely wanted to add some “O superman”-vocoder-oh-ohs with a XILS V+ I bought last week (don’t miss the 75% sales on xils-lab.com, especially the XILS 4, and no, I’m not connected to Monsieur Oudin) and it nearly drove me insane to get Reaper and the V+ to run as a vocoder. But it worked.

The resulting track may be considered as what I have in mind when I think of these tracks from Laurie Anderson, which I am thankful for. Please notice that it is 40 years since “Big Science” – wtf am I old …

10 Likes

This week I’m using the Zoia Empress pedal, which has been getting a lot of use.

The other day I was jamming on this chord progression and my partner walked in to say she thought the pedal was one of my best purchases because she liked the sounds and that I was playing my guitar more often.

So I’m grateful for her support and encouragement.

P.S. I think I’m using this patch.

9 Likes

Thankful to return to the good ol’ fashioned rock ‘n’ roll I grew up with from time to time … Sometimes, although adding more can be fun, just leaving it be can be better :slight_smile:

5 Likes

5 Likes

I’m thankful for the lines community and the novel approaches to experimenting with sound. The number of music making tools I’ve heard of, learned about and used is mostly down to this wonderful website and the community here. I am very grateful for this. A creative practice of working with sound is not just something interesting to do but goes far beyond that. :slight_smile:
This piece was made with Norns running barcode and Make noise morphagene, Soma ROAT and others.

8 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

2 Likes

Not a day goes by that I don’t think about or express gratitude to John Cage.
This experimental track locks me into some of the “Cage” he said I should never fall into. Until now, I haven’t.

5 Likes

Thankful for my partner who trusts me and makes me laugh every day.

Generated a bunch of samples with a VCV patch. Edited in timeline. Mixed a little.

Edit: this song actually made my partner laugh. Achievement unlocked! :melting_face:

6 Likes

To express gratitude with serenity, like a gift, thankful to my family !
On Moog and Mutable modular system.

5 Likes

Hey All, I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving or Thursday. I thought of our house. I am thankful for that at the end of the day I can come home and chill and do stuff like this.
Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

5 Likes

I have been away from the Junto for many months, not having energy make music. we moved earlier this year, and things turned out to be more troublesome than we imagined, so this is what I’m grateful for now, in addition to being secure in difficult times: We bought a house a year ago, old & worn, there is a lot to do, and we are not nearly through. But still we are holding on, together. As Burt Bacharach said: A house is not a home until…

4 Likes

These last few years especially made me thankful of many things we often take for granted. One of tthese, for me, is friends. All of their different view points, together with our overlap in interests, keep everything interesting, fresh and relative. In the track I tried to capture that sense of a common drive, but with changing, alternating voices.

5 Likes

He let me know computers and love music.
He showed me you can be a good man and cool at the same time.
He’s dust now and I miss him.

Made with NI Maschine+.

5 Likes

Honorary Think Thank (not official submission).

Started this on the plane today, finished at the hotel. It’s almost the same VCV patch as my Think Thank track. But this time the main voice is plaits through @Allieway_Audio KOAN. I’m also experimenting with using Mindmeld Shapemaster to introduce more movement and gestures.

The thankfulness is gear centric this time. But somehow it doesn’t feel less genuine. I do love being able to create sound creatures with a mind of their own in the VCV ecosystem, no matter where I am in the world with just my laptop.

2 Likes

Thanks to the influences of the Disquiet Junto community and all the musicians and YouTubers whose content I’ve devoured over the years. This track is not my usual fare. I created a wavefolder in Max genexpr then sampled sine waves at various pitches, which I then used in combination to ping AudioThing’s Dials filter and Felt Instruments’ Smugi sequenced filter bank. I recorded the original stems to cassette and then added that track to the others as a background processed by Devious Machines’ Infiltrator. There’s an AudioThing Noises providing ambience, too.

Title image is a manipulation based on output from Stable Diffusion.

3 Likes

NonDisquiet For Peaches (disquiet0569)
Was reading a piece in a magazine at the end of a long trip up the Oregon River in 1997 about gratitude. The punchline was “the key to contentment is an attitude of gratitude”. Still working that 25 years later but grateful to have come across it, as it was needed and I have found it works. I continue to try to recognize and acknowledge as much as possible. This piece is dedicated to my wonderful wife Laurie who was delivered to my doorstep (literally) by some guardian angels (almost literally) just in the nick of time. Its a great story I won’t bore you with but suffice to say she is the best thing that has happened for me this lifetime and I express that as often as I can.
I started out thinking to make a piece as gentle and kind as she is, with a nod to the magical & beautiful music of the 1988 album Plux Quba by Nuno Canavarro, which we both love. Music that inspired Oval, Microstoria the rest of the A-Music crew in Germany.
nunocanavarro.bandcamp.com/album/plux-quba
The piece quickly moved towards the Eno/Budd/Frippery I am increasingly falling into… Started with the Roland Jupiter-6 lovely marimba like patch and developed a theme which was played around with and replicated/altered with another track of digital piano. Added in an Arturia Analog IV Synclavier patch for a few slight synth/stringish swells, finally added 2 guitar overdubs and a few very distant field recordings made in Mexico and Spain.

3 Likes

What a beautiful prompt. I spent these days remembering and reflecting on my own musical path and all the wonderful people I’ve met and was influenced by.

One of the main things I’m thankful for is my re-discovery of that child-like sense of joy, freedom and playfulness that I sometimes can achieve when playing music — doing, not thinking.
Let intuition step forward and let the analytical mind take a rest. Those are among the best moments in my life, and I’m thankful for other people who showed me the way.

After a few attempts on a modular system, I turned to the piano which at the time felt like a more intimate and direct medium and recorded this short improvised piece (one of the few I played that night).

3 Likes