ER-301 Sound Computer

you can add whatever unit after the unit that streams from the card! what x2mirko means is that you can’t pitch it and other manipulation :slight_smile:

Here’s the documentation: ER-301/Card Player - O|D Wiki

1 Like

I see. So I can add a filter unit after the playback unit and go from there adding as many units as the cpu allows?

Also I saw you say I wouldn’t be able to use pitch but that page linked showed that there was a sample speed parameter?

Yeah you can add filtering, reverb, delay, whatever.
The speed just speeds the sample up. Pitching is different!

1 Like

Hey people, is there anyone here that uses piano wav samples with er301, that maybe could help me find the right ones, or any advice about it?
Would like to know how do you use piano sounds with er301 non-multisample devices.

Thx!

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking for. There’s a really good piano sample in the 301 sample GitHub. I use it all the time sliced to individual notes in a varispeed player. There are also tons of free sample packs that have cool piano samples, though not as thorough. A single note “c3” Mellotron sample can get you a lot of mileage in something like the manual grains unit…

If I’m missing the point of your question please lmk, I use the 301 almost exclusively as a sample player on drugs (and a mixer).

2 Likes

Hey @Antlerface, sorry for the delay, yep you got the point, maybe I was not very clear… anyway I found some good piano samples these days. I’d love to use those with er301 and Teletype, similar to what I do with JF, but the way you have to work with piano samples the er301 samplers and the results don’t satisfy me, so I was asking for tips (disting ex should be the right choice for these kind of things).
About the the manual grains, I use it all the times with satisfaction, I really love how it sounds, it’s definitely one of my go to granulator, of course not for live granulation, unfortunately, would be nice to not have those clicks…

Hello, I am trying to figure out if I really need an ER301 or not within my systems.
As much as I understand the relevance of this module in small boxes with a Swiss army knife side, it is less clear with other configurations. I have a norns, some ciat lonbarde and a shared system. My idea was either to have the ER in a small box to support my other systems or to integrate it in my shared system. Do you think it can replace a morphagene in my shared system?
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I am still reading the whole thread from the beginning so I apologize if my question is not very relevant.
Edit:What are the capabilities of the mixer? Can it replace an x-pan? Thanks!

1 Like

What do you use morphagene for? I have both and they are often in the same case

1 Like

Until now I often use a little bit of MG pseudo granularity and sound on sound. In the long run I would like to have a tool that allows better handling of field recording tracks, real granularity and other sound mangling.

301 works very well as a mixer, especially in hands-off style summing/automated approaches… I enjoy being able to fully customize my mixer to the specific needs of a patch. using it as more of a hands on performance mixer requires a lot of physical controls - which can eat up inputs or get a 16n/i2c controller involved. I wish the 301 supported midi it would really open up a lot of options for controllers.

Edit/P.s. I recently started experimenting with swapping the 301 for an es-9 + ipad + drambo combo and i am really enjoying it. it can do all of the 301 things, has midi learn, polyphony, etc.

Edit #2 (lol) - the one thing that the 301 does better than drambo (for now) is the memory buffer flexibility and being able to read the same buffer from multiple players

3 Likes

I mean the 301 does all this really well. The difference with morphagene is that you have essentially one hands on audio buffer with a lot of knob control. The 301 has one knob and relies on either I2c and something like a 16n or direct cv control with voltage offsets (I use two quadratts) which then become your assignable knobs. The 301 could probably literally emulate a morphagene but I don’t think a 1:1 unit has been built yet.

But, I haven’t used a eurorack module that was better at granular (caveat: I have not used arbhar, the noise engineering one, etc). The ability to access the same buffer in multiple places, live granular, handle large audio files in the highest fidelity, all at one time is pretty much unmatched outside of an actual computer. The 301 could absolutely do everything you listed at the same time, the morph could only do one of them.

I should also say that the synthesis possible in the 301 is also amazing, and there are many great synth units (a very good representation of mangrove, for example). It also has some great delays, sound on sound looping, etc.

4 Likes

To be honest, I think the 301 shines in a larger modular ecosystem.

2 Likes

You mean wider than my shared system? I must admit that I prefer not to exceed my 7u 104hp eurorack. It’s a limit I impose on myself :slight_smile:

Personally I think that’s a perfect size for a 301 system.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, it reassures me. I’m asking about the mixer and if it can replace my x-pan so I don’t have to remove my DPO. It will allow me to better think about my current configuration and what I should replace or not in my shared system.
@Whatwetalkabout Thank you for your feedback. I am reassured, I have anyway a 16n more that will really serve me if I take the step and I find a relatively reasonable price.

I00% agree on the above. I’ve owned Morphagene, Rossum Assimilator, 4ms sampler, Nebula V2, Clouds etc but I always felt each of those modules missed some features for my needs. With the Er-301 I’ve been able to build a combination of my dream granular machine/sample mangler with the exact functions that suits my needs. Control wise I got it hooked up with a 16n Faderbank via I2C. Although it’s an advanced module, i feel that it’s much less frustrating to use than, lets say, the Assimlator . The workflow of the ER-301 is IMO very rewarding as you dig deeper and leave me constantly inspired.

3 Likes

Of course! It will certainly handle x pan duties and is also one of the best mixers in euro.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. I’ve been playing live with a quite similar sized system, and the 301 can do a lot of heavy lifting, vastly expanding the sonic variety in such a setting.

EDIT: IMHO the micro systems thread while having some cool setups, also have some setups, where I personally would prefer either a real computer or a groove box instead. I would miss some (a lot) of hands-on control, some input (audio and CV), some sequencing and a few complimentary sound sources. But I might just be me :slight_smile:

EDIT2: I have no hands on experience with norns, so no opinion on this.

1 Like

The only thing that worries me in what you say is that it could also replace my norns (at least in relation to my use which is more based on everything that is fx and delay/sampling) :smiley:
edit : otherwise I have to rethink my approach to norns in addition to an ER :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have a Norns and I don’t think it could replace Norns or vice versa. The 301 is truly a unique module. The only thing I can think of that is a closer comparison would be an octatrack, but of course the 301 doesn’t have a sequencer…

2 Likes