Ear protection - recommendations?

Anyone have any recommendation on ear protection?

I have a pair of Etymtic ER•20 and I’ve struggled to fit them in my ear such that I can achieve a solid dB reduction while still hearing myself play. It could well be they just aren’t a good fit for my ears…

What have you tried which worked well?

My primary use case is playing djembe (with a fairly distinct tone) among a dozen or so other djembe players… along with some doundoun.

Visit an audiologist and get fitted for musicians earplugs. They do a custom mould and then you can get different filters - I think 15 or 20db is standard(?)

7 Likes

I think probably going to an audiologist and getting fitted for a pair is your best bet.

(edit: ha @okyeron just beat me to it :yum:)

3 Likes

Yep, a trip to the audiologist for a fitting. You can also getting a hear test at the same time :slightly_smiling_face:. 15dB filters are designed for musicians who want to hear themselves. I got them for DJing and when at concerts and clubs, depending on how loud you play you might need 20’s. Years ago I started off with 15’s, after that I always use 20’s, I could even go higher. At a loud concert or club I can still hear the music well, but my ears often still ring afterwards. Prolonged exposure at anything above 85 dBSPL can potentially cause damage, which is a lot of situations, not just music related events. When in cities I sometimes wear them in the street.

1 Like

I’m using 15db which suits me fine, both when DJing and when out at concerts and nights. For those in the UK, do check out the Musicians Hearing Health Scheme - it may apply to you if you have music-based business. I couldn’t be more pleased with their service.

1 Like