Eurorack: ask questions here

Sounds like you may have moved on from Rene and Tempi, which I am about to get into (I already have Rene, I’m completing a Shared System Plus). Did you replace them, or add to them, or what?

Thanks!

I went the grid + ansible route. I’m especially interested in phasing and polyrhythms, so Kria and Meadowphysics were of much interest to me. There are things about Rene I miss (sold it, couldnt afford to hang onto it and not use it), but a number of factors made grid + ansible more advantageous in my situation (i.e. hp constraints, live performance abilities, and someone I’m collaborating with also uses grid + ansible).

Thanks, very helpful. I’m also going to be ordering a Grid and Ansible, but planning to hang onto the Rene and Tempi…

I’m interested to figure this one out, too. Can you be more specific with what your intended use would be? LIke, chopping up an LFO, or a manual voltage output from an offset?

One thought is you could rig up something with Frames and a S&H, placing frames wherever you want to establish a zone and triggering the S&H with the frame step output.

The XAOC Drezno is an interesting option for processing CV, something I’ve been considering.

Serge Random Source NCOM might also be of interest in generating stairstep voltages.

Have you checked with Bastl already? I’ve heard they are very nice to deal with.

In theory, if I understand your requirements, you could do this with a custom scale in Quartermain on an O_C. Set each step of the scale to the CV you want to ouput and then remap incoming CV to those like you would a normal quantizer.

http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3/#anchor-quantermain

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I don’t have a specific use-case in mind, but I’ve occasionally found it nice to be able to grab a knob and notch between values. It’s a nice alternative to smooth attenuation. Some digital modules do this inherently for settings. A utility that does this seems useful. :man_shrugging: I was thinking I just didn’t know what to look for, but it looks like this isn’t a named thing!

A very big knob that could do this at programmed intervals (among other things) would be MI Frames.

As @Jonny mentioned, this sounds like Xaoc Drezno http://xaocdevices.com/main/drezno/

I am going off of the descriptions and videos so may be getting details wrong, but, as described, it converts analog signals to digital for manipulation and then back to the analog domain. One operation is bit crushing/down sampling (someone who knows better, correct term?), which I most often think of as That Sound That Bit Crushers Make, but which could just add easily apply to CV

So, you could feed it a sine, downshift it to 5-bit, and output it to get 32 discrete steps in roughly the shape of a sine.

Has anyone Drezno? I’m not even sure what to call it, in terms of category

Yeah, anything that does bitcrushing (and not sample rate reduction) will do that, but only with powers of 2.

My understanding was more like a module that has a knob (or CV in) to control the number of divisions, and then incoming CVs from the main input get quantized based on that number. So if you want 7 divisions you’ll have 7 different output values. If you choose 15, you’ll have 15.

That’s probably trivial to add for an existing module for which code can be written (hence my mention of Ornaments and Crime, especially the new dual alternative firmware for it) but I have no idea if that’s easy in the analog domain.

Right would be limited to powers of 2 but would do it roughly out of the box. Most other options would involve some amount of config/programming, whether o_C, Salt maybe, or, Norns when Crow comes, or, well, Teletype :slight_smile: which @grey, you said you’ve used for this. This kind of semi arbitrary thing seems right in Teletype’s wheelhouse.

Yep. It absolutely will do that! :relaxed: I was mostly curious what alternatives were out there. @oscillateur is speaking to what I was trying to get at. The math is dead simple division in the digital realm, which is why I’m somehat suprised there isn’t a simple utility module for this, even if niche in use. I’d imagine there’s an analog equivalent.

Time to prototype! 20

I am, but I’ve never used it like that. From the manual though:

So I guess you would patch across those bit outputs to the same bit inputs. I wonder if you could choose the number of steps easily though…

I have an SV-1 it good but it’s also limiting me. I feel I don’t use some features and the filter doesn’t do enough for me.

What should I get to replace it?

It’s got two oscillators, filter, mixer, adsr, vca, midi, lfo, sub Oscillator, Noise, and a sample and hold.

I use the main oscillator and mix wave forms. The second oscillator is useful.

I use the filter but it does have enough control. There is no cv for res.

I don’t use the midi or the noise and sub oscillators, nor the sample and hold. While these are useful I just get less mileage.

The adsr and vca are pretty barebones. They work, and I use them, I’d like more options.

Give me your thoughts and recommendations.

The A-118 in my 104hp Doepfer system is showing its limitations in terms of what I’m patching, and the A-149 isn’t my flavour of random. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ADDAC501 Complex Random? Seems pretty ideal, but for the price I want to be sure!

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac500-series/addac501-complex-random

If you’re in the market for a filter (and everything else you mentioned!), I would take a look at this thread started the other day. Really helped me open up my patching with Sisters.

Sounds like you’re looking for more of a west coast approach rather than the east coast approach the SV-1 takes.

Perhaps check out some Mannequins or Make Noise options?

Why not keep the SV-1? I’m looking at a photo of it now and that seems like quite a lot of functionality for the price. I’ve heard it has a very sweet sound.

Get a Maths and an Optomix (or LxD). That’ll extend your SV-1 in all sorts of neat directions.