Yea, got it right after launch. As background, FM is my favorite drum synthesis method and I thought I’d love the Digitone for its somewhat simplified take on FM, but quickly found out that it was still very much in the way of me creating music. So I sold the Digitone and got the Model:Cycles.
First I was worried they went too far in simplifying FM but I’ve now grown to love the immediacy of this thing. Such direct control and wonderful width of timbres you can get out of it. And at that price, with the Elektron sequencer, in my opinion it’s a steal for a drum machine.
- Playability and directness
- Class compliant USB for stereo audio out and midi I/O (works like a charm on iPad Pro)
- 5V power, so you can use a power bank (or in my case JBL Charge speaker) with an adapter for jams on the go
- Track probability is a beautiful rhythm tool
- Control all shines in FM as you get to weird and bat shit crazy territory in a blink
- Only one LFO (ipad solves this and suddenly you have hundreds of LFOs)
- No envelope (unless you sacrifice your only LFO)
- No individual outs but hey…
I think I’ve said this about several Elektron machines before, but at the moment this feels like one of the most fun machines I’ve used. Brilliantly limited and endlessly playable.