Educators and Teachers thread

The course I’m teaching is called “Topics in MIDI” (Their title, not mine) which I suppose gives me free reign to talk about anything I want.

As an introductory course for undergrads (they’re mostly going to be engineers, data science, CS majors… I go to a polytechnic school as a grad student) I have seven weeks to have some crash courses in many different topics.

I was hoping to have mini-projects every week that explore and demonstrate a specific concept in music technology, and each week builds upon techniques from the previous weeks. So, Week 1 starts with basic MIDI, recording audio, signal processing, and I’m hoping to get to designing systems for live performance and algorithmic approaches in Max by week 7. Problem is, I don’t think I have enough time to even delve into Max, as I could easily spend all seven weeks on Max and it would still be a challenge for a lot of students. I suppose a lot of those concepts can be illustrated in just Ableton by using different MIDI effects, the clip follow functions and Max could be avoided entirely, as much as I want to whip it out and start patching on the fly. Maybe I’ll just demonstrate it as an aid for design.

Some other areas of interest I’d like to cover are audio synthesis (probably just subtractive, maybe some FM), sampling, and tools for production (concepts like compression, sidechains, signal routing, sends, all the fancy mixing tools)

the Ableton site, if you check it out, starts with not much assumption that one has used Ableton or any other DAW, which is a nice perk

https://www.ableton.com/en/education/

Ableton offers a 30 day free trial period, and a nice academic discount…

I’ve had my music tech students buy the intro version in lieu of a textbook!

Hi all, I’m largely a lurker here on lines, but I’m very interested in this thread as well. I teach graphic design at an art school, a large university, and as of recently at a local community college. I also run an educational initiative called the Southland Institute, which is, among other things, an attempt to examine and propose alternatives to higher education in art and design in the United States. My interest in and approach to graphic design education is holistic and interdisciplinary, and I’m always looking for ways of incorporating ideas from other creative fields into projects, lessons, and conversations. Of particular relevance to this list, I’m interested in ways that open source approaches can be used with regard to sharing teaching resources, using and reconfiguring existing structures and formats in new, and more accessible ways.

Sure thing. I’ll send you a copy.