Dronecaster

loved the visuals on this session, not to derail the thread, maybe message me if you wouldnt mind, but would love t hear about how you made the visuals. been getting into video synthesis of late. cheers.

2 Likes

i attempted to send it random steps across all three variables.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

THANK YOU for the added feature and mega quick update!

loaded up!
i really like the highlighted variables when using the ALT!

again…THANKS!

1 Like

this is really cool! I’ve been looking for scripts to have my norns on that are sort of like “wallpaper” apps…where I could leave them on and then mute unmute where norns is going into my interface and see what’s going on. this seems like it could be pretty great at that!

the only bug I’ve seen is that it seems like Mt. Lion/Zion don’t respond to the amp. parameter, not sure if that is a bug or not though.

2 Likes

There might indeed be a bug in there, but I stuffed a bunch of sample & holds and lags in it, so it does respond slower to those parameters than the other drones.

3 Likes

Three new drones from @Taubaland!! Special shout out for knocking out the basic Triangle and Square drones.

As a lo-fi enthusiast myself, Nautilus makes me especially happy.

6 Likes

@tyleretters
i think i found another bug…:slight_smile:
if you clear the script it will not stop droning until you load another script.

1 Like

Can you share steps to reproduce? I assume you’re on the latest version, too?

1 Like

when on the main OS page for norns…

hold K1 until the screen displays CLEAR…then push K3.

this will clear the script and display NONE on the main OS page.

i always do this before norns SLEEP so when i start them back up i have a clean slate to begin noiz progress from.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yep, I’m able to reproduce. Looking into it now. Thank you for the bug reports. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i need some help.

i’m interested in making a “thx” style drone. basically i created a bunch of detunned sawtooth oscillators that can be tuned to octaves around the given hz by turning up the amp. i’m very new to supercollider so i followed this brilliant demo of thx sound and also followed @license’s Mt Zion script and ended up with the following norns drone engine script:

// @infinitedigits
// THX
{
    arg out, hz=55.1, amp=0.02, amplag=0.02, hzlag=0.01;
    var amp_, hz_;
    amp_ = Lag.ar(K2A.ar(amp), amplag);
    hz_ = Lag.ar(K2A.ar(hz), hzlag);

var numVoices = 9;
    var fundamentals = ({rrand(200.0, 400.0)}!numVoices).sort.reverse;
    var finalPitches =  (numVoices.collect({|nv| hz_*(2**((nv/2).round-3)); }));
    var sweepFactors = ({rrand(0.2,2)}!numVoices);
    var voices=(1..numVoices-1).collect({|numTone|
        var initRandomFreq = fundamentals[numTone] + LFNoise2.kr(0.5, 6 * (numVoices - (numTone + 1)));
        var destinationFreq = finalPitches[numTone] + LFNoise2.kr(0.1, (numTone / 3));
        var sweepFactor = sweepFactors[numTone];
        var sweepEnv = amp_;
        var freq = ((1 - (sweepEnv**sweepFactor)) * initRandomFreq) + ((sweepEnv**sweepFactor) * destinationFreq);
        Pan2.ar(
            BLowPass.ar(Saw.ar(freq), freq * 6, 0.6),
            rrand(-0.5, 0.5),
            (1 - (1/(numTone + 1))) * 1.5
        ) / numVoices
    });
    Out.ar(out,Mix.ar(voices));
}

but, no sound (nor errors) comes out of the norns :frowning:

however, it does make sound in supercollider on my computer (hardcoded the hz_ and amp_ and changed the Out.ar line):

(
{
    var hz_ = 440;
    var amp_ =1;

var numVoices = 9;
    var fundamentals = ({rrand(200.0, 400.0)}!numVoices).sort.reverse;
    var finalPitches =  (numVoices.collect({|nv| hz_*(2**((nv/2).round-3)); }));
    var sweepFactors = ({rrand(0.2,2)}!numVoices);
    var voices=(1..numVoices-1).collect({|numTone|
        var initRandomFreq = fundamentals[numTone] + LFNoise2.kr(0.5, 6 * (numVoices - (numTone + 1)));
        var destinationFreq = finalPitches[numTone] + LFNoise2.kr(0.1, (numTone / 3));
        var sweepFactor = sweepFactors[numTone];
        var sweepEnv = amp_;
        var freq = ((1 - (sweepEnv**sweepFactor)) * initRandomFreq) + ((sweepEnv**sweepFactor) * destinationFreq);
        Pan2.ar(
            BLowPass.ar(Saw.ar(freq), freq * 6, 0.6),
            rrand(-0.5, 0.5),
            (1 - (1/(numTone + 1))) * 1.5
        ) / numVoices
    });
    Mix.ar(voices);
}.play;
)

any idea on why the norns version of the script (the former) doesn’t work with norns+dronecaster?

thank you so much for reading and also thank you so much for this script, its really inspired me to learn supercollider.

1 Like

I don’t know why, but if you change the amp_ and hz_ declarations to where they get set, it works.

//var amp_, hz_;
var amp_ = Lag.ar(K2A.ar(amp), amplag);
var hz_ = Lag.ar(K2A.ar(hz), hzlag);

a good place to check any areas that supercollider is failing, is by connecting to norns.local in your browser and checking the sc output!

Nice work, the drone sounds great!

3 Likes

thanks so much! i never would’ve caught that :smile: its working great now! will make a pr

1 Like

pr made!

an example of “thx”:

10 Likes

Amazing work on this!!! Really incredible script you created here.

Also awesome bending the rules with the parameters. I love it.

3 Likes

Oooh I love this one!

1 Like

Here’s the Mt Lion - love it.
I was heavily into those bands when at Uni - this script nails those tones. Incredible script, especially like Thx and Mt Zion also.

6 Likes

@license is a genius. I love your norns enclosure

3 Likes

This is fantastic. @tyleretters is the real genius for starting this project.

4 Likes

Thanks for this brilliant script. Thinking about contributing a drone or two. :blush:

I’m thinking that a nice addition would be an LFO or two that could be slowed down to glacial speeds. (Thinking about a logarithmic speed setting between milliseconds and days.) Thoughts?

1 Like