Donny Mahlmeister | Night Shells (New release featuring Serge and Cocoquantus)

Hey there!
Happy to announce a new release on Bandcamp, called Night Shells.
Like many of our releases have probably been, its a respite from and reaction to the trauma and stress we’ve all been through for the last year and a half. All of the tunes are really on the mellow end and are pretty meditative for myself at least. Also, this record feels like a turning point in that I’m finally comfortable with and have honed in the gear I’m using for my solo endeavors. This record is pretty much all Serge modular and Ciat-Londbarde Cocoquantus, with a little sprinkling of Samplr from iOS. After countless setup changes and rearrangements in the past 4 or 5 years I’m really feeling most at home and inspired by these two instruments. I also have realized that less is more… In general I’m focusing on only a couple voices at once, that are looped, instead of having handfuls to mix in between like a dj. This allows me to ‘play’ more, if that makes sense.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

12 Likes

Mate, this is excellent.

I feel like Serge and a looper is where I am headed. Just got my first Serge panel… Out of interest, what kind of panel have you used and how did you sequence it?

Cheers!

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.
So, I have an assortment of Random Source 4x4 panels. All of the common stuff: DUSG, Wave Mult, Filters, SSG. I also adapted the Buchla 4U TSNM panel to 12v Serge power. For sequencing, I used the TSNM, a Keystep, an SQ-1, and I may have still had some euro left when making these tracks… so it could have been a 0-Ctrl and Marbles too. I’ve since gone mostly banana at this point.

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice one, thanks for that. All the best!

1 Like