DIY Project Recommendations

So much helpful info! Thanks everyone. I guess I’ve been a bit too conservative with solder - and worried about frying things.

I’ll try and improve my soldering later and report back.

If you’re still in London there’s the befaco diy workshop at music hackspace.

Can be a good occasion to build something, and I’m sure they’d be happy to give feedback on the circuit you’re building if you still struggle by then.

These ICs are not socketed though, so caution is good. Diodes also shouldn’t be sat on for too long (which I’m sure you know well).

@jwhiles what iron are you using? @jwhiles also would recommend scrubbing the board after you’re done soldering. Rubbing alcohol (97% or better if you can find it) and a tooth brush are plenty. It looks nicer, the rosin can occasionally be problematic, but most important you can see your joins more clearly to diagnose problems.

I took part in a Befaco workshop in Tampere, Finland. I really recommend attending one if they happen to come within travelling distance. It was a great way to build a module (and get it calibrated) and meet new people.

I attended a Befaco Workshop in Madrid last december, never ever touched soldering iron or components before that, i completed a Rampage in a day, it was a pleasure meet so many people with the same hobby (later i completed a Hex mix VCA.

So Ijust reworked some of my foldering, following the advice that’s been shared here - and I’m happy to report that the module now seems to be working perfectly!

Thanks everyone! You’re all amazing.

Also, I’d recommend worngs lrms as a diy project :slight_smile:

The befaco workshop looks great, how does the format work though? I can’t imagine that building a single module would take the best part of two days?

It’s like that to make sure there’s enough time to help everyone finish their module. Some kits are longer to build than other, and some people like to make 2 kits during a workshop. For me the best part is that you get to meet and talk to other people :blush:

Congrats on getting it fixed!! That’s always very satisfying. I’ve a LRMSMSLR and it’s a really useful and interesting module.
For the workshop:
Some modules can be done in a day, others might take 2 days (eg a rampage).

I’ve been to two. They’re really useful for learning how to debug stuff (you can even bring in diy modules that aren’t working) — they won’t fix it for you but will show you how to fix it, walking you through the schematic, etc. It’s a really good learning experience. And they help with calibration which is great as well.

They’re fun too (as @electret mentioned)!

Does all sound very fun and tempting! If I’m free I might try and go along, it would be fun to build the crush delay!

In other DIY questions - I’m interested in learning how to source parts, and build panel/pcb kits. For those who work in that way - do you tend to just buy the components you need? Or do you bulk buy common components - and Does anyone have a good recommendation of a kit which would be a good starting place?

In building tube amp circuits, I found it useful to purchase an array of resistors. These, however, are half watt carbon film and are larger than what’s used in a typical Eurorack module. I think I would start by purchasing extras of each passive component and maybe some extras of common ICs and transistors (I.e., buy 5 resistors if your plans call for 2, get an extra IC or 2 of the same model in case you damage one). But really, I’ve not had much of a need for these extras u less you plan to breadboard your own design. Tube amps are different: if it’s not behaving properly you can swap resistors. There are fairly high parts tolerances in those designs. Buying Eurorack components in bulk might save you a little but most of the cost will be in pcb, panels, jacks, and pots. Maybe buy a bunch of thonkiconn jacks - that might save you some.

This is the DIYers quandry! If you’re ordering from mouser, some things like resistors and some caps, you get a steep price break at 10 or more, in which case I will usually grab 10 even if I only need 2 and maybe you’ll need them for a project down the road (going through your “stock” in this way is very time consuming, though, especially if you’re completely unorganized like I am :slight_smile:)

If you’re planning on diving in then some things are worth stocking up on - definitely thonkiconns as @bradfromraleigh suggests. TL072 and TL074 op amps you find in almost everything. Tayda has a mixed reputation for quality of components but is by far the easiest (and often cheapest) source for parts. It’s a good place to stock up on things like headers, sockets, etc.

To get your feet wet the easiest place to start is to find a project where the mouser cart is posted (MW is often a good place for this, too) and eventually you’ll start to familiarize yourself with what specs are critical or not when shopping for parts. Don’t get too frustrated when you accidentally order an electrolytic capacitor that’s the size of a can of soda. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

yes! :joy:

Or, you might make an order from parts via Mouser, Tayda, etc and discover (usually after you’ve started building) that you forgot to order one thing. Frustrating!

I started off buying pcb+panels and buying my own parts. Then life happened, I have no time for DIY, and a gigantic box of bits and bobs

It is “cheaper” than buying a full kit in a pure accounting sense. But, personally, I found (in hindsight) that buying parts required more time and mental energy (for ordering parts and staying organized), notwithstanding the risk of purchasing the wrong thing or too little of something.

Nowadays if I do DIY it’s with a full kit. For me, it saves time and frustration! That’s just me, other people do enjoy it (and I enjoyed it until I lacked time etc to deal with it).

Yes - I have several self-sourced DIY projects in Mouser boxes on my bench. Problem is I can no longer remember which box goes to what :confused:

First off, glad to read you got your module working!

I’m currently building a Serge 73-75 homebuilt synthesizer (as seen on 73-75.com). It’s a pretty large/intense project, at least for me. The biggest issue I’ve run into is missing parts on the Bill of Materials (BOM). It’s a PCB + Panel combo and you source everything else. They also left out recommendations for a power supply and case. Even after I found a suitable Meanwell supply on Mouser, the cord to plug it in was not included as I expected it would be. So overall, the project is okay given the scale, but you have to read some long threads on it to fully understand the pitfalls.

With sourcing parts, I’ve primarily been using Mouser and Tayda. Octopart can help you find parts across several sites. Check the lead spacing and tolerance (for resistors) when finding a replacement if something is out of stock. Tolerance can be lower (better), but lead spacing is important to match.

Full kit projects with detailed, accurate instructions (and the right parts, ha) are a much easier experience. The best kits I’ve assembled have been the Music Thing Modular kits. (hats off to @TomWhitwell and Thonk)

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php?display_tax_prices=1

if your into DIY this guy must be on your radar- hes a national treasure :slight_smile:

Does anyone know the mod for making eurorack Benjolin start up more dependably? I recall reading somewhere that it involves soldering two diodes somehow in relation to the regulators but I am unable to find anything at the moment.

EDIT: Maybe a bit more context. I have a diy Kweiwen eurorack benjolin. Most times when I power it up, it doesn’t make any sound. Apparently this is a known issue.

Should be somewhere in this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165775&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=475&sid=1d12707029262c18309c397b4d95ff84

Edit:
There‘s a picture (green pcb) with a diode drawn into

Here is the whole thread. Just scroll down until u see the green pcb with the red diode

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165775&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Thanks! I’ll check that out.

If you want to do SMD, Orgone Accumulator is a super fun oscillator!

Second that. Actually I’ll bump it up a notch ad say it’s an amazing oscillator!

For instance in this track, the glitchy bellish thing layered with the melody (easiest to hear from 2:22 and 5:29) is orgone accumulator being modulated with stepped random + worked by hand: