Eurorack: ask questions here

That’s kind of how I’ve been using mine too, however I’ve only had it for a few weeks! I think the secret is in using the Mod function, as well as changing state via gate/CV to create complex, rotating patterns. Also being able to mute each output is a rad function for performance.

Been looking for a clocking solution a few months back and after a long research phase, I eventually ended up with a fairly down-to-earth Doepfer A-160-2 Clock Divider II and an Intellijel OR Gate Combiner (external clock source/LFO needed).

So far, this is catering all my needs and I don’t miss anything.
I’m into that basic suff, I guess. :smiley:

People using Pamela’s NEW Workout (any feedback is appreciated) -

When you save a pattern, do you need to execute the ‘Save’ action for every involved output/track, or does any save action (on any output) save all the settings for all the outputs? The manual implies the latter, but it’s not entirely clear.

PNW is great, but using a single knob/press for every function feels really detached (for making rhythms/patterns) and unituitive. I suppose it’s the price you pay for deep functionality in a small footprint.

Damned, I have a Mutable grids but this Integra seems to be super nice !

Pamela is a top module and it’s auto-saving on it’s own. And it’s intuitive for me who tend to avoid menu diving !

you can save each track individually, as you’ve discovered, but there is a top-level save which is accessed within “long press at bpm display” menu.

Thanks @Jonny I think the sv1 might be a good option for all the reasons you stated and can be part of a larger setup later so it’s definitely on my list of possibilities. The Knobs series was great!

Thanks @crushthered - the sv1 does seem like a great option, I’m definitely considering it - but at the same time I kinda like the idea of building something custom like you mentioned - I’m a bit torn and will continue to research. If went the latter route I could only afford 3, maybe 4 modules at first, so I need to choose wisely - definitely gonna check out vcv rack today

Thanks @alanza - I looked at the ms20 but it seemed geared towards really bassy club stuff which I love as a listener but not really the kind of stuff I want to make, I like making airy ambient kind of stuff. Could have just been the demos though - I’m sure a lot of that is what you do with it, what do you think?

Thanks @Ravel - I’m looking at all the doepfner modules for sure and I think you’re right - particularly since it seems the functions of some of the modules are pretty straightforward there’s no reason to pay more than necessary for modules designed to do basic things, at least from what I can tell so far.

The MS-20 can definitely do sweet as well as sour. For example, everything on this track, including the noise washes and percussion, was made on the MS-20 and then lightly edited and collected in Ableton, and I wasn’t even overtly going for airy.

That said, let me be clear—I’m not trying to get you to buy an MS-20; I’m sharing how I learned how to think of synthesis in terms of interacting signals.

Thanks @xenus_dad - the es-8 is a wonderful suggestion and sounds like it’ll do exactly what I would need to incorporate my iPad, but I’m starting to wonder if that’s the best thing to do. My initial thought was that since I’m just starting out and could only afford to begin with a few modules (VCO,VCA,EG) that having my iPad compatible would give me more creative options with them and compensate for not having a lot of the modules designed to do some of the more specialized things like sequencing, etc. While that may still be true - I wonder now if it might just confuse me. I have a lot to learn and feel like I might be better off spending that es-8 money on a better initial setup and learn this thing well as a solo instrument before I incorporate outside functions - anyway I can always do it later. No sense having like one mangrove and es-8 when I could get a mangrove, or any other good vco, and possibly a few other modules for the same money. The more I read about and understand eurorack the more I think I like the idea and philosophy of just focusing on this as a solo instrument and getting to know mine inside and out and explore all I can do with it. I’m in a $ position to start with three and definitely no more than four. Although I know I won’t be able to do everything I want with so few I imagine there’s probably a lot to explore with just a vco,vca, and eg, for example. I’d love any suggestions for a good three module start leaning in a softer, ambient direction, but only in terms of functionality, I know it’s very subjective and taste driven of course - I just don’t want to mistakenly get redundant modules or ones that don’t make sense together. I plan on taking a look at vcv rack later today too which should help quite a bit…Thanks again!

You mention a ‘softer’ and ‘airier’ sound that you’re looking for. It might help to describe this further. To me it calls to mind string modeling like Rings, Elements, or Plaits, all of which you can try on VCV rack (at least I know Rings and Elements are available). A monosynth like you’ve been describing might be too ‘heavy’ of a sound.

VCV rack is a great idea for learning how things work for free. You can pay for certain plugins, and I certainly encourage you to support people if you like, but it is not necessary.

I think your assessment is right, integrating the iPad might be a tall order. I don’t think it would be complicated to get a simple audio interface for the iPad however, so you could have your modular as a standalone instrument but still record and/or process the sounds you’re making.

My first recommendations would be Plaits and Maths. That gets you a ton of functionality in two modules. I might recommend a Disting as a third, since it’s basically an anything-box, which is really helpful at the beginning (and possibly later on too!).

Yeah, you can try Plaits on VCV Rack, and the Befaco Rampage is also available there for free, and is a function generator that is similar to Maths.

If you have a midi controller with knobs, you can map those to controls in VCV rack and effectively get the hands-on aspect of modular right away.

I have a question! Have any of you ever found a buffered mult to be necessary? I exclusively use Stackcables for multing, and am curious if you’ve ever found a need for more than passive multing.

Do you care about sequencing? That’s actually a consideration at the beginning, if you want ‘notes’ that are specifically pitched or not.

I only have a small skiff, but I’ve actually had good luck using a stackcable to mult (gasp) pitch CV! That said, I’m hardly pushing it: usually a max of just two Mannequins modules, and if I lose a few cents as I go up a bajillion octaves, I haven’t paid enough attention to know.

Thanks :slight_smile: This occurred to me while looking over Richard Devine’s live rig on Modulargrid (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/39699). He has a number of mults distributed throughout his rack. This surprised me initially because I use Stackcables, but thinking about it, Stackcables have a FILO problem (first in last out), where if you want to repatch and the cable you want to repatch is plugged in under others, you have to disrupt the whole stack to get at the cable you want to change. It’s not an enormous problem, but in a live context it could be a consideration.

Yes this was my concern as well with a lot of the semi modular synths, like ms20 and especially the moogs, man I love that sound but it’s just not where I want to go, although @alanza had a wonderful example of the flexibility of any setup in the right hands. You’re right, the modules you mentioned are kind of what I’m after - Lightbath, as a reference point, is a good example of the direction I want to pursue https://youtu.be/FMyYi0BCCFk

In fact, I’m considering this setup as a start, certainly not to directly emulate as I definitely want to do my own thing, but because it’s the only example I’ve seen of a very small collection of modules that I know are complimentary to one another and in a style I like - so possibly a good jumping off point - although I’m sure my results will vary :grin:. One of the difficulties in choosing modules is that most examples you see of their use are in conjunction with 15 others so it’s hard to tell what could be done if you only had 2 or three of the 15. Anyway, I think VCV will help with that, gonna check it out for sure before deciding on anything - Thanks!