Eurorack: ask questions here

Great! Looking forward!

@sellanraa also has one I believe

@theelectricyouth Okay just tested a full frequency sweep of all five outputs on both speakers and headphones. I didn’t hear any kind of noise at any point, sounds like your best bet is getting in touch with Jason at Instruo and seeing if he can sort it for you. I’ve spoken with him about warranties etc before and he sounded very accommodating and happy to help should it be needed.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted and can enjoy the module!

Thanks for checking. Weird because he replied to my email today telling me it is normal the noise that I was hearing as the freq was designed to go very very low, and when in the super low ranges, its normal to hear these noises.

Here is a link to the sound file I uploaded for him to check, I might be wrong, but I remember this being from the Sine out - https://we.tl/t-sygrawgbQU

Do you have the same sort of noise when using very very low frequency settings?

Hmmm that is strange - the sound file definitely has more noise than on mine. I do hear the clicks of the low frequency waves, but not the noise between clicks. Could it be that the noise is being amplified somewhere in your recording path? When I was testing it was Ts-L into ALM headphone output into headphones/speaker - not a lot of chance for noise to creep in. If Jason heard that clip and was sure that it is normal, it’s almost weirder that mine doesn’t have it!

MI Clouds tips. I hear lots of great stuff done with Clouds. When I use Clouds I’m always underwhelmed, what am I doing wrong? What’s the secret to getting interesting sounds from Clouds?

It always sounds like bad delay/echo. I’d get better sounds using a standard delay!

My one Clouds tip - don’t use the built-in reverb.

Freeze melodic content, then play the buffer with a sequencer like it’s own voice. I use it for atmospheric backdrops, while also modulating position for timbrel variety. Always seems to sound mindblowing!

It needs modulation. Shoot random into position, at least. That’s what makes it a granular cloud instead of a granular freight train.

Also, bonus - experiment with the FFT mode :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips. I just spent three hours playing with clouds, and…

Reading the manual :roll_eyes:. Reading the manual is essential. It’s all starting to make sense. It didn’t help that my clouds had the parasites firmware installed, had to read that manual also.

:laughing: super agree

Think I figured out the problem. I’m running out of power, that’s when it gets noisy. No solution for that except removing some modules :pensive:

Does anyone have opinions on getting an oscilloscope for eurorack? I’m new and still trying to figure out what everything is doing, and it seems like an O’Tool + would help, but they are expensive.

If you have a DAW, run an oscilloscope VST there to see what it’s like?

O’Tool+ is really worth the cost and panel space IMHO. It’s helped me learn many modules quickly, troubleshoot problems with more advanced patches, enable monitoring of feedback loops and control signals to help me tame them, etc.

I used to have a cheap pocket oscilloscope but it was noisy and not terribly accurate, the battery didn’t hold a charge very long between sessions and it was so fiddly to work with I was disinclined to use it as much as I use O’Tool.

Software oscilloscopes can be somewhat useful, but unless you have DC-coupled inputs on your DAW it’s not going to give you the whole story, nor a good reading of the actual voltage levels in your modular.

Good point concerning DC coupling :+1:

Thanks. I’m considering an Expert Sleepers ES-8 to connect to my laptop and using VCV Rack to monitor things, but that seems to lack some immediacy.

There’s this one, which is cheaper than the o’tool https://vpme.de/zeroscope/

There’s supposedly an intellijel 1u version of this coming soon. Related link: https://forum.intellijel.com/t/1u-modules-wishlist/81/273

O’Tool is probably your best option but depending on where you are in the world you might consider poking around for an old analog oscilloscope. They’re big and heavy and sometimes noisy and kick out some heat but they’re a lot of fun. Not the best for viewing slow modulations (you’re seeing the trace move up and down slowly in real time) and forget about using it for tuning or precision measurements but great for watching audio waveforms as you twiddle around. I have the vpme zeroscope and it’s really nice for a portable case though the small screen is a little limiting for viewing complex waveforms. If you diy this an especially economic option.