Eurorack: ask questions here

Oh I do yes, very much - it’s a big part of the way I’m working currently, I’m definitely gonna want them, but I’d be willing to add those later if need be, in order to start with the vco, vca, eg that I’d need and get comfortable with those even if I can’t do much. But that may be related to my ignorance - my understanding was that specialized modules like rings, or maths, or clouds, or whatever had to be integrated with/fed from VCO, VCA, which in my case means I would need those first and therefore would have only them initially, but then again it’s confusing because so many are multifunction - but you couldnt have a case with just rings, maths, and disting, for example, right? Am I correct that you’d need at least a vco in that situation? I’m learning more all the time but still a little perplexed by the minimum requirements of a very small setup of just a few modules, say three, and what I’d have to have vs what I’d have to add to it later - It is not common to see examples of a set up of less than 8 or so. This is the smallest setup I’ve seen so far and is encouraging :slightly_smiling_face: https://youtu.be/FMyYi0BCCFk
I’m gonna look those modules up to find out what they are function-wise to give me a better idea of what can be paired together in a small group like that in a way that works…anything I get will be about that size for awhile - 3 to 4

It’s worth noting in that Lightbath video that he is sequencing the whole thing from an external sequencer (Squarp Pyramid), so he’s not really making all that music with those four modules. It’s also heavily reverbed. It’s lovely! But it’s not just those 4 that you see there.

If you are leaning towards Mutable and wanting pitched sequencing, I might change my recommendation to Plaits, Marbles, and Tides (v1 or v2). That gets you a VCO that in theory needs no envelope or VCA, pitch sequencing, and a modulation source that can also be an oscillator, so you have two VCOs in theory, which goes well with the pitch sequencing Marbles offers. It also allows you to use Tides as your VCO and take advantage of the noisier side of Plaits when you want to.

These are just my thoughts though!

(Actually, I just sold Plaits and Marbles, and the idea of Plaits & Marbles & Tides in a small case is really appealing. Hmm!)

Yeah I think you’re right. I experimented with my old Yamaha YPP-200 yesterday and was able to record in to iPad with old m audio interface and was even able to get iPad sequencer app to play it via midi in/out and camera connection kit- if I can do it with that should be able to do it with anything almost :slightly_smiling_face:

true, but on the other hand: if you didn’t already plug a modulation (or other) source into a mult and decide that you want to send it to multiple destinations, you have to unplug, put a mult in the path, and then repatch. that was a very common occurrence for me before I started using stackcables.

Responding to your original post: I never noticed the need until I actually folded and picked up a buffered mult. Since then, I’ve noticed a discernable improvement in stability.

I keep my mult outside of the box, however.

https://www.hungryrobotmodular.com/buffered-multiples-x4

I don’t use buffered mults. From my CV.OCD I seem to be able to passively mult to 2 or 3 inputs with no trouble, and I’ve never noticed a problem multing pitch from Teletype or Marbles (but I’ve probably done that less). It does get weird if I mult even once from the Microbrute pitch CV out though.

it is helpful to keep in mind that, at least according to my understanding, buffered mults are quite simple circuits (often just a few jacks and an op-amp circuit at unity gain), which just serves to help distribute a given signal without loading down the source. many well-known Eurorack manufacturers build output buffers into all their designs so that most of the time you don’t really need buffered mults.

that said, there is no explicit standard, so this isn’t always true. the Microbrute must lack such a buffer, for example.

Microbrute is known for weird interface issues

Yeah, even the gate output is weird with it. I do love the sound though, and it takes audio rate modulation nicely.

Thanks for the Integra Solum suggestion. The “wack” mode seems stellar.

Newb question: is it possible to have a bus board problem where only some of the ports are not working right?

I am setting up for the first time, and most of the ports are working and modules are working as expected; but plugging same working module into one of these 3 bad ports, the -12V LED turns off, and things stop working.

I unplug from that port then all 3 bus board LEDs, +12V, -12V are lit again and modules work.

BTW I’m being very careful about the -12V to -12V connection from module to bus board, and lining the pins up right on the bus board. (And as mentioned things are working consistently when I connect most ports. Have repeated plug/unplug several times to confirm the issue.)

I’m guessing this means bus board is defective. It’s an Intellijel 7U case that came with the power/ bus board, so I’m guessing I’ll need to return the whole case on warranty.

——

UPDATE: took it over to Control Voltage (in person; where I had purchased from) and they were helpful in troubleshooting, reproducing the problem, and coordinating warranty fix. Left <30mins later with a working case on warranty. Great service… Love that shop!!!

If the bus board is defective I think it’s impossible to guess which issue / safety there is. I’d stop using it and contact Intellijel.

Unlikely to have a single port bad as those headers are typically wired in parallel. If there was something shorting out that rail then it should not work even without a module attached. It’s much more likely to be an issue with the module or the cable. Remember to check the orientation of the red stripe at both the module and the power supply, as even keyed headers are not fully reliable.

Which module is it?

@electret thanks yeah I reached out to them but also wanted to have this out here in the open in case it helps other newbs. (Was surprisingly hard to find other reports of same issue.)

@desolationjones That was my intuition too, how could it be individual ports, right? Answer to “which module” — it’s reproducible with 4 modules I’ve tried (Maths, MMG, Intellijel Quad VCA, Intellijel Headphones 1U), and all 4 work in any other port besides these 3 bad ones. So weird.

It’s possible that the power supply is split into zones with separate supplies for each zone. So it could be a bad regulator on one of those zones. You should definitely talk with Intellijel at this point.

Super beginner question here. Im wanting to add a rings to my skiff (Morphagene, Pams, Maths, Erbe Verb) and I am wondering what would be a good quantizer/sequencer that wouldn’t take up too much space? Or, would I just need a quantizer which I could send a sequence to via Pams, and then into the 1v/oct on rings? Im having a hard time wrapping my head around sequencer vs quantizer. Thanks!

Hey, I was in the same boat as you. Still a beginner but here is my take.

Quantizer is best used (IMO) with random CV or a LFO and then attenuate it for range.

For example, Change PAM’s WAVE from a GATE to RANDOM. Since its a sample and hold, it will play a steady CV per beat. You then feed it through a quantizer so it will actually play in tune/scale. Now you can change the LEVEL in PAM’s settings so it doesn’t jump to high and low.

You can also feed an LFO and attenuate it through a Quantizer for the same effect, but more arpeggiated.

The weird thing about modular sequencers is that many are not quantized by themselves. So you do in a sense have to feed it through a quantizer. which i find redundant. I like using a quantizer for weirder signals, rather than ‘tuning’ a sequencer.

My suggestion would be to get something like an “Ornament & Crime” module. It fit my bill, and its a really good way to start sequencing multiple modules in your kit.

Sorry if none of it made any sense. :disappointed_relieved:

No that makes sense, so the o_c wouldn’t be redundant w/Pam’s?

@TonyIdaho already explained things a bit, but I had typed this up so another explanation might help folks:

A quantizer takes an input voltage (say an LFO from Pam’s) and optionally a gate/trigger/clock (could also be from Pam’s) and forces the input voltage to match a chosen pitch scale. The optional clock signal typically directs the quantizer to do the pitch sampling/output at a specific time or rate, similar to a sample & hold but for pitches. Quantizers typically do not generate their own voltages.

A sequencer creates voltages and is controlled by all sorts of different means. Sometimes they include quantizers (a la Rene), sometimes not, and sometimes they are inherently “quantized” (such as a sequencer built into a keyboard like a Keystep). Sequencers can often be internally or externally clocked. Some are more suited to pitches than others. Sequencers are generating their own voltages.