error garden

goals

my goals for this album was to purposely leave behind my strongly-held ideas of compositional structure without entirely leaving behind my affinity for compositional structure. normally, I would tend towards common structures (e.g. ABABCA, or just AAAAAA sometimes) but for this album I opted to try to often change chord progressions within each song and avoid transitions back to a previous chord progression (e.g. ABCDEF). each song’s non-repetitive structure makes it a bit disorienting sometimes (to me anyways) - as if you could drop in at any part of the song and feel like its structured but not really know where you came from or where its going. I like that feeling. it reminds me a bit of a maze. inside a maze you can know that you are surrounded by a common structure (walls and floor) but its always a little unclear how you arrived from the beginning and how to will make it to the exit. with this in mind I decided the call the album “error garden” which is a literal translation of the German word for maze, der Irrgarten. taking inspiration from a maze is not intended to cause dread. the track names are all entitled “right” as a reminder that in every maze (that’s simply connected) you can essentially just make only right turns and you will find your way out. like a maze, I hope the album is enjoyable space to get lost.

like my previous album I want to make music that inspires running and movement. so in this album, almost all of the tempos are fast (~160’s) and a lot of the drums are samples of breakbeats. I like evocative chord progressions too (the basis of another album) and aligning the chord progressions with striking poetry and spoken word. some of those are also featured (listed on bandcamp).

process

I made this album between June 2021 and December 2021. I wrote the entire album on a Teenage Engineering OP-Z which I liked for its keyboard input, its multi-track sequencer and its portability. the entire album is actually loadable on the device: all the data is available on my Github. the OP-Z portability was key as I was able to compose parts in liminal spaces - laundromats, airplanes, hotels, couches. the OP-Z “sound” wasn’t my jam so instead I used its sequences and multi-track recorded each instrument separately for each track. the sounds are mostly from an OP-1, SH-01A, Strega, and norns. multi-track recording was done with cobbled together norns scripts and then mixed in Ableton.

the artwork for this album is a painting I made of the Glendurgan Garden Maze. it is a 36"x36" acrylic on canvas, digitized into a 1200x1200 pixels. this art is for sale (the actual physical piece, not a NFT of the image).

the whole process of composition, recording, and mixing was enjoyable. the result has been my go-to music for weeks now. I re-mixed this album over a dozen times and re-listened to it each time while out running. despite listening to every song dozens of times, I still have joy re-listening.

bandcamp codes to redeem here nctc-yczm wjnq-bhy6 e9d9-wv2k g24k-w8s9 txe2-hrht te6d-vdqb t83c-6dgw hnhy-vgd9 jwen-6bxt 9h6l-kxmb z43h-6vyw nedp-g9b4 w648-3z4m czs3-czjg e2qw-xg93 8x84-jbk4 2cz4-ywzm dp2j-bxy6 jnkd-h8l3 6wyp-v2qs nhkg-gd6d lq3y-3h8h 48xz-hjbv cucz-vyd9 ewju-63xt gs9d-64mb th2s-kqyw 2ele-gzb4 d8sg-364m kq9l-jcjb kg24-kw8w nklj-gx34 lze8-bqdm 4t62-w9wg euyw-htl3 gwke-vbqs 3sy9-gc6d dquz-3x8h sgwk-hvbv s2st-j8d9 u4zs-yskm xe2e-blt6 q6lg-wm3k 9nsz-cgc9 zdqn-x34t yj8x-jwjb ygus-6s8w 3twp-y434 dzjg-bmdm syg3-wzwg khu4-6jtw uqwq-ykr4 x8h6-bkhm 4k42-c9qg qnpd-x863 9d9c-j2z4 3htc-ydkm wenq-bht6 e8d9-wj3k 8n4k-cyc9 twe2-hr4t xjut-34gh h9wy-hmrv h2hy-vtw9 qxen-6blt 9c6l-khvb zs3h-6vtw 3jdp-g9r4 wg48-39hm cts3-czqg pnqw-xt63 8w84-jbz4 xkq9-3jwm hz8u-ckdg j2zx-xyx3 9xyp-vrjs nckg-gd9d lp3y-3lgh c9xz-hjrv c3cz-vgw9 pxju-63lt 84gx-kxvb tc2s-kqtw 6u4y-cts9 klp3-x2ht kp9l-jcqb z624-kcgw
43 Likes

Thank you. Grabbed nctc-yczm

2 Likes

Just used:

Thanks, reading your write up has me very eager to listen.

1 Like

I love that is was all made with one instrument…that is the kind of workflow I like.

I used z624-kcgw

1 Like

Took this one. Eager to hear it!

1 Like

Used g24k-w8s9. Love this album. non-repeating progressions can convey a timelessness that I find really appealing. The concept of error maze makes me think about random search algorithms that can have surprising efficacy over constructed heuristic ones.

1 Like

Awesomeness…. Been looking forward to this one. I grabbed code qnpd-x863 for the record. Thank you!

1 Like

Used this one:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the code. Looking forward to give this a listen. I used this code: 3jdp-g9r4

1 Like

very kind of you to share
i’ll tell my friends to buy :metal:

1 Like

Thank you, I used c3cz-vgw9

1 Like

Listening to the wavs now, very nice.

nhkg-gd6d

Thank you.

1 Like

thank you, I used 6u4y-cts9…i think…:stuck_out_tongue:…looking forward to ellipticalling to this when my knee heals a litte more.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Look forward to listening later tonight :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic! I clicked on this thread’s title because it seemed oddly familiar to me and being German, I suppose it might indeed be due to the “Irrgarten” thing :laughing: Funny how these things go sometimes. I expected some dark, drony ambient stuff (which I like), but I was super-pleasantly surprised to hear your truly uplifting tunes instead.

I’m also a fan of making music “on the go” and I often judge/buy synths based on their travel-friendliness, so I feel I can relate to your process, which makes this even more enjoyable.

Anyway, thanks for this!

1 Like

Thank you for pnqw-xt63 !

1 Like

i feel it! also a bit like that feeling of getting lost at a huge party, and having fun finding your friends through the dance floor :smiley:
and thank you for code: xjut-34gh :hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you for this! In particular I’m looking forward to listening while running as you suggest - I feel like my music taste and my enjoyment of running are often at odds (i.e ambient + running = disappointing pace).

Thank you again!

I’ve used this code: t83c-6dgw

1 Like

Thanks a million. Loooking forward to giving it a proper listen tomorrow!

1 Like

thanks everyone for checking it out the erroneous garden path! :deciduous_tree: :house_with_garden:

yeah music-for-running might be one of my favorite genres @fourhoarder, @davidlovell! I do like ambient music for running too - it can bring you into a zone.

I would be curious, if anyone is inclined, to have any thoughts on what other genres/groups/albums sound like this album? I’ve found things that are pretty similar but my electronic musical knowledge is still pretty narrow. its a weird question, but I would love to know because I would love to listen to more of this kind of music and one of the reasons I make it is because I can’t seem to find this kind of thing. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

travel-friendliness is wonderful (and somewhat nessecary) and a lot can be said for it. interestinly, the intros to song 4 and song 8 were composed on an actual piano and there is a difference to be heard there - having the full piano definitely changes the sound. but I’m still extremely happy with what kind of composition I can get with the gear nowadays that can easily be carried.

yess! I like that. I think my next album will be based around random search algorithms…

3 Likes