Eurorack: ask questions here

I think Maths would be cool for this (or Rampage + attenuators). You could play around with Rampage in VCV to see if you are inspired by the dual slope generator style of module (this serge module is where the design of these types of modules is inspired by).

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith uses a Tempi to trigger sequences of a lot of different voices and make some very cool things happen timing-wise. Could be a cool option too.

1 Like

As far as small and versatile multimode filters are concerned, the Bastl Cinnamon is great. Works well as a sine oscillator too, and has enough input gain to overdrive signals, plus two “character” switches that mess up sounds in a good way.

3 Likes

Yes. Cinnamon sounds great and it’s quite affordable and small. It’s my favourite filter but I like overdriven sound. LP, HP and BP are simultaneously available, which is also nice. Definitely worth checking out.

1 Like

this is probably the best place to put this:

i’ve been thinking about sequencers a lot lately. i have an SQ-1, and i want something that is rackable, has more channel options, is easier to program, has more. at first i was thinking about the prizma, voltage block, rene, etc but then i started thinking about… the teletype.

this place is great because there is SO MUCH information on and support for teletype, but i’m having a hard time finding an answer to this question: why should i choose teletype? is it too complicated? is it overkill? how hard is it to make it musical? i know that it would interact well with the other stuff i have based on what i’ve read here. i don’t have too much coding experience but i spend a lot of time in big databases so i kinda know how code syntax works. anyway i’m leaning toward trying to find one secondhand but i wanted to talk it out with some other people who use or have used it.

It’s surprisingly musical, the tracker mode makes it really much like a “normal” sequencer if you choose to use it like that.

It’s not really much coding, maximum length for a script is six lines and quite simple things make for musical outcomes.

I was pleasantly surprised by how simple Teletype is to use. It was a major concern for me also.

3 Likes

My go to minimal teletype sequencer:

Put a trigger to in 1 and make the script of 1: CV 1 N PN.NEXT 0

You can then update the values and length within tracker mode to get a chromatic sequence based on whatever root note you tuned your oscillator to.

2 Likes
Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

What you said. I also have this clever cheat-sheet for a blues scale :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That isn’t a blues scale. If C is your root, a blues would be C - Eb - F - Gb - G - Bb - C

I’m somewhat new to modular… I have a White Whale and Meadow Physics… I’m wondering how many ADSRs / EGs everyone uses w/ these? It seems like the more the better… I have 4 already and it seems barely enough.

What are some typical module chains you use?

Cheers

Perhaps this would be better asked in the New To Eurorack thread?

https://llllllll.co/t/new-to-eurorack-ask-questions-here

It really depends on the rest of the modules and what kind of sounds you’re looking for. A traditional monosynth voice uses two, but one can easily use more. Consider some loopable ARs to complement full EGs, like Maths, Quadra, or Tides.

Just saw that make noise are making a video series of Allen Strange’s Electronic Music. Looks good so far.

8 Likes

Hah, I literally just made a patch like that 5 minutes before I saw this. Made a nice stutter tremolo patch along with it.

1 Like

This might be a silly question. I’ve been learning to use the Make Noise Rene through a Behringer D, clocked with a Tempi and using an Optomix as a low-pass gate.I’m starting to get the hang of the Rene, but I find myself feeling limited in what I want to do, which is compose, and wanting to get another sequencer. Does it make sense to get a second sequencer? And would that mean I’ll need to get a mixer to balance the two? Thank you!

I use the Rene and IME Stillson Hammer MKII. They are an amazing pair! However, Rene is an extraordinary deep module. I suggest spending as much time as possible with it to learn its tricks before you get anything else. Make sure to check out James Ciglers videos if you haven’t yet.

can you unpack this a bit more? How does René hinder you in this regard? (This is an open question, but sequencers turn out to be hugely personal and not everybody wants the same things out of them).

The short answer is to have contrapuntal voices. The Rene is great! I love it. It’s extremely flexible and I love how responsive it is.

Thank you! I’ve watched James Cigler’s videos on Rene many times each, and yes, I’m definitely still learning. You’re 100% right–the Rene is really flexible and responsive. But (as I said below) it doesn’t have the ability to program multiple voices at the same time.

Actually it does. You can get independent sequences out of the Quantised CV and Unquantised CV with a little effort.

Possibly not quite what you are looking for and has serious limitations but it’s possible to use the quantised output of Rene for stored voltages and have the un-quantised for the knobs (with an external quantiser).

Edit: @GoneCaving beat me to it.

1 Like