Edison - unwalden

hey all!
new self released album out today.
this record is an ode to the norns.
it is also an ode to staying inside for a year, and all the things thoreau would be sad about.

all songs are norns recordings, chopped and rearranged.
sound sources are ableton and ipad.
honestly, i’ve been feeling pretty bummed about music lately,
as the pandemic has me without studio or daycare.
(not to mention the weight of the state of the world)

but recently, i started digging though old sessions, and found 21 norns things…
pretty mellow things.
hope you dig it
thanks!

nic

52 Likes

I’m interested that you say you’ve been going through old sessions - I’ve lately started doing a similar thing with a bunch of cassette demotapes I made in the early 1990s, feeding snippets through various scripts (mostly granular samplers) on my Shield and making something new from the results.

Thanks for linking - I’ll check it out for sure!

5 Likes

whoa!
early 90s would be awesome to go through!
i still have a box of 4 track tapes from that era, somewhere in my parents attic.
would be crazy to hear that stuff.

my old sessions are just over the last year.
i got the norns a couple weeks before lockdown.
somehow i ended up with recorded songs…
haha

thanks for checking it out!

2 Likes

It’s turning into quite a trip! Part of it is like looking the wrong way through a telescope, it’s so long ago - but it also feels like a weird kind of diary, only, in a good way! - and the results are, well, I’m into it, at least (again, like you, I was feeling really meh about making music for too long)

3 Likes

This is very nice. Took a listen through after I saw it posted in the “what are you listening to” thread earlier this morning. Perfect soundtrack for my misty morning over here.

Makes me want to go back through some of my own norns recordings and assemble some things, though mine are kinda all over the place, and I often have trouble returning to old work and getting in the right mind state. Anyway, well done!

2 Likes

nasty

3 Likes

@lilskullymane ahhhhh! gasface!

@crim thanks a lot! do it! lets hear those jams!

1 Like

I have always love your beats :heartbeat:

Really really stoked to hear new stuff…

This is so the vibe. I hope you’re gifted the time to make more awesome music like this.

2 Likes

snap! thank you so much…
very kind words.

2 Likes

I’ve been jammin’ to this all day! Thank you for the excellent music.

3 Likes

woke up this morning and started bumping this and we had a wonderful freestyle session.

2 Likes

This has been a lovely afternoon soundtrack on a particularly difficult day. thank you.

4 Likes

this is so awesome, really nice work!

1 Like

Great record! Congrats on the release.

daily dealings with the dishwasher
And this is too soon man… Too soon ;p

1 Like

yooooooooooooo. absolute slewed magic.
what an incredible way to end the day. you’re a warrior, dude.
so glad you bundled these gems up for the rest of us :rainbow:

1 Like

damn…
thank you all so much!
thank you for making amazing noise to inspire and beautiful tools to work work with!
lines is THE best

3 Likes

This is so dope. I love the titles almost as much as the tunes. :pray:

3 Likes

After listening to the first few tracks, I went ahead and bought the album. I’m really looking forward to spending some time with it. Thanks for sharing it with us!

2 Likes

second this. this is great stuff @edison. the titles and your description about recording amidst working, taking care of kids really hits home. the songs take on this kinda “time between time” vibe and its so mellow and cool that it seems like you can make everything fun and relaxing (good example: logging in to your healthcare). so good.

2 Likes

thank you so much all! needless to say, you have me highly recharged to make some more noise!

2 Likes