DIY: norns shield

yes/sortof— the part won’t fit if rotated 90 degrees, so whatever way it fits is right. (it’s ok for it to be flipped 180 since it’s symmetrical)

2 Likes

Seems like a silly question but where are people getting their raspi 3b+ from in UK/Europe? I’m struggling to find any in stock, thanks

@dwb
It looks like Pimoroni doesn’t list them anymore? Odd, i usually go with them.
i already ordered once (or twice?) from this (french) shop without troubles and they seem to have the 3B+ in stock:

https://www.kubii.fr/les-cartes-raspberry-pi/2119-raspberry-pi-3-modele-b-1-gb-kubii-713179640259.html

edit: only french, spanish and italian languages on their website apparently… No idea if they usually ship to UK (i don’t see why they wouldn’t but…)

1 Like

I got mine from Berrybase in Berlin - they have 2400 of them…

2 Likes

Wow that’s where they all are! Thanks folks, ordered.

1 Like

Oh wow! It took 15 minutes and it worked first time! :heart:

30 Likes

Does the shield use the same norns-buttons-encoders overlay as hardware norns?

(i.e. are the GPIO assignments the same?)

argh. i’m close, i’ve at least identified something odd with my board. pins 4,5,6 (sclk, vd, dgnd) appear to be shorted, but i cannot see how. Should these be electrically connected when power is applied? everything else appears to be working correctly - switches, screen, pots…

Does not look like those pins should be joined anywhere.

This GND via under the chip might be a possible spot for a hidden bridge?

EDIT - Or under the crystal?

1 Like

thanks @okyeron ! yeah i was puzzling over the crystal too, and otherwise, 3v3 and gnd are not connected on the board, only at pins 4,5,6 of the cirrus. i know that doesn’t make sense but…

Check all your raspi header pins just in case?

1 Like

Yeah, we use the same overlay for both norns and the norns shield, the pins everything is connected to are different though so the overlay was updated to make the pins configurable.
See https://github.com/monome/linux/pull/40 for details.

1 Like

when in doubt: remove the chip, clean everything, and put it back on. (or perhaps you already did this?)

2 Likes

just about to do this… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sounding great! Thank you for making this fantastic device.
DSC_1052

12 Likes

It does work perfectly with a raspberry-pi compatible wi-fi nub though (I’m using the one from my original norns).

@AlessandroBonino Same! Very quick build, and that amazing feeling when I plugged it in and saw the fireworks. :grinning:

Thanks for your work @tehn !

@corpusjonsey What are those knobs? I put chroma caps on mine, but they’re a bit taller than I like.

9 Likes

I swapped out the knobs on a Machinedrum a while back with the rubbery ones from Elektron. These are the original ones off the MD.

1 Like

Well I slept on ordering stuff, and it seems the encoders are sold out of Mouser and Digikey. Anybody have opinions on other options? Digikey is set to ship Jan 20 and Mouser says they won’t have any until March…
EDIT: Going to order the knurled shaft version of the same thing, should be fine no?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC11R-4015K-N0024?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsWp46O%2Bq11WUFm4YUtE9euaXubLa0LPIg%3D

indeed, knurled are ok!

2 Likes