ER-301 Sound Computer

Say what?

Seriously?

Boy I wish he’d update his site with at least a cursory list of essential features/capabilities. It can’t be that hard.

+1 on this. the more that i hear about this the more interesting it becomes, but I still don’t totally understand what it’s capable of.

edit: this video is still the most helpful, i just hadn’t watched it until now on account of it’s 24 minute run time.

Yeah just watch the video. For the most part I t’s all there.

I sort-of watched that video a day or two after it was released. I don’t find that method of introduction a terribly useful way of organizing and representing basic information.

This is better:

Yeah. For my test i had 4 channels of outgoing audio on the 301 A sequenced chopped sample, a looper and two simple sample playback channels, with eq and delay. In addition I had other things happening with the system as a whole which were all routed into the Toppobrillo mixer, the two main out of this were fed back into the 301 and I recorded a 2 channel mix that way. Ran for about 10 minutes with no hiccups. Perhaps you could have enough stuff going on that it would cause some problems. But with this set up and others similar to this I have found no issues. I am running the 48k 24bit version of the firmware. This module is pretty fucking awesome. The mix of utility and sound creation/processing is really cool. And as someone who does not like a lot of menus I find it really easy to use.

David, thanks. Outstanding summary.

I understand you’re working at 48k, but does it also support 96k?

Semi-related: I think I’ve read comments above, or elsewhere, that suggest it might be cabable of non-real-time resampling, the way old hardware samplers like Emus and Akais could do, where you would effectively render out a new sample incorporating whatever processing you had in place on the original region. Is it possible?

At the moment there are 2 versions of the firmware, one at 96 and the other at 48. Eventually you will be able to switch them without having to load an alternate firmware. And using the same “recorder” that you would to record long takes you can “sample” stuff to load into a sample player unit very much like an old sampler. The sample editing tools are pretty limited at the moment, no truncating etc, but I am sure that will be updated as well.

2nd batch is available for ordering: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-301

Scccccooooorrrreeee! People’s choice for the win!

Call me dim (Dim!), but is the only difference between People’s Choice and original the bare metal face plate?

I’d be curious to hear what others think suits this most. I rather like the grey, but it’s not important I imagine.

I suppose I should just go ahead and order the damn thing already and be done with it. I’ll get an Assimil8or too and can have eleventy billion channels of sampling weirdness, and lose myself in a miasmal infinity of noise so as to not hear the death cries of Amereeka, because why not?

yes. Just a different faceplate. I’ll be with you drowning out the fall of the empire.

original - grey powder coated steel panel / black type
Nostalgia- grey powder coated steel panel / white type
people’s choice - aluminum panel / metal-photo black type

But which is bestest? THAT is the question!

Not liberty or death…which faceplate.

Because, priorities.

People’s choice because it looks like monome/mannequins :wink:

Logic prevails!

Faith in humanity restored.

Questions for 301 users:

1. as far as I can tell, there is no onboard sequencing ability. Correct?

2. for use in a very compact field system (under 54hp total), what would be your 4 channel controller of choice? Pressure Points would be ideal, but it is far too big for this purpose.

Thoughts?

obvious answer: ansible and one of the trilogy modules. i don’t think you could pack more into 12hp.

With what in front of an Ansible/ES?

For the way I’m imagining using this system, I would not want to bring an Arc or Grid out in to the field.

I’d throw in a cv trinity for modulation magic.

No onboard sequencer. (OD makes the ER-101/102 for sequencing)

For compact control ansible is pretty great (paired with Arc or grid). Also Offy from Circuit Abbey gives you four offsets in 4hp.
something like the intellijel planar would be really expressive.