Earthsea n00b users' group!

I love using all three cv outs to drive the different axes of the Piston Honda mk2 wavetable. Works like preset storage, whilst allowing for slow/controlled morphing.

3 Likes

Oh My God. I have a Cursus Iteritas arriving Friday and I think I just figured out what my Saturday will consist of! :grin:

1 Like

Let me know how you go. I’ve been debating the Cursus, but was originally eyeing off a Loquellic.

0 Likes

I’ve been using the cv channels to tweak FM and different waveshaping / folding parameters on a DPO, but I like what you described more. I’ve used mixers and effects channels that way, but pulling it into the actual note gestures feels like next level Earthsea’ng. Very cool.

I’m new to the module, so maybe it’s still honeymoon feelings, but Earthsea feels like a really significant step forward in modular sequencers. Getting off grid timing, including CV gestures. It’s a shame its not in production anymore, would love to see the concepts be included in future monome stuff.

Earthsea means something

4 Likes

I absolutely love this module, I have been using the glyphs to switch up different sounds on the just friends (in oscillator mode) and it is just so exciting.

0 Likes

Any tips on tuning your oscillator(s) with Earthsea? The bottom most pitch on Ansible is 0v, which has been really helpful, is there a 0v pitch on Earthsea? I’m having trouble finding it. I’ve been tuning based on the root note position I’m interested in, but would love to be able to tune the oscillator without Earthsea sending voltage, and then know how that will relate to the grid.

Sorry if this is obvious, or if my description is naive…let me know if I’m missing something obvious!

0 Likes

According to my Mordax Data, the lowest pitch (key right of the portamento key) from Earthsea is also 0V (well it wavers between 0.00V and 0.01V which is probably close enough!). And it tracks nicely across the grid up to 4.11V.

2 Likes

Q: as far as I can see the CV slew isn’t applied when using the triples. This seems like a bug. Can others confirm this behaviour? (I think I’m currently running a debug build of the ES firmware with the avr changes).

0 Likes

Another tuning question, why does the root note position change in the harmonic minor scale v. major scale in the Earthsea docs, http://monome.org/docs/modular/earthsea/

I’m a very amateur “play chords around the campfire” level guitarist, so might just not understand, but shouldn’t the root note be the same location regardless of the scale?

0 Likes

Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I believe those visuals are simply there to represent the general vertical/horizontal “pattern” of the various scales. I never took those to represent scales in the same keys - more just a general way to visualize the pattern of the scale so you can transpose it to any key you wish. The pattern stays the same no matter what key you base it in. The black boxes represent the root note. You can play any of the general patterns in the same key by making sure your starting place (the black box) is on the same grid button.

EDIT: studying these patterns would be a great way for anyone to transcend the “campfire” level of music theory - much easier, IMO, than a piano or guitar. Learning intervals is much easier due to the consistency the Grids layout provides.

2 Likes

I might not be understanding correctly (don’t have an Earthsea, anybody want to let go of one?) but can’t any note be a root? And the doc writer just happened to pick different locations to highlight when making the major and minor illustrations?

Ah, @bradfromraleigh’s reply came in while I was typing, sounds like we’re in agreement.

0 Likes

Ok…good…thought maybe I didn’t understand scales. Looking at it now, if they would have chosen the same root note for the harmonic minor as the major, they wouldn’t have been able to fit the left most scale notes in the grid. Makes sense.

For those of us that are doubtful about our music theory, it’s confusing :wink:

Totally on board with this. Thanks for the pointers!

1 Like

One of these days I will try and program the various scales into key map presets but I don’t believe these are varibright? Ideally, would be great if these were implemented so scale and key could be selected but I know Earthsea is on the shelf now - still a great module :slight_smile:

0 Likes

This module is the best can’t we petition someone to help with devel? I know nothing how it’s created i am just drawn to it, i don;t know why. i think part of it is because i struggle so hard trying to figure it out having read through docs several times :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Here’s a link to video of a patch I mentioned earlier in this thread

Simple chord patch with #monome earthsea . . . #eurorack #modularsynth #synthesizer #

A post shared by Ghost Hunter (@ghosthuntersounds) on Jun 24, 2017 at 10:29am PDT

I used 2x just friends for oscilators Noise from cold Mac mixed with JFs and used for percussion
Different shapes = different intervals between the oscillators

(edit: is it possible to embed instagram vids?)

3 Likes

It used to be? But it seems to be broken lately?

0 Likes

I’m scratching my head over ES / TT clocking commands. I feel pretty new to this still, so it’s likely a simple thing: essentially while I can use the ES.CLOCK command to sync ES up to an external clock (through a TT input), I haven’t yet figured out how to sync ES to the TT’s internal clock, without patch cables. Any pointers?

0 Likes

I am not sure if I miss your point somehow but I would just put a ES.CLOCK in the M script and start the metronome. This should work.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s simple looking at it now, but I guess that’s how it is when starting out with this stuff. I have another question to bat to you if your willing…
I’m trying to setup a clock divider on TT, corresponding to the ES clock. Again, using an external clock, I can do this quite easily using the EVERY command. However I’m unsure how to set this up to work against the internal clock. Help appreciated.

0 Likes

I am afraid I don’t really understand what your goal is. You have three clocks: ES clock, TT internal (metro) clock and an external clock, right?

Which one do you want to devide and what do you mean by setting up a clock devider, using an external clock, corresponding to the ES clock and against the TT metronome?

Maybe you could elaborate a bit what you want to actually happen musically?

On a side note, I wonder if this is more TT specific than ES specific and you might get more help on the TT scripting thread.

1 Like