Eurorack: ask questions here

Just got the Rene v2 and its so fun and not menu dive-y at all!

Very performance / experimentation ready and provides 3 v/oct & 3 Gate CV outputs

I’ve never enjoyed a eurorack sequencer before this one.

I use a guitar amp stand like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS4000--on-stage-stands-rs4000-folding-amp-stand-small-100lbs-max

sounds like you need a multi-channel audio interface. If I were considering one, I’d probably choose the Keith McMillan K-Mix

I was thinking about it but it looks a little complicated to me. Not that that’s a bad thing but I feel like I’d get frustrated with it.

I do this. I currently have a Komplete Audio 6, which has four analogue ins, and a couple of the Roland AIRA fx I picked up cheap and also act as audio ins. This works fine.

However, I am currently debating with my GAS around getting a MOTU 828es, which looks very appealing, and has some native fx on the way in.

The K-Mix looks good too, I guess for my needs I don’t really need an outboard mixer, the functionality looks a bit menu-y, and if I want to control levels live, I can simply do it in the modular itself. But I’ve definitely thought long and hard about that one too.

Hmmm, my GAS is leaning me towards the ES-8 especially as it would allow me to only have my eurorack and laptop to record as well as the 8 individual audio tracks and even CV between the two.

Does anyone have any experience with this module. Is it worth the ~$500 it’s listed at? :thinking:

At the risk of being pilloried, I acquired secondhand a Tascam 16x08 from a friend who had tracked with it for years. Getting 16 ins and 8 outs for 300 dollars is a pretty screaming deal. It’s not going to blow anybody away with fidelity but I find it absolutely adequate when I need to track a lot of stuff at once. If I need that one stereo, super pristine signal, I use an apollo twin. But I really like my Tascam for what it is.

Actually the more videos I watch the more I think this would be a good choice. How easy is it to quantise to a scale?

Very easy! You simply use CV-input on either X or Y and go to the final channel (quantization) and setup the scale you want (and octaves 1-4 or deactivated)

Ah yeah, I’m actually doing the same with an old Tascam 16 track but hate running wires from my eurorack 3.5mm ins to the quarter inches on the board since the connections (especially with a adapter) are kinda finicky.

Ok just recently began running 1.2 A in a case (the make noise case) with a 1.4 A capacity. Cold Mac seemed like it wasn’t working correctly, wasn’t getting any type of output from it. Made sure cold Mac was plugged and was plugged in the right way. Unplugged Rene (biggest power needs in case), still no output. Could Cold Mac have become fried by there being too much power in the case? Every other module seems to be working ok. Any ideas? Would hate to have a fried Mac :frowning:

Assuming a decent power supply (like your Make Noise bus), you can’t easily fry modules by overloading your power supply. Most often you will experience a small voltage sag as you load past the rated current draw. Look at the derating curves for the regulators and you will see this behavior explained as a thermal effect (more current, more heat). I am personally drawing 1.6A @ +12V and 900mA @ -12V from the same case with minimal issues.

Lower supply voltages can make modules act funny. Analog modules (like Cold Mac) might have bad pitch fluctuations. Digital modules will sometimes fail to boot up, or will behave inconsistently.

Unfortunately it sounds like your Cold Mac is busted. I’d recommend trying it in a different case before sending it in for repair. Triple check your polarity! And I’d recommend getting a cheap multimeter to check whether your power supply is working well.

Thanks for the advice! Really good to know that this case won’t just kill modules. Was planning on testing in another case. Had it outside of the case for a little while for a few days while I reconsidered my configuration but it didn’t experience any falls or jostles or anything.

hi! :wave:

Newly joined, after having lurked here for a while. I tend to avoid signing up for forums because when I do, I have a bad habit for posting walls of text like this :sweat_smile:

I’m seeking some feedback on these ideas — also trying to make this a useful post for any wayfarers who might pass this post with similar ideas/interests. The links aren’t special, but hoping to share some thought process too.

:information_source: Are you a newcomer too? If so here are some really useful resources! LearningModular.com, Patch & Tweak book, “Why to Modular” video series, this post I had open in a tab about pros/cons of exploring modular… and of course muffwiggler.com, starting with the sticky posts in the Eurorack forum… Of course there’s many more resources, those have just been some of the quickest-clarifying ones for me.)

my current rack ideas

I don’t own any of these modules yet! I thought I should think of a possible final vision and then work backwards from there to find an entry point.

Complete idea: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/781106

Reducing it… https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/776187

Reducing further… https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/781913

I know suspect it’s sort of an atypical rack (omits some “essentials”), but I think it will have a lot of potential when integrated with my existing setup. So I like this direction, but I’m new to this and I’m sure I’m missing details. But tell me!

• Anything obviously Wrong :question:
  • Are there any obvious suggestions/substitutions that would achieve similar intentions, but more effectively or creatively :question:

context/intention

The beating heart of my setup is currently {Elektron Analog 4, Digitakt}, sometimes together with Ableton. The Digitakt is fed by a mixer[1] (or sometimes Patchulator)… such that various instruments and sample sources can easily go to it without interrupting my flow for too long. Or from the hardware to software and back, etc.

[1] That mixer is a SoundCraft 12MTK and I love it by the way. Did not know I could love a mixer so much.

I extended that Elektron setup with a 0-Coast and I’ve loved it. Now, I want to add the Make Noise Morphagene, and make it part of the resampling multiplex. I started by brainstorming 54hp (that other thread is great BTW)… but I am pretty sure I will end up at 104hp so I’d rather grab a case with room to grow and just fill with cardboard blanks in the meantime.

I’m very curious to explore hardware modular more, but I don’t think it’ll displace the Elektrons as the “organizing principle” of my setup. A guiding question has been… SinceI don’t need it to be a workhorse, it doesn’t need as many general utilities. So what possibilities does that open up?

thoughts on how I’d use this rack

The rack is light on synthesis/ synth voices, intentionally.

It is meant to have basic fun synth possibilities, together with the 0-Coast. But the focus is on the Morphagene. (I enjoy the 0-coast’s sound and when I’ve heard it integrated into racks. I also enjoy the sound of rich synth voices and textures from pretty big rigs, but there’s a big expensive gap between those two things, seemingly… So for now I’d rather stick with external synths for richer synth voices, 0-coast + a bit more in the rack for gritty and weird sounds. That way I have more room for resampling/sound-sculpting possibilities in the short term.)

I’d expect to use it in two main flows to start …

• One flow is to focus on the external audio, into Morphagene (and the other modules like Maths might just be modulating)
  • Other flow is to make synth sounds from the 0-coast together with the modular bits (then again feeding into Morphagene).

I’ll play with both directions in isolation or a while… Get to know them.

Then I’ll end up combining it all of course.

mixing audio when needed: missing 3U module? 1U Quadratt? out to external mixer and back?

I have an external mixer for general use and all the “external audio” (A4 etc) is coming from there. I’m curious, though, about mixing that external audio w/ the modular’s synth voice(s), before it goes into the Morphagene. I really want to be able to do that, since I typically sequence the 0-Coast with the Analog4… So they’ll often be tempo-synced and complementary, good food for Morphagene :japanese_ogre:

At first I had a small (Stereo) Mixer 3U module in there but I wanted to clear it out for non-utilities…

I was initially thinking that when I use multiple sources, I could rely on 1U in/out and mix modularsynth audio with my external audio, then back in, to Morphagene. (Possibly directly from line-in to Morphagene? Since it has autoleveling… but that might not bea great idea). Just want to avoid taking up 3U space with a mixer…

:tipping_hand_woman: Actually, typing this out made me curious again, and I just learned that the IntelliJel Quadratt 1U can be used as an audio mixer (source). I was already going to include it for its CV utility functions, so that’s perfect. That should hold me over for “mix audio before going into Morphagene” duties, at first… (Then if I have a more complex patch where Quadratt is needed for CV duties, and I need mixing at same time, I will just fall back to that external mixer approach.)

Anybody have experience to confirm/deny the Quadratt’s usefulness as an audio mixer :question:

misc notes

I don’t think I’ll need more than one buffered mult, will mostly use hubs/splitters and stackable cables. (A relevant LearningModular.com post for other beginners.)

I also recognize I may not have enough VCAs, since You Can Never Have Enough VCAs. But… I am thinking between the 0-Coast, Maths, and LxD, I have some VCA options. Yes it’ll be a quirky and constrained set of options, but I lean towards that (prefer West Coast approach I suppose).

Plus, thinking “hybrid” path might fill some gaps here for some patches. Doubleplus, I’m thinking if I needed a bunch more basic utilities (aside from getting those with hybrid/VCVRack after getting ES-8) … then I would consider another semimodular, as a way to get a relatively cheap bundle of generic utilities but also a fun standalone unit at the same time.

eventually: hybrid

Of course a big part of the appeal is to do more in a tactile way, and get away from screens some. (Dayjob has me staring at screens all day.) So hybrid with the computer isn’t my first interest.

I think I’ll enjoy using Disting’s many functions right off the bat for the short term … Then eventually add that ES-8, to use with VCVRack. (Good illustrative video of this approach, BTW.) Those will extend the rack to many more possibilities, I’m sure! Without buying a ton more hardware modules :crossed_fingers:

sorry/thanks!

If you read any of this, thank you! Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully the bits of useful stuff for other newcomers can excuse it.

104 hp inspiration

I skimmed your post. Buy a Maths and the Morphagene and see how you feel. Maybe the LxD or Optomix if you want to chop up the output from Morphagene.

As someone who has done a lot of this kind of planning - my modular grid is a nightmare of iteration, I’d say you’re overthinking things. It’s fun to think about, but the most important thing to understand is that you only have a cursory idea of how these things might work in your practice. Get to know those two and see what else you want. They’re both great modules, and if you stick with modular you’ll likely keep them. It will also take you a while to get comfortable with them. So pick those up when you can safely afford them with a case. Don’t be afraid to start with a smaller case. You can buy a bigger one later and flip the old one or keep the small one for storage/experimentation.

Love this response, it helps a lot. Appreciate it!!

And indeed I tend to overthink things. Fun sometimes and ridiculous other times. Such is the ADD brain :upside_down_face: (not saying that figuratively, my brain is one of those)

Not that weird. Reminds me of the System Concrète from Make Noise. If anything, I’d just start with only Morphagene, Maths, and Wogglebug. Those should pair nicely with your other stuff.

Quick question. I think I read an explanation of “voltage jump” when patching into the V/8 input on analog oscillators somewhere (particularly in the case of Mangrove) as being related to an imprecise definition of “0 volts” emerging from somewhere in the system…? True?

I also think I read that patching through a buffered multiple should eliminate this voltage jump behaviour. I’m patching via Beast’s Chalkboard (buffered multiple and precision adder) and it’s not helping.

It’s a bit of a hassle as I often need to re-patch oscillators when I decide to mult the sequence or involve a Shifty or some other thing. I have to stop, confirm the oscillators came back up to the right pitch, then continue.

Can anything be done?

have you tried always leaving the cable plugged into Mangrove when repatching?