Electro-Smith Daisy Microcontroller Platform

I don’t think it would be too difficult to do, but it would it still take some work. From what little I’ve seen of the MI codebases, they seem to have decoupled the DSP bits from the hardware-specific bits, so this should make portability easier.

It’s a far more likely outcome that ES will port individual DSP components to their DaisySP library, rather than try to have one-to-one module compatibility.

1 Like

FYI, this just got posted on their kickstarter:

We’ve gotten a lot of requests for adding displays to the Patch and Field platforms, which we think is a great idea!

The downside is that we might have to remove some features in order to squeeze them in :frowning:

Here are some mockups that we’ve been working on. Let us know what you think in the comments!

Instead of a 4x4 led display, an OLED display. Resolution + size is not mentioned, though 128x64 would be a good guess (like the norns).

They don’t seem to explicitly mention which features they’d have to let go of, but judging from the mock-ups, the quadraphonic audio would be one of the things that would have to go.

1 Like

Interesting! So would the individual DSP elements be things like Cloud’s granular vs it’s reverb, or is it lower level than that? Another thing I’d be interested in is the wavefolder from one of the Warps modes.

Depends. It’s dictated by how the code is structured. Also, it’s at the discretion of the author porting the code how much granularity (no pun intended) is desired.

Jumping in blind here, but a quick glance at the at the Clouds code shows that there seems to be a handful of self-contained components including the granulator, a looper, a WSOLA sampler, a phase vocoder, a correlator, a reverberator, and a pitch shifter. All bits that could potentially be mixed and matched in new an interesting ways. Some rain and sunshine to go with your clouds.

Those components do break down into lower levels. The Reverb, for instance, breaks down into delay line components, which are then used as delays and allpass filters in the reverb topology. These come with the reverb code one way or another. You could also port these as well. BUT, from a creative audio-programming standpoint, it’s probably not really worth breaking the reverb algorithm up.

4 Likes

The latest Kickstarter update from daisy:

1 Like

is the Vin going to +5 volt?

1 Like

I believe they said it could be USB powered, which would mean there should be 5v on there somewhere…

2 Likes

Got another backer update today. Electrosmith is based in California and there is the full shelter in place order there so fulfillment will be delayed. According to their update they’re shooting for mid-May shipping at this point. I guess we’ll see what happens.

That is a completely understandable turnaround time but I can’t say I’m not bummed. I was hoping to get to mess with my Daisy during quarantine times. But then again given the truly awful federal response here in the states, and just the nature of this disease we may be in quarantine long past mid-May I suppose…