Eurorack: ask questions here

Hello all! I’m very new to this community and I’m contemplating dipping my toes into the modular world.

I’ve lately been really enjoying creating music with cassette tape loops, ambient/drone stuff. Here’s an example of what I’ve been working on lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDNz2y2PsBc 3. I recently have come into a bit of money, (but not a ton, I still have bills to pay), and I thought it would be nice to invest in my music a bit. After considering some other options, I’m starting to think it might be time to go modular. I’ve wanted to for a long time.

Now, I’m not super educated about synthesis or how the complexities of modular work, but I do have a 0-Coast and I’ve had some fun with it in the past. I’m mainly interested in starting out with a focus on sound manipulation, i.e. taking field recordings or music and processing it, so I’m not really interested in investing in VCOs or the like early on.

I kind of have my eye on the Qu-Bit Nebulae as a starting point. I’ve compared it to the Morphogene and in general it seems more intuitive and nicer to my ears.

Another thing I’ve thought about is the Clouds, of course. However, it seems like it really comes to life with some LFOs or random signals feeding into it, so going with Clouds might be more expensive starting out. Am I incorrect in my assumption?

But I’d love some feedback. Do you think these are good modules to compliment a tape-based sound? Are there other modules you would recommend higher, or are there others you would add? Do I need a mixer module to manage the line out?

FYI I’m thinking of starting out with the smallest available Doepfer case, the A-100 LC1. Instruments I own include a Bastl Microgranny, a few Tascam 4-tracks, a Yamaha PSS-270 and a Yamaha TG-33. I mention this because I wonder if the Microgranny is giving me things the Nebulae would also give me, causing redundancy.

Sorry to be so lengthy. Look forward to hearing your feedback!

You can do a lot with what you’ve got there! I’d start with that and see where things take you.

RE: PNW vs. Woggle — PNW does so much! It can do random, but it’s a little less immediate than the wogglebug (more menus and single knob twistin’). You’ll probably have to figure out what makes sense for you over time. I think I have like 2 modules in my skiff that I started with… (Morphagene and PNW).

I recently bought the 2hp MIDI module to send my clock from Ableton to Ansible. I just can’t seem to get my Mac to recognize the MIDI device, even when diving into the Audio MIDI Setup app.

Does anyone have experience with the 2hp MIDI module? Or should I try to get a refund while I still can and try a different approach? I don’t (think I) need a MIDI host module if I want to use Ableton for the job, but I’m open to all input if I can’t get the 2hp solution to work.

possibly try a different cable? weirdly when I owned a BeatStep Pro I found at least one of my cables wouldn’t allow my computer to recognize it

So it looks like I’ve found the issue.

The way the module is built, when you screw it into the rails the usb connector doesn’t quite align.

If you unscrew it, you can make the connection lock because the aluminum has some bend still.

My 2 day headache comes to an end :slight_smile:

The solution

I think people often compare the Nebulae and the Morphagene because of overlapping granular sampling duties; however, I think the Nebulae is much much more than that. It’s a veritable Swiss Army Knife in the modular world imho. The mk1 was one of my first modules because I could use it for things I didn’t own yet–a sampler, quad osc, comb filters, etc. The mk2 is beautifully designed and can be surprisingly deep–one shot sampler, echo, etc. and having a module built on csound & puredata can open a world of possibilities.

There are some drawbacks that I’m hopeful will be rectified in the coming months, such as being able to write onto the usb drive, which I believe the morphagene can already do. In terms of sampling from the buffer in real time, the nebulae works pretty well in this regard. it sounds like this is what you’re going for. let me know if this helps or you have other questions.

Does anyone here use an Optomix?

I just got one last week, and although it sounds warm and organic, there is an annoying high-frequency bleed from the input signal while the gate is fully closed and Damp is fully CCW.

It’s not clear to me if this is expected or not - after googling a bit, I see most people talking about the gate failing to close completely on the low end, and this seems like a different issue?

Has anyone else run into this?

What sound source do you use to test this, and does it happen on both channels ?
I can test on mine when I have some time but I never noticed any bleed, though whether this is audible or not may depend on the patch…

Happy to test as well, what are the conditions?

My Optomix closes completely.

@oscillateur @eblomquist - nothing patched to DAMP or CTRL, both knobs fully CCW -
most prominent with a noisy, aggressive oscillator like Manis Iteritas, but noticeable with a bright Mangrove sound also, especially on headphones. I’d expect to be able to reproduce this with any rich timbre. Especially noticeable if the input is playing a pitched sequence.

(for sanity’s sake, I did confirm that if no input is patched, there is no bleed - so I can rule out crosstalk)

I have not compared the two channels A/B, that’s a great idea - I’ll do that and see if I can make a recording.

That’s a lovely track (Zone 3) - not sure what I was expecting, but I really dig the rate of movement (the slow progression), the large dynamic (amplitude) range, and the variety of contrasting yet complimentary textures. The tone, or atmosphere of it, is well-immersive and affecting. Edit: admittedly, I listened to it on my phone (no headphones), but I was compelled to stick with it for the duration. There are sounds occurring during the latter third of it that I couldn’t discern whether or not it was coming from outside, or from music playing quietly in the other room… again, well-immersive, nicely mixed, etc.

Regarding Mangrove vs. tELHARMONIC, I don’t know much about either module, but it seems that the DPO could (?) achieve some of the more obvious qualities of Mangrove, like the lower-register, filtered, near-formant-like growl of “Zone 3”–it’s similar to what I’ve heard of the Mangrove in some videos. It seems like the DPO should be able to cover a broad variety of terrain, compared to Mangrove.

With tELHARMONIC, it seems you could achieve more glassy, bold/clean sorts of sustained voices, with really nice animation effects (the tonic control in particular) w/Centroid etc. - and the polyphony, however useful that could be, interval-wise. There are a few demos of the forthcoming XAOC Odessa module, which remind me of the tELHARMONIC, though it sounds terrifically capable of those brilliant, glassy / laser-like / cutting chords (of varying harmonicity), and more fragmented / percussive / mangled chop. It’s also quite large, at more than 20hp (not certain)

Not sure if you’ve made any decisions, but have you considered Mannequins Just Friends? It’s pretty fantastic, sonically, as well as for a modulation source.

Btw, if you got yours recently it might be the new version, I have one of the “old” ones, there are a few differences between them though I think they’re more related to normalizations and how the CV inputs work rather than audio path.

This is going to be a tangent but I’m curious:

Is your Optomix “clicky”? Like, when you use the strike input, or a Maths envelope with a sharp attack into the Control input, is there often a high frequency transient at the beginning of the sound when feeding an oscillator through?

There is with mine, often. I know it may be more about synching my oscillators rather than something in the Optomix itself, I just read somewhere that v1 and v2 “sounded different” so I thought I’d ask :wink:

Hi - I had one, mine was clicky, and I took it back. I got the FSS POCA (passive LPG) instead. The FSS one has a distinctly longer decay in my opinion and somehow a bit duller, but you get 4 LPGs / Vactrol VCAs for about half the price.

I tried lots of things with the Optomix - different voltages of triggers, syncing the oscillator to the master clock for zero crossings, etc. The only thing that worked was using envelopes with slower attacks into the cv input rather than a trigger into the strike, but for me that kind of defeated the purpose of the unit.

I’ve heard others get the Optomix working beautifully though, so this could just be some form of user error or inconsistencies in the batches of Vactrols.

Oh - one side note which may not be 100% correct, but makes sense to me. Using a clock to sync the zero crossing point of the oscillator sounds great in theory, but I’ve never got this to work. I read somewhere - and this makes sense to me - that if there is any offset at all in the audio signal chain - i.e. the crossing isn’t precisely zero - then this won’t solve the problem.

I still get this with normal exp VCAs, envelopes and less complex waveforms. Will be looking at the WMD DVCA to resolve at some point.

Thank you for the detailed answer. Yes I really like what the Mangrove does, maybe in the future it will replace the DPO, combined with something else. That would also free up some space. Didn’t hear about the Odessa, looks/sounds great, but also big. My smallish case already has a DPO and a Maths, not sure I can justify the space, though I really like Xoac. It seems it might not be available until August 2019 (unconfirmed).

I did look at Just Friends, I wasn’t inspired, though I know it gets lots of respect, especially here! Will have a look at some more demos, I guess thats the issue with not being able to try things out, I used to live in Berlin :sob: I am also a bit confused by JF, as in what is it’s main function, and I get that its multipurpose. I am looking for a dedicated oscillator. Also thinking of getting a MI Stages.

Also, thanks for the support, glad you like the record, much appreciated. Beyond Torneo Vol. III will be released on 1st December, so check back on my Bandcamp then.

Thank you for your response! I think I’ll try to swap the vactrols and see if that will reduce the clicking…

Was yours a v1 or v2?

No problem. It was the V2.

I don’t know what to call this function, so I haven’t had any luck searching it out.

Is there a module that has several inputs and one output, where when each input receives a signal, the output sends a different, constant voltage? So, say a gate enters input 1 and the module outputs 1v, a gate enters input 2 and the module outputs 2v, etc.