• Same size and shape as Teensy 3.2
  • $20!

interesting audio related stuff:

• 1 S/PDIF Digital Audio
  • 2 I2S Digital Audio (same as 3.2/3.6)

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html

20 Likes

Crazy! @bpcmusic, imagine one of these in a TXo :open_mouth:

15 cents more than the 3.2 for approximately 10x the speed… Since the pins look similar to the 3.2 I wonder if this could be dropped into existing 3.2 projects like Ornament and Crime? Though perhaps there isn’t a benefit there with the exception of increased storage.

I already have some on the way. :wink: I’ll post a report once I’ve flashed and installed them.

8 Likes

Current consumption at 600MHz is 100mA(!), which is about double the 3.2 and ~25% more than a 3.6 at 180Mhz …

Yeah - the 3.2 is totally overpowered for basic Teletype commands on the TXo.

The T3.4 might get interesting if you use the TXo as a four-voice digital oscillator. I’m planning to see how high I can drive the sampling rate. The TXo+ does a really good job with the primitives (saw/square/sine/triangle), but the extended waveforms still alias. More processing power would allow oversampling which could clean up the output for these waveforms. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I believe that pin arrangement is different. Paul mentioned that the existing Audio Adapter wouldn’t work directly without soldering some wires.

1 Like

I’m finally going to build myself a polyphonic desktop synth with one of these bad boys. Paul does some amazing work and has a great twitter account at @PaulStoffregen

1 Like

SPI pins are rearranged/changed (so that’s the SD card and Memory chip on the audio adapter). Bottom pads are a completely different arrangement.

A four-voice digital oscillator with filtering and a wide bandwidth noise source would soak up some of those cycles … :thinking:

1 Like

This looks very impressive.

I remember hearing some misgivings about the licensing of the Teensy software stack - is it true it’s not fully open source?

On the hardware side, I don’t think the source of the bootloader has ever been available, to discourage Teensy clones.

1 Like

Godammit! I ordered a 3.6 on Monday. Same thing happened to me when they bought out the new Raspberry pi.

3 Likes

This looks sooooo good. Trying to work through the ramifications of the speed increases.

To me, the 3.6 is still a different beast. Has plenty of features that the 4.0 doesn’t have, use those and get a 4.0 also :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a plan! (20 characters)

If you want to use over 100mA for your DIY module, it better be incredible. I just want a Teensy that uses LESS power so the 8 modules I have that uses them can use even less power.

1 Like

Regulating 12v down to 5v on every digital module seems a bit silly to me. I’m running a seperate 5v 5amp supply.

2 Likes

I’m thinking we might be able to underclock these and get more performance for less power …

1 Like

So you could even change clock rates on the fly for, like, using higher sample rates/more DSP widgets at the cost of more power or whatever. I’m not finding a lot of data sheet details on if there’s a minimum clock frequency for this part, or any, like, power vs. frequency curves for Cortex M7 voltage/frequency scaling. Cursory googling brought me to somewhere in this JavaServer Pages site at which point I decided to give up for the night.

1 Like