DIY: norns shield

Bamboo case prototype for shield:

(natural vertical single ply bamboo - no MDF)

14 Likes

this is a lovely aesthetic.

Very nice @okyeron !

I ended up using this set of nylon spacers, which worked a charm (I had already slightly foolishly widened the holes on the PCB for the screen, but it’s all working now!). The nice thing about these is that the nylon screws are small enough to fit beside the screen on the PCB, which for other screws seems like too tight a fit.

One other thing… I recommend using an official Raspberry Pi power supply. I had some that I really thought were good enough, but was getting dropouts when using more complex scripts. Using the official supply seems to have fixed that.

5 Likes

My PCB arrived this week, although the screen shortages have slowed down the project somewhat.

It’s really inspirational seeing all the new builds coming in most days. I can’t wait to join the party!

Next dumb question
If anybody can help
Do I just copy the disk imagine to a sd card and insert into the shield
I have tried this with no success

you need to flash the sd card first. download this and insert your sd card into your computer, follow the directions. this where you use the image.

1 Like

Thanks I have sound now
but no image on my screen
Wonder if I messed up the screen somehow
Uggh

try reheating the header pins.

I still messed it up even after I asked what to look out for
O well live and learn I guess
I’m wondering if the screen will be salvageable?

Also don’t forget about https://patchstorage.com/

not sure what patch storage has to do with norns?

Definitely salvageable. You are likely looking for a short on the data lines for the screen.

I would also suggest reflashing your sdcard

Ok that’s good news
I’m going to have to order a new 20 pin connector
I completely butchered it trying to re-orientate the pins

Ok I will try that as well
Thank you
I’m having a hard time accessing maiden right now is anyone else ?

How are you trying to access maiden? You’ll need to get your norns connected to your own network in order to do so. If you’ve not got a screen, you’ll need to use ethernet, because otherwise you’d have to configure the wifi first.

Secondly, you aren’t having joy connecting to norns.local, connecting directly to the norns’ IP address is worth trying - sometimes zeroconf DNS does not propagate properly. Again, finding out the IP without a screen may be challenging, but you should be able to find the list of devices connected to your router and go from there.

1 Like

Has anyone here tried adding a battery hat to the norns shield? Would it even work? For example, something like this:

What I don’t know is whether there would be a problem with the battery module using some of the pins that the norns shield also uses? (But this raspberry pi stuff is all new to me!)

2 Likes

Ok thank you !!!

Yeah this probably won’t work due to duplicated/overlapping pin assignments.

> See here for a diy battery approach