📡 dronecaster v1.0.0

I just tried to see NEOWISE but there was too much light pollution. Got some more Dronecaster animation inspiration instead…

6 Likes

I just realized I had pushed some WIP code when I posted this and the app wouldn’t even launch. Sorry about that if anyone spent time trying to install and run it. It works now! I’m going to try to get another SynthDef done today…

2 Likes

We’ve got an v0.0.1-ALPHA ready!

7 Likes

v0.0.2-ALPHA - Four drones. Supersaw from @cfd90 and Mt. Lion from @license. Bug fixes.

6 Likes

The mad scientist @license has made a breakthrough. Our SynthDef are now decoupled from Engine_Dronecaster.sc. This is a massive QOL improvement to developers. There are no functional changes.

So now to contribute a SynthDef you simply drop a similarly formatted function in the /engine/drones directory. Then, Engine_Dronecaster.sc dynamically scans the directory via OSC (!) and loads the “DroneDefs”. And if that wasn’t enough, the drone names are then handed off to dronecaster.lua (via the filename) - so there is no configuration/hardcoding/coupling of new drones.

Just drop & drone. Amazing amazing work @license.

v0.0.3-alpha

mrw seeing the PR

6 Likes

Oh boy :slight_smile: thank you for the kind words.

One very minor correction - I avoided the use of SynthDef but it is the same format of the function that you pass into it as the 2nd arg. So the syntax is almost the same, just slightly less typing. Just want to throw that out there in case anyone gets frustrated trying to get their drone to play. If you follow the format of the existing ones, you should be fine.

1 Like

this description of Dreamcrusher is so on point, lol

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for that correction. I updated my comment and I’ll update the AC.

1 Like

Bring out your drones! We’re now available in maiden.

:eyes: Demo video is up, too.

5 Likes

That video is awesome.

3 Likes

dug into the noiz of dronecaster for tonight’s session…
(additional noiz support from @Justmat BOUNDS, @LFSaw HAVEN and a Shnth)

5 Likes

Ahhh, that was marvelous. Thank you for sharing. Brings me much joy to see a (battle damaged?) Tachikoma manning the norns.

And dronecaster was completely unrecognizable which is a :100: in my production book! I thought I heard it about 2/3rds through for a second?

2 Likes

I tried installing from Maiden. Running 8d1e0161. This is the error it’s giving me:

# script run
loading engine: Dronecaster
### SCRIPT ERROR: missing Dronecaster
>> reading PMAP /home/we/dust/data/dronecaster/dronecaster.pmap
m.read: /home/we/dust/data/dronecaster/dronecaster.pmap not read.

Looks like it’s trying to pull up a data file that doesn’t exist. Putting norns to sleep and then restarting fixed the problem.

1 Like

Yep, all new SC engines require a little nap before norns sees it. I’ll add a note to the README. Thank you.

3 Likes

:new: Twin Peaks Retro stylings, timeless horror. by @21echoes

9 Likes

Thanks so much!!!
yeah…i am not one to avoid warping the noiz through hordes of effects!
:stuck_out_tongue:
i look forward to weaving Dronecaster into so much more noiz as it keeps evolving!

1 Like

Check out Twin Peaks. It is choiceee :ok_hand:

2 Likes

downloading it right now!
:space_invader:

1 Like

ran into a thing or two and was wondering if a feature could be added.

the script crashed on me when i tried using MIDI to control it.

would it be possible to add an ALT feature using a Key so you can increment the Amp and Hz by larger values quickly?

i know i’m flooding the feed…but after loading Twin Peaks on three norns this happened:

5 Likes

Yeah we have no MIDI support yet. What did you want to do? What controller were you using?

We actually used to have an ALT feature that did just that. I took it it out when we added in recording. Maybe kong press K1 would be OK? I want to keep the controls simple… another options would be to set sensitivity in the parameters?

This is video awesome. Perfect music to code to. (My wife’s folk-y classical/music is playing somewhere far in the background which only adds to the outré.

1 Like