cast drones & record whatever returns
The birds are named Joe, Beth, and Alex:
Help us write
SynthDefs that take two parameters -
amp and makes a drone! Well, technically they aren’t
SynthDefs, but they look and act just like them. To contribute, simply drop a similarly formatted function in the
/engine/drones directory. Then,
Engine_Dronecaster.sc dynamically scans the directory via OSC (!) and loads our “
DroneDefs”. Here’s the acceptance criteria. We want to keep it simple:
- I expect the drones to be synthesized with Supercollider.
- I expect no audio (
.wav, etc.) samples to be used.
- I expect the
DroneDefto follow the formatting pattern established with other files in
- I expect the
DroneDefto accept an
- I expect the
hzparameter to inform the note the drone plays, but chordal smears, subtle (and not-so-subtle) detune-ages, deep LFOs, and other sonic mutilations are very welcome.
- A drone may be of original inspiration or picked from the artisanal drone menu below.
Artisanal Drone Menu
|Dreamcrusher||Chaotic, strobey, actually really nice IRL.||@infinitedigits|
|Mt. Lion||Roars through a twisting canyon.||@license|
|Mt. Zion||Thee rusted satellites gather + sing.||@license|
|Nautilus||Dusty waves, chaotic undercurrent.||@Taubaland|
|Sine||The TestSine. Old faithful.||@tyleretters|
|Square||Big sister, opinionated on her pulsewidth, but reasonable.||@Taubaland|
|Supersaw||It slices, it dices.||@cfd90|
|Thx||Recreating the THX deep note.||@infinitedigits|
|Triangle||Little brother to Sine.||@Taubaland|
|Twin Peaks||Retro stylings, timeless horror.||@21echoes|
|UNEABLIN||Uneasy ablative inspection.||@zebra|
|UNWEALNE||Un-battered in mind?||@zebra|
|Belong||Thick, enveloping, shimmering.|
|Canada||Scientific, detuned, dignified.|
|Coil||Traversing the tunnels of goats.|
|Eno||Bandpassed, understated, airporty.|
|GY!BE||The car is on fire.|
|Hecker||Noisey, imaginary country, suspended animation.|
|LaMonte||Inharmonic static-tone combination.|
|Shields||Bendy, Bloody, Loud|
|Starlids||Symphonic, meek, radiant.|
|SUNN O)))||£XX,XXX worth of structural damage to the venue.|
|Toshiya||Object-bound resonate space.|
|V/Vm||Compressed sausages of embalmed rave.|
- v1.0.2 - Add Gristle & Dreamcrusher. Drones are easier to make now. Thanks to @infinitedigits.
- v1.0.1 - Crow support thanks to @zzsnzmn.
- v1.0.0 - Migrate to Northern Information GitHub organization. Future updates require deleting and re-installing via maiden.
- v0.0.10 - Add UNWEALNE, UNEABLIN, UNMEMQUA, UNREANTH, & UNRELACC. Big refactor thanks to zebra. Out of beta.
- v0.0.8-beta - Add Thx.
- v0.0.7-beta - Add Nautilus, Square, and Triangle.
v0.0.6-beta - Long press
k1to move through
- v0.0.5-beta - Add Twin Peaks.
v0.0.4-beta - Recording - but not now you probably/maybe/might think: drones go OUT to your pedal board which then returns IN to norns to be recorded in
/data/audio/dronecaster/. Headphones will give you the dry so if you want wet (like me) use some type of Y adaptor at the end of your pedals/fx chain. Still very much a beta but we’re now available via maiden.
SynthDefare now decoupled from
Engine_Dronecaster.sc. This is a massive QOL improvement to developers. No functional changes.
- v0.0.2-alpha - Four drones. Supersaw from cfdrake and Mt. Lion. Bug fixes.
- v0.0.1-alpha - Two drones. No recording yet. Rough around the edges but serviceable.