ER-301 Sound Computer

just found this somewhat hidden “firmware release notes” submenu on the OD website. pasting here for others who might have missed it:

Pending Issues
Running out of memory or CPU cycles may result in crashes or inconsistent behavior. Safe-guards and warnings are needed.
Unit loading time increases as more and more units are loaded.
Occasional pop in the audio when a newly created mini-scope (real-time waveform view) is scrolled into view.
Hold mode is not implemented yet.
Current scope mode implementation is bare-bones.
6-track Recorder: It is currently the user’s responsibility to make sure that the SD card can keep up with the bandwidth requirements.
Sub-chain scope sometimes doesn’t reflect recent edits.
Sample Pool: Repeatedly deleting and loading samples will eventually cause memory fragmentation, limiting the maximize size of subsequently loaded samples.
Delay Units: Maximum delay time is currently hard-coded at 1 second.
Delay Units: Buffer memory is allocated from system memory rather than the sample pool.
Some font readability issues.

Pending Features
Time-stretching in the Sample Player Unit.
Shared chains
Wave-table synthesis and extraction
Clock-aware time parameters for delay units
External modulation of gain and cutoff parameters in the Equalizer Unit.
Reverb Unit
Spatialization Unit
Remember encoder fine/coarse setting in each parameter separately.
Auto-slicing

Ideally, it should be both: easy and effortless, OR complex and deep if/when you want it to be.

Accomplishing that is a matter of balancing user interface and functionality design.

I hope he will provide some kind of API so that users can also write their own units.

Yes, thats the idea, easier said than done unfortunately! :sweat_smile:

Right!
Which is why everyone is not a designer.
(And i am thankful for that.)
:wink:

just learned about the 1010 bitbox - interesting alternative to the 301 if you’re looking for looping/layering/sample manipulation but none of the processing. can’t say the design is as pretty as the 301, but the touchscreen + 4 encoders + narrower feature set could make for a more intuitive interface.

I really want to pair something like this with an FM/shortwave radio.

Yea! def got an eye on that one too – hoping to see some sound on sound examples!

What are you thinking? Radio as a sound source? Or to use in a broadcast capacity as well?

You’re giving me ideas that might expand on a long-gestating conceptual backcountry installation.

Aside: are you licensed?

I was thinking sound source, but now you’re blowing my mind.

I’m not licensed, but honestly? I’d probably be more likely to use the internet than radio. Unless we’re planning post-apocalypse long distance concerts in which the internet has not survived the nuclear holocaust, which is certainly an entertaining train of thought. :wink:

Really just had reception in mind, but transmission… I’ll canoodle on that.

Well, I only have a Technician Class license (bottom of three), but it’s enough that I have an understanding of what’s possible.

The two worlds–broadcast radio and internet–are well entwined now. Much as there’s VOIP or AoIP, there’s what you might call RoIP, and it’s gaining popularity.

Radio can be a wonderful conceptual space to play in. The problem, as I see it, are the restrictions on conduct and what’s actually permitted. Strictly speaking, it would be illegal to broadcast a purely musical performance, but the things I’m kind of thinking about aren’t really about concerts per se; more something a little more conceptual; a little more on the side of an art installation. It also integrates with locations I’m fascinated with that are remote, generally inaccessible to the average person, and sometimes require technical skill to gain; the idea is to connect one or two of these geographic locations with other fairly distant locations–long story. May never happen.

It would all probably be technically illegal, but the FCC and other agencies (i.e., ARRL) have bigger things to worry about on air than what some weirdo art guy is doing on some remote frequency.

Shortwave gets really interesting: you can reach people on literally the other side of the globe.

Even cooler: you can do it from a tiny, battery-powered remote rig sitting in the middle of nowhere…if you know what you’re doing…which I don’t…but it’s possible.

Morse code, or “CW” as it’s more commonly referred to, abstracts the whole thing. I suppose people interested in coding might find it somewhat fruitful, at least conceptually.

Radio transmission and reception

This is completely fascinating to me. Apologies for wandering off-topic, it’s just the kind of thing that a sampling engine makes me think about.

Does shortwave transmission come with the same set of restrictions that HAM radio has? (licensing etc) (oops, i went off-topic again…)

Made a new thread in case you want to continue the discussion.

Radio transmission and reception

Have you guys checked this out? I’m so impressed by this code - so tidy.

I was chatting to Brian from od - he owns a bunch of monome gear - I asked if teletype intergration
"sounds like it could be an interesting pairing…in fact, wouldn’t that potentially be a finished 4-voice synth and very portable?

FYI, there is a UART port available on the back of the ER-301 that I believe can be configured to also be an I2C port. I haven’t tested it but the pins are there. Who knows?"

So with just friends in there as well - crazy powerful- do everything fun box :slight_smile:

For me, this makes total sense and considering his track record with firmware I expect pretty amazing things from this.

Brian also replied to me when i asked if we can hope for TT/Ansible integration :
"The hardware is there and exposed for them to communicate. So it will be possible once things have settled a bit."
That’s exciting.

maybe something close to an MLR module when everything is combined!!

So, who’s got one ?
I’ve spent a few hours on mine and i must say that i’m impressed !
It took me a while to grasp a few concepts (mainly how to modulate parameters, how mixers work, etc.) but it feels very powerful. The whole file system, sample pool etc. still confuses me a lot.
I love the fact that you have oscilloscopes everywhere to monitor the inputs.

just put mine into the case.
literally zero hours of experience.
updated to the latest bleeding edge firmware.
now off to learn the thing.

mines going to be another week

I’m really interested to hear your experience with the file system etc. please post some more thoughts as you go @chapelierfou ! :smiley:
Mine is shipped, but still a week away. Looking forward to more vids – the links so far posted in the muffs thread looks very promising!