drawing

i looked and didn’t see any threads yet, but feel free to merge this into the proper place if i missed it ^^^

drawings! I love drawing flat/abstract pieces with alcohol markers on paper, and i’ve also been drawing in procreate recently. post your drawings, thoughts on process, how it relates to music…

here’s something i made yesterday on my tablet.

27 Likes

I just doodle

15 Likes

pretty sure the dam fish is my spirit animal

2 Likes

these speak to me. this is like what the inside of my head has felt like lately.

2 Likes

+1 for sharing your drawings. love seeing other’s artwork as much as I love hearing other’s music.

my drawings don’t really relate at all to music - except insomuch as it is a outlet towards expressing creativity. for several years I’ve been working on my own New Yorker cartoons. so far all of them have been rejected. they aren’t really drawn as well as i’d like but I think they are funny (at least New Yorker funny). my process is to come up with little jokes and then combine stock photos in a drawing program and crudely trace over them. the process itself is quite fun which is key for me for creative expression :slight_smile: eventually I’ll have enough to make a book of “rejected New Yorker cartoons”. here’s a sample:

28 Likes

Ohh, I love to draw! I like to not pick up my hand and just kind of “free associate”.

I really want to start learning some canonical techniques though, as I am starting to feel limited by my lack of ability to gauge perspective, do shading and the like.

Does anyone like to do any close-your-eyes-listen-to-music-and-draw exercises?

16 Likes

thanks! I suppose it makes sense, because I doodle like that to let out my distracting thoughts, both ones that are just like “I’m sitting in rehearsal and I have adhd” and ones that are more violent as a coping mechanism for intrusive thoughts

1 Like

Nice thread. Drawing has been a refuge for me over the past few years. I don’t have much space at the moment so drawing keeps me feeling creative. Is it ok to post links like this here?
https://russelljohn.xyz/paper

6 Likes

Oh hey I was actually wondering if lines had a place I could share some drawings recently as well! I don’t draw nearly as much as I want to but I’ve picked it up more this summer. A lot of the art I’ve been doing has been related to music releases - making promotional art, album covers, etc.
Here’s some of my most recent stuff!

9 Likes

It is an outrage they rejected your neti pot drawing!

2 Likes

Pen and ink. Mostly rendered during business meetings.

https://www.instagram.com/photooptom/?hl=en

9 Likes

B pencil x100

16 Likes

Are you posting these somewhere regularly? I would totally subscribe to an RSS feed.

1 Like

yeah on my site (rss subscription at bottom)! I only post when they are rejected though, so they will only appear in batches, quite slowly. I submit ~6 cartoons and it takes many months to get a response that they’ve been rejected…

^ one of drawing’s most productive times. love that design @Obolus

yeah this is fun! I did it as a kid a lot. love how intricate and abstract your work is.

4 Likes

I really enjoy making ink drawings / collages on found book pages.
Here’s a diptych from last year.

36 Likes

I love doing drawings on book pages also, but I leave them in the book.

Then I turn them back in to the library.

3 Likes

5 Likes

don’t they fine you for that lol

Theoretically, yeah. But nothing yet.

1 Like

I got an iPad Pro a few years back mostly for AUM and music apps, but procreate is really fun and I use it occasionally to doodle. Here are two comics via those procreate stints I really liked

12 Likes