Eurorack: ask questions here

Yap, sorry, that dawned on me after rattling on…:upside_down_face:

0 Likes

No it’s helpful! I don’t think much about what modules buffer signals vs which don’t, and for example I didn’t know Beast’s Chalkboard did that although it makes perfect sense that it would need to. I haven’t run into obviously discernible issues that I would attribute to a lack of buffering, which was why I asked in the first place.

0 Likes

Phew! :sweat_smile:

I suppose I haven’t run into a scenario where the lack of a buffered multiple caused a problem, but I haven’t been looking for it either. Mostly I’ve been relying on the conventional wisdom that pitch CV needs buffering. Something to test this weekend…

0 Likes

This is the only video I can find, which seems odd:

2 Likes

Hi guys,

This is my plan for an Eurorack module: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/805079

What do you think? I already have a Mother 32, a DFAM, an 0 Coast a Bastl Kastle, a Korg Sq-1 and a Moog Theremini. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27utlQKViYJOhdkHryg3xA?view_as=subscriber This is my youtube channel by the way).

Now my questions are:

1. I would love to control my modular with my Arturia Keystep. How do I do that?
  2. I would love to control my modular with my Korg Sq-1. How do I do that?
  3. What is missing from my rack? (I feel this is a stupid question, but I need to ask)Is there something I could do without?
  4. Will my rack be fun as a stand alone synth?
  5. I am only perplexed about the Rainmaker. It seems a lot of fun…but it is very expensive and it takes a lot of space as well

Bye
Simone

0 Likes

hello and welcome!

here is the best place for these kinds of questions. I know it may feel a bit futile tagging your questions on the end of such a long thread, but some of our most knowledgeable users check the thread regularly to help folks out. it also helps reduce clutter in the forum as a whole! this thread also might be of use.

clerical points aside, I can answer a few of your questions:

1/2. There are two options here. The first is to just use the keystep (or sq-1) CV outs to control pitch (or any other variable) on one of your modules. They use regular patch cables and track 1 volt per octave – I’m sure you’ve already done this with your m32 or 0-coast; interfacing with eurorack works just the same!). The second option is to run the keystep through a midi-cv converter. This gives you some advantages depending on which converter you want to use (polyphony!) but may be overkill for your set up.

1. Seems to me you’re missing a mixer (although maybe Disting serves this function? I’m not so familiar with it). With so many audio sources you’re really gonna want to route them through a mixer (although you can also mix externally if that’s your bag). By a similar token, you seem to have a lot of sound sources in general. The real magic of euro is in cv controlling all those voices to get the most out of them. You may want to consider something like Batumi or Stages as a source of modulation (since, in a rack like this, Maths is gonna be tied up doing envelope things and attenuation).

2. What’s fun for some is not fun for others – this is a question only you can answer, and starting with one or two modules and slowly expanding (using what you’ve learned to make informed decisions) will help ensure your rack stays fun. I spent a year slowly building out my skiff and made many decisions along the way that weren’t quite right for me.

3. Rainmaker in a skiff doesn’t make the most sense, unless the entire skiff were built in support of rainmaker (to do this, maybe drop down to 0 sound sources and just feed it externally with your small arsenal of semi-modulars). Alternatively, drop Rainmaker in favor of more modulation sources and signal routing. These utilities seem dull but are really where eurorack shines.

3 Likes

• an output module.
  • attenuverters/sum e.g. triatt, shades, or 321
  • maybe a random random / noise source

rainmaker is so chunky, why not leave it out and let other serendipity modules take its place? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

agreed with both above tips, especially the recommendations for a random source (Wogglebug, Ultra Random Analog, etc). Pamela’s New Workout is a good, dense modulation source, but with less immediate control than something like a Batumi or Stages.

I think the biggest question is: what do you want this rack to do? as mentioned, Rainmaker could be totally excessive, or could a the whole point of the rack, depending on your perspective.

2 Likes

This is so useful and it makes a lot of sense! Thank you very much!

0 Likes

This is how is looking now: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/805079

0 Likes

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-richter-wogglebug-2014 10hp, or maybe even https://www.modulargrid.net/e/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-mk-ii-black ?

1 Like

Looks like a fun setup. The disting can do many things, sample playback or even a 2nd VCO. Good balance between utilities/modulation/sound sources now that you dropped the rainmaker.

1 Like

This looks like a super fun system all on its own, Plaits can do such a wide range of sounds under modulation, which expanded by Clouds is definitely enough to keep one busy sound designing forever, not to mention all the outboard sound sources. I would say that as a substitute for Rainmaker, Clouds can definitely do delay but I eventually found myself aching for a dedicated delay module. You’ve also got a couple clocked delay modes in Disting, so that may scratch that itch. I would also maybe save 2HP on a passive multiple by getting some stackables and passive splitters like monomults/knucklebones.

1 Like

+1 for active/buffered multiple vs passive - can use stackable cables etc. instead

0 Likes

I’ve learned to avoid using stackables for pitch: it’s too easy to brush against them and mess up the pitch of your oscillators. A buffered mult is the best insurance against this…

1 Like

Instruo Ts-L Noise Issue

My Ts-L just arrived today, and it sounds amazing, except that when the frequency gets very low, the noise floor rises and I can hear the oscillator seemingly filtering the noise. Once the frequency goes into the hearing range, the noise dissolves. I’m wondering if this is normal behavior with this module because I find it quite noisy.

I have written to Instruo, but if someone here already some some ideas, would be great to hear from you.

0 Likes

I don’t have any experience with Ts-L specifically, but I’d be a bit surprised if it’s an inherently noisy module. Noise issues in Eurorack can often be laid at the feet of the power supply or power distribution. Some modules tend to throw noise back into the power bus and then it can seem like the problem is with a different module, etc.

If you can put the Ts-L “closer” to the power supply in terms of cabling/busboard, it might help. Minimize daisy-chaining as much as possible. That’s the first thing I’d try.

Switching from flying bus cables to busboards can help, and making sure the case is well grounded. Or you might have to consider a different power supply.

0 Likes

Thank for the reply, I’m on a TPS 30 with a grounded power supply, haven’t encountered any noise issues so far, even with a Grid getting powered from the system.

I checked all the outs from the Ts-L, and it seems very noisy in the square sub out, the Sine is also quite noisy, its where I can hear the sine cycling and affecting the noise as it cycles. The fold out and pwm out is also somewhat noisy, its like the noise floor is very high.

Strangely, the triangle out is quiet.

0 Likes

Hmm. Hopefully Instruo will have some insight then :confused:

0 Likes

I have to say I have never noticed this with my Ts-L so it may be a faulty unit? Saying that, I have never been actively looking for it so perhaps I’ve just never noticed, hard to know without hearing how pronounced the noise is. When I’m back at my modular (hopefully tonight) I’ll have a listen and get back to you!

1 Like