Eurorack: ask questions here

Teletype :slightly_smiling_face:

Seriously speaking I don’t know of such a module but it sounds interesting. The teletype would do this but it may be more expensive and big than what you had in mind.

Are the signals going anywhere else? Maybe this suggestion is oversimplifying, but is there a reason this couldn’t be achieved with attenuators (to bring the gates down to the desired voltage) and a unity mixer?

Yes, that would certainly work. But I was hoping there would be something that does this without being picky about input signal, so it could be activated by a gate, a trigger, audio, or anything other than 0v. It would take a whole network of attenuators, mixers, S&H’s, and comparators to achieve what I’m hoping to do, which is basically use triggers and/or audio filtered through parallel bandpass filters to select different slices on a Reflex Liveloop sampler.

this would just seem to be a sequencer/programmer with stage select? e.g. verbos: https://postmodular.co.uk/modules/sequence-selector/

elby:
http://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/euro-serge/es23-sequence-programmer/es23.htm

If you want that functionality for a preset selection of pitch voltages, check out Rebel
Technology Tonic.

Verbos Sequence Selector, or Sputnik 5-Step Sequencer, or Synthwerks PGM4x4. Or Teletype. Or Stages and write entirely new firmware for it… :grin:

I do feel like there’s a small hole in the market for a relatively compact “random-access sequencer” or whatever you want to call it. It’s a little surprising there isn’t already a Doepfer module that does this.

Maybe the Hemisphere Suite developer can whip something up. I’ll write a suggestion. :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about it before, since I have a CV.OCD with a ridiculous 12 gate outputs to its 4 CVs. My solution was to use a matrix mixer to turn my gates into CVs. Since then I’ve done a lot less MIDI sequencing though, and I’m more likely to generate gates in the combo of Marbles+Teletype.

The verbos module looks like what I was thinking of. At least the stage selection part. Thanks for pointing that out!

@desolationjones That module looks very cool! I like the concept. Would be awesome to control that with an analog to binary converter like Vert.

I have two Optomixes. One is amazing (channel 1 is great, channel 2 is not bad) and the second is pretty good, but not as good as my first optomix. I heard that some Optomixes can be terrible and some can be great. It all has to do with the vactrols. When testing, they will have a “range” of what is acceptable for release, but there will be variation from one Optomix to another.

One thing I like about it all is that my rack has it’s very own character/sound that is almost unreproducible even if others used the same make of modules.

I’m new to modular and wonder if someone can help me with the following questions I have…Thanks!

At this point, I’m using only an ipad to make my music. I link apps together in AUM or AudioBus, trigger virtual instruments with sequencers, arpeggiators and such, and manipulate audio as well. I also play the virtual instruments with external midi, keyboard, or whatever. I’m looking to get into modular more heavily in the future and eventually build something that has capability as a stand alone instrument. But for now, I’m confused about what modules are absolutely necessary to get sound out of it and manipulate it on a very basic level, and what is optional stuff that adds dimension and more possibilities that I can add slowly over time. Right now I just want the modules necessary to:

1. Have it make basic, moderately adjustable sound and be able to add it as a hardware input in AUM so it can receive midi and trigger with my apps, etc. on the ipad in the same way I do now with software synths.

2. The ability to record it on the ipad via AUM.

3. The ability to play it with a midi device, like a keyboard, etc.

4. The ability to run audio samples, percussive beats, etc through it ( I’m thinking here in terms of the feature where you can plug a guitar or run an audio sample through it like you can on an MS-20, for example, and get it to track the rhythm or manipulate the audio and record your mangling :).

I can wait on #3 and #4 if it requires a huge investment, but I would like to know what I would need to do it down the road.

The overall sound is not as important to me at this stage cause I know I can add modules to shape that in my own way later and have a lot of fun with that process. Right now I just want it to work and do those couple of things I mentioned above. I know I need at least one VCO, but after that it gets fuzzy because a lot of modules seem to have multiple functions and so I don’t want to get more than I need yet. I like the sound of the Mannequin stuff, and I know that Mangrove is a VCO - but everything else they make I have no idea because their descriptions are trying to be cute or whatever but they make no sense to a newbie trying to figure out what the module actually is and does.

Anyway, long riff here but if anyone can sort me out I greatly appreciate it!

What kinds of sounds excite you? How much experience do you have with hardware synths?

You could also start with something like the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 or Make Noise 0-Coast to start having fun with hardware and patching. Both have midi in if you want to sequence with your iPad.

I would also maybe try the VCV Rack sofware to help you understand what different modules do before you dive in and buy things.

Modular is endless and there are many opinions, so it’s hard to say what you should do exactly. Knobs (on youtube) has a charming series of videos about ‘going modular’.

I had time to test this and my Optomix (V1) also does this on both channels. Only pretty high frequencies do bleed, and I honestly never noticed that in a patch but it might be obvious for people doing different things though.

Thanks @oscillateur, I appreciate it. I tend to get a bit obsessive about little things like this.

When I first noticed it, I was thinking hard about sending it back to the shop, but the more time I spend patching the Optomix, it does feel like something I can work with and incorporate into a patch; not sure how limiting it’ll feel in the long-run, but we’ll see.

like @Jonny mentioned starting with a standalone modular hardware synth might be a good introduction for you as they come in a complete package of everything you need to get started (MIDI, VCO, envelope, VCF, VCA, etc). I started with the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 and it helped me start making noise (pun kinda intended) immediately. The Moog Mother 32 has a built in sequencer, plus everything else you need, so that is also an option. The Make Noise 0-Coast is also a great option, but that is more a “west coast” philosophy [I know, I know, it’s a mix between both additive and subtractive synthesis, but I think it leans west more than it leans east] and might be a bit more of a learning curve. The 0-coast also cannot be placed in a rack without modification (why did make noise design it this way??) so keep that in mind too.

I also suggest VCV rack software to start and to understand the basics in a cheap and flexible way. From there you can get some ideas of what different modules do, their depth, and figure out what sounds you are drawn towards.

Modular is soooo incredibly open ended that you can make an insane amount of different sounds with it so having an idea of what sounds you want to make goes a long way in choosing modules before you spend an insane amount of money on hardware.

Also keep in mind that part of the fun of modular is researching, watching hours (days) of demo videos on youtube, reading the manuals of modules you’re curious about before you buy them, and building your modular grid rack and “planning” your modular adventure. There are always new modules coming out and one of my favorite things is discovering that one module that is relatively unknown/unique that does exactly what I’m looking for and adding it to my rack. Then people say “wow! what is that module?!?” and I gleefully explain how amazing it is and where/how I found it :slight_smile:

I started with an MS-20 Mini (well, started makes it sound like I was intending to get into modular but in fact I wasn’t really aware of it at the time), and I found that REALLY helpful in terms of visualizing what the various signals were doing and how that corresponded to varying sounds. Since it was semi-modular, I could make plenty of cool noises without having to know about what a VCA was, and then take advantage of new knowledge as I acquired it.

Also, if you have a setup that works for you, be warned that adding complicated hardware like a modular will slow you down A LOT at first. in my case, each time I made a significant change it took me a month or more to relearn what I was doing.

While i can see the benefit of stand alone… if you’re convinced you want to go down the modular rabbit hole i would recommend constructing a rack from all Doepfer. It’s likely the cheapest way into euro, esp if you go second-hand - many modules are sub €100. Quality is excellent and although you may find other manufactures doing fancier things (or doing the same things but in a smaller footprint) starting your journey with doepfer is a brilliant way-in (or for many, a brilliant end goal). All the building blocks are covered with tonnes of module options.

The hard piece of your question to me is finding something that will both output MIDI or triggers/gates/modulation and also do audio input. Not impossible at all; in a way it’s helpful, because that limits your options a lot, which will help you make choices.

In terms of sending MIDI out from your iPad to modular, you can get a MIDI to CV module, of which there are many. I’ve been eyeing the Hexinverter Mutant Brain as a flexible option for percussion sequencing myself, but really there are many options here.

With this path, you also need to have an iPad interface that handles audio input and MIDI. I am not sure how many there are of these that are iPad compatible but certainly there must be some. Others may be able to chime in here.

The other way to do control would be to send your trigger and pitch information out as DC-coupled signals. This requires an ‘audio’ interface that is DC-coupled, of which there are not that many. The ES-8 from Expert Sleepers is the go-to option here, though there may be others. It is not cheap, but it offers 8 channels of signal out and 4 channels of signal in. These can be audio or CV. There are a number of videos showing Audulus controlling or being controlled by modular via an ES-8, and presumably this would work with other iPad software also. This would take care of your in-out problem without the need for two pieces of hardware.

In terms of a voice, your minimum ‘requirements’ are a VCO, a VCA or low-pass gate to control the loudness of the oscillator, and some sort of envelope to control the VCA/LPG and give shape to the sound. I put requirements in quotes because you can make sound without the VCA & envelope. But if you’re starting with making ‘notes’ that have duration and attack/decay shape, that is what you’d need.

The Mangrove is actually not a bad starting choice, because it has volume control built into it, saving you a module. That said, you could have a simple oscillator and VCA or LPG for less than the cost of a Mangrove.

If you go the ES-8 route (or other CV out of your iPad), you can generate your envelopes from your iPad and have your trigger from the iPad timed with it. However, I would actually recommend that you invest in a Make Noise Maths if you’re starting out. Maths will take care of your envelope needs and still do much else besides. It is a bit daunting looking, but actually in the end very simple, very flexible. It can do many things with its component parts, and is very ‘modular’ in spirit, if modular is the idea of combining simple building blocks in ways of your choosing to create complex behaviors. Maths really is all that. It’s also very well documented on YouTube and such, so you’ll have a lot of tutorials to get you going.

Semi-modulars are nice because they’ll give you all these things in one package: oscillator, VCA/LPG, envelopes, MIDI. I would give consideration to starting with one.

Good luck! Ask more questions :slight_smile:

If you choose to go the DC-coupled interface route, here is a list of interfaces that can do this: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

This compatibility is not limited to the Silent Way software, AFAIK.

Rebel Technology Tonic seems to be pretty close to what you have in mind?

https://www.rebeltech.org/product/tonic/

I’ve got a Tempi, which I like a lot, but it feels weird to hold on to it for some reason? I pretty much use it as a 6 channel clock divider with tap tempo for the main tempo, which is A use for it, but it feels a little overkill for the purpose (and I’m not considering a Réne v2). I’d welcome some opinions on the myriad of clock divider options out there!

Integra solum gets a tonne of use in my rack because of its immediacy. Even though it sits next to and is driven by pams new workout.