Ellipses

I was just told that using ellipses indicates being annoyed…

Is this true?

My writing style is to end every sentence with… It’s just a thing I do because every thought is open-ended…

Am I being a jerk?

Argh!

3 Likes

It’s a text messaging thing. Someone asks you an obviously irritating question and rather than answer you reply with only “…”

Ellipses continue to have their prior meaning in long form text, I’d think.

3 Likes

Depending on the context it could come across in a passive/aggressive way. To me, it can sometimes indicate doubt or doubting of others. It may also imply that there’s more you’d like to say but are holding back.

1 Like

Fun fact: an alternative to the “20 characters” problem on Discourse forums, type as many … As you need to get to 20. The characters count, but Discourse turns the series of periods into a single ellipsis when it displays your post.

14 Likes

I came into this thread expecting some kind of branch off of ‘lines’ called ‘ellipses’. now I’m dreaming up a bunch of punctuation-based communities.

side-note: ellipses can indicate a trailing off or an unsaid but mutually understood conclusion to a sentence, both of which are forms of language that is often used in stressful conversations. I think it depends on the tone of the actual words though, not the way you punctuate them.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the point of th…

4 Likes

– I like you.
– I like you too.

– I like you…
– But not enough uh?

5 Likes

I have this weird habit of ending spoken sentences with “, but…” when I don’t actually mean to indicate either vague doubt or that there’s something else to add.

It annoys me when I notice myself doing it, but…

5 Likes

Perhaps one of my greatest peeves: ellipses using greater than three periods.

I will gatekeep proper ellipses all day.

Receiving them in response to work emails tends to bother me as well.

“Thanks…”

See if I ever assist you again without a palpable degree of scorn.

4 Likes

Funny. I often use … when I’m trying to get what I think is the most relevant bits I have to contribute to a conversation across while also indicating that there is more to be had if the other party is interested. …or that the thought is open ended.

I guess context is everything.

1 Like

This is the worst. I have one customer that does this and every time my internal monologue screams, “THANKS BUT WHAT, JOYCE?!”

9 Likes

Funny, “thanks” is one place I would not be inclined to use ellipses!

I don’t use them when I use exclamation points or question marks…

Interesting how this thread is unfolding…

I wonder if I like to use them because almost every thought feels incomplete, perhaps tying in with the ADD thread…

You’re all great!

3 Likes

OMG…

3 Likes

i used to regularly use this loophole but with underscores rather than ellipses

3 Likes

learning Japanese ends up kinda like using ellipses all the time.

things like すみませんがちょっとsumimasen ga chotto translates like “I’m sorry, but that’s a little…” (with the voice trailing off at the end)
The phrase is typically used instead of saying “no” to some question.

6 Likes

Funnily enough i consider a full stop more likely to cause accidental rudeness or a misunderstanding than ellipsis in text messaging.

2 Likes

47%20AM

3 Likes

I believe that I avoid ellipses in messages, working extra hard to bring sentences to their full-stop conclusion, as a way to make up for all the sentences that trail off when I speak in real life, when my ADD brain gets lost.

I have tried to use them that way in playwriting to indicate utterances that peter out midway, but discovered in live reads that the convention in scripts is for ellipses to set up interruptions – cessation of speech due to external, rather than internal causes.

2 Likes

my discourse pet peeve: it automatically converts two dots to ellipses. i find .. and ... quite a bit different in meaning.

also reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/namwalien/status/1171081079463088130

it’d be cool to make a norns script that parses given text and generates sounds where each punctuation mark or combination is assigned to a particular sound.

1 Like

i initially read this as “eclipses”…

1 Like