Eurorack: ask questions here

As my rack becomes more focused on physical modeling, I want to add a polarizing mixer dedicated to my delay feedback lines. Specifically, one that lets me do some creative things with those feedback lines to shape the tones in more interesting ways. Wondering if anybody here has experimented with similar stuff and has any recommendations.

I have 3 main options at the moment: Triatt, Klavis Mixwitch, and SSF Blender.

Triatt is super simple, not much to do with it on its own but paired with some switches and mults throughout my system it should give me something interesting. What appeals most about it is the ability to switch channels from negative, bipolar, and positive behavior so I can have very specific manual control over it.

Mixwitch, I think, would be most fun. Paired with a mult, I could sequence through different amounts and polarities of feedback which could be really cool.

Blender won’t flip polarity so I’d need to pair it with a 2hp inverter or something, but I know there could be some really cool sounds in there, crossfading between various signals with smoother behavior than the Mixwitch.

I can’t really try all three though, so if anyone has thoughts or experiences on what each of these modules bring to the table please share!

at first glance, I don’t think Grids will do much good unless you also add some things for it to trigger. I suppose you could trigger Elements/Morphagene/Clouds/Maths envelopes with it, but if you want to focus on getting drums (I mean that term loosely, as many things can act as “drums” in modular) in there you might need to add some thing to serve as such or else you’ll have more triggers/sequencing than voices, especially with Ansible & Rene added in. it seems like maybe it’d be good to focus on having the modular serve a specific purpose to start (such as acting as a synth voice or for processing) and then expand from there. there’s a risk of getting a bunch of super deep modules at once and then you have $3k invested and can only kinda-sorta do anything with it since you may lack supporting modules like VCAs, modulation, mixing, etc.

I’d personally consider starting with Ansible or Rene/Maths/Elements or Maths/Morphagene something like that to get a feel for them, and then go from there so it can complement what you already can do with Maschine. things like Bitbox don’t appeal a lot to me as they seem to focus on doing things that I’d probably rather do with a computer, but everyone has their own preferences.

Without having direct experience with it, the Rossum Assiml8or looks most like what I would want out of a sampler in eurorack. It’s 8 channel, lots of modulation input. Expensive though. I always think an Expert Sleepers Disting is a good choice for people entering eurorack because it offers many functions in a small package, which lets you play with different modules effectively. Mk3 and 4 both do sample playback I believe. You could also get one or two or three Radio Musics, which can be had cheaply and can function as one hit sampler players, albeit somewhat awkward ones. Is it important to you to sample at the time or are you willing/able to work with devices only oriented towards playback?

Just Friends only does AD/AHD envelopes, and really only one set of linked ones. If you’re strictly looking for an envelope generator there are probably better options, especially for ADSR. However, JF does many other things. I wouldn’t discourage you away from it unless you’re really set on ADSR or more than one independent envelope.

Do you intend to sequence tracks with this, or is it more a sonic laboratory/sounds production setup to bring material into your current sampler-oriented workflow?

Regarding feedback patch mixing: To further complicate your decision making (that’s why we’re here right? :wink: ) I’ll throw in another suggestion— Bastl ABC + mutable kinks. ABC in “stereo” mode where you have three inputs with adjustable levels on the left normalled to the right, then put one of these mixes through Kinks inverter for a crude but tweakable approximation of what you were discussing (or invert 1 signal on the way in, etc). Plus of course you have the bonus other fun stuff from kinks waiting for ya.

I wouldn’t want to go with that particular combo since the 5hp of ABC would throw my row into a funk. Curious to know what kind of effects you can get from rectifying the feedback loop with Kinks though.

I find my Befaco A*B+C to be handy in feedback patches. Really vanilla on the surface but a bunch of possible uses that can give wild results.

just for accuracy, Just Friends CAN approximate ADSR with one of its run modes.

That said, I thought I would care a lot more about ADSR when I started building my rack and I’ve never really missed it.

@smbols idle curiosity: what do you use for your delay lines?

For sure about the 5hp thing. Regarding rectifying: that is a good question worth exploring! Haha. What Kinks will also do is basic inversion (that a bunch of other modules will do too, as you know), my idea being one mix of sources that is non-inverted and a separate mix of these sources with an inverted mix out to switch between (with a somewhat minimal amount of cabling, if that means anything)

that module has caught my eye several times. I love how basic and open the design is. I had forgotten about it but that could be a really cool option. Have you tried using it to ring modulate a feedback path at all? That’s something I haven’t tried doing yet–I’ll need to experiment with it some time this weekend!

@alanza: Currently a Reflex Liveloop which you can do some awesome stuff with as a Karplus Strong delay. The onboard bit-mangling produces all sorts of crazy effects and can lock on to various harmonics–very cool when you sequence it in tandem with the pitch. I just got a Mungo d0 as well, but I haven’t installed it in the case yet and it’ll be a while before I’m able to get ahold of a Zoom module for it and really get into the super-short-delay goodness.

It’s some version of the bouncy ball patch using two cycling envelopes, the rise of the first modulating the decay of the second. The end-of-cycle of the second then triggers a third envelope for controlling the amplitude of an audio source. Apply modulation to the first envelope and attenuate everything to taste.

truer words are rarely posted

I don’t miss having a dedicated ADSR envelope, though I do love me some Make Noise Contour (ADSD). And I do sometimes use Stages for ADSR, though more often it’s multiple D or AD envelopes and some LFOs.

A little. It’s more amplitude modulation than ring modulation but at audio rates it sounds really tasty. I haven’t explored it too much yet, but even for mixing a couple of signals and adding/subtracting/multiplying it’s great. Easy build too if you’re into DIY.

one thing eurorack has taught me, after almost 20 years of ADSR, is that it’s not really necessary

and stages is usually an AD, a D and whatever else i need but i still mount Peaks for envs i can trigger manually

This is why I’m eschewing a dedicated envelope generator for a Disting (actually 4) and a XAOC Zadar for exquisite modulations.

Anyone using Akemie’s Taiko? I’m wondering if it’s possible to create subtle, more nuanced percussion… as well as vibraphone, or marimba-like tonal sounds. Demos often show its boisterous and identifiable/overbearing (idiosyncratic) characteristics. It seems like a great module for making understated melodic sounds, and possibly (?) subtle percussion. Anybody using this module, care to share any thoughts?

Also, is there potential for a variety of modulation/influence, or does it always have a sort of identifiable character?

https://www.sssrlabs.com/store/sm010_kit/

I really want to build this. But I just can’t really think of a use for it. The idea of the thing is really intriguing. The concept and mechanic is really cool. I feel like I don’t have enough equipment to make this practical to own. A few more VCAs would be more useful!

I’d like to use it as both, creating sounds/using it as a voice and having the option to sequence those voices

I woud love to sample real time. The Assiml8or looks dope, but is very expensive. Maybe an option would be just getting the out of the rack into something like a sp404 or a sampler.

But maybe I’ll just keep my sampling workflow & get use the modules in the rack and figure out how to best do it afterwards.

very interesting

tbh, just started looking into it, wasn’t planning on buying it right away

That is very interesting. It seems to be a passive matrix mixer though (unlike the WMD 4x4 matrix).

If you stick to 1-to-1 mappings is it still able to map CV to VCOs and stay in tune?