ER-301 Sound Computer

wow!! very cool
so you recorded your live performance with ES+rings in a .wav file and then you played that file with 301+ansible.
correct?

Yeah. With the 301 you have to create a buffer in order to record anything. Once the buffer is created and recorded to you can go back in and rename it and save it to you audio pool. Any sampler player unit you create can access that buffer or any others in you sample pool. you can also continue to record onto that buffer with a sample recorder unit and all the subsequent sample player units that share that buffer will reflect those changes.

i’ve been trying to figure out the processes of this video. it looks like you divided the sample into several dozen slices and assigned them to notes, played in reverse. the playhead is then scrolled through the notes/slices with one arc encoder, and possibly another encoder is shifting octaves/range at the same time, which might explain some of the larger jumps. is that about right? i would love to have seen the hands-on portion of the video. this looks like such a fantastic way to work! mlrv-like exploration, but with arc, and in hardware–the convergence of so many dreams.

Yeah. Slices were placed in the sample player. Using Cycles on Ansible, one of the arc’s knobs was outputting CV addressing which slice would play while another knob’s rotation was outputting triggers telling the play head to reset and start playing back from the selected slice. The jumps occur when the roatation of the knob controlling slices outpaces the one firing off triggers.

to pair up with 301 what would folks recommend as a pre-amp module and a cheap microphone? i use sony pcm-m10 for field recordings but it’d be nice to avoid having to do the file transfer each time. doesn’t need to be high quality, just something to experiment with household sounds.

edit: mikrophonie / ears seems a perfect fit: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-ears
does anybody have experience using it with an external mic?

gozinta from circuit abbey can’t be beat. tons of gain, good sound quality and two amplifiers in only 4hp.
the amp in mikrophonie is fairly noisy in comparison.

do you find it noisy to the point of being unusable? what attracts me is the gate and env follower outputs which would allow to also use it as a controller in smaller case.

I don’t know about ears. I was mostly talking about mikrophonie. It seemed like you didn’t have much headroom before it began to distort.

thanks, good to know! was reading up on ears and sounds like olivier redesigned the circuit and he said the amp was very clean.

Ears is definitely cleaner and less lofi than Mikrophonie. S.B.G is also a nice option, but the lack of gate and enveloppe is less desirable in my current setup. All these option seem to never fulfil my desire of an absolutely clean Euro level converter/booster. On the other hand, Ears can crunch your sound in a really pleasant way.

Seriously check out gozinta.

Technical note, after looking up Gozinta: it is a line amp only, not a mic amp. @scanner_darkly you’d still need a proper mic amp between your mic and something like a Gozinta.

Also, Ears is a contact mic…no? That doesn’t rule it out of course, but it should be noted that it won’t record the same way a regular dynamic or condenser would.

yep, ears has a built in contact mic but also an input for external sources. from the manual:

A. Gain control, 0 to +40dB. This large gain ranges covers everything – from the amplification of line-level instruments, to the magnification of tiny sonic details captured by external contact microphones.

B. Contact microphone. Scratch, tap, rub, brush… to your heart’s delight.

1. Hi-Z Audio input. Amplifies an external source. Patching a cable here disconnects the contact microphone.

If you do get a Gozinta you could chain the two channels in series to give you more gain.

By far, the best friend of the ER-301 for an solid field recording station would be this : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/cwejman-ap-1-

I know it’s not cheap and easy to get but I think they would pair perfectly.

The gozinta has a ton of gain for dynamic mics. If you want to use condenser mics you’ll need phantom power.

Along those lines, what about an Xaoc Sewastopol?

24db per channel per the page; even in series that’s 48db, which isn’t all that much, especially considering at least some high quality dynamics like the SM7 have notoriously low outputs. Not as sure with 58s, 57s and the like, as I never use them.

This isn’t even taking in to account impedance matching, and having to use adapters and such.

I’m not saying it won’t work. It’s just not the ideal tool for the job, and success will partly depend on the level of the source.

EDIT: what I DO like about the Gozinta for this purpose is 4hp. I’d use a nicely spec’d external mic pre and run that line out in to the Gozinta. I wouldn’t want to take up more room than that in a rack next to the 301 for level matching alone.

Well, the Sewastopol look like a really nice option, but still built around the in/out (FX send) idea. Also, there is only a release control and no compressor. I think there no real competitor to the AP-1. Maybe this : http://sputnik-modular.com/efpreamp/ but I’m skeptical about the specs.

For the AP-1, here is a part of the description for the preamp section :

“The preamp section consist of a low noise /high speed gain booster for signals to an adequate level for the opto compressor. Two audio inputs are accessible; the mic input provided by a balanced XLR socket and instrument input provided by 1/4 ‘’ single ended socket. The mic input can be powered by the phantom voltage (48 Volts) for driving condenser microphones. The mic amplifiers wide gain range (from 1 to 71 dB) is ideal for amplification of week signals (ribbon microphones and dynamic microphones) and a high output level condenser microphones. The instrument amplifier has 6 dB lower gain range than the microphone amplifier and it’s ideal for amplification of signals from high impedance sources, such as guitar pick-ups, piezo-transducers and other weak to moderate level signal sources.”

It looks like hard to beat! :slight_smile:

yeah, different options for different purposes - i like the idea of a smaller system to take with you wherever, kitchen if you’d like, just to record different sounds quickly and build up a track. for serious work an external pre-amp or recorder makes more sense… but for something quick and small 4hp or less is ideal.

here is another 4hp alternative, this one has a hi/lo shelf eq: http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=777