Eurorack: ask questions here

I’m obviously missing something, but what’s the difference between a quantiser and a precision adder? Seems like they perform very similar functions? Cheers

Here is my understanding:

Quantizer

CV -> Defined Scale -> Quantized CV
e.g. 1.1V -> Octave Scale -> 1V

Precision Adder

CV1 -> Precision Adder IN 1 —> CV3
CV2 -> Precision Adder IN 2 -/
e.g. 1.1V + -0.1V -> 1.0V

For my purposes, I use a precision adder to offset a second VCO at a specific interval apart from a base VCO pitch instead of using 2 quantizers. The precision part is more important for pitch cv than anything.

@adrianf is correct.

Another way of describing it is that a quantizer rounds an incoming voltage to the nearest voltage within a given scale or set of specific voltages.

A precision adder adds a precise offset to an incoming voltage and is often used for pitch CV since it is more precise than a standard offset, but it doesn’t inherently “care” if the output voltage fits any specific scale.

Here is a slightly more detailed discussion of quantizers (as compared to sequencers in that case).

Quantizers ‘round’ CV to the nearest 1v/oct. So if you feed it a LFO or Random source, you can lock it to a a musical scale to your choosing.

A Precision Adder doesn’t confine your CV to 1v/oct. It just adds usually 1 or 2 volts exactly. This is handy becuase some VCOs and Keyboard/MIDI controller ranges are different.

For Example, Mutable Instruments ranges are usually -3 to 7 v/oct. But some keyboards are 0 to 10 v/oct range. It is handy to put your pitch CV through a Precision Adder to adjust it so its closer to the range of your VCO.

Also, its handy if you want something an OCTIVE lower just by a swtich.

Thanks so much everybody. This place is ace !

If you are looking for a precision adder—and even if you’re not—I recommend Beast’s Chalkboard.

If there is pitch CV in my system, it goes through Beast’s first. It’s an extra step at first, but I always thank myself later.

http://busycircuits.com/alm002/

I don’t have one, but i can see how it can be very useful as it functions as a 3-in-1 (x 2): Buff Mult / Offset (albeit with no external and set number of voltages) / Precision Adder.

Precision adders usually if not only work with CV only. When I got the Beast’s Chalkboard, I was thinking you could add a sub voice to by plugging in a VCO to it and then turning it down 1 or 2 oct to get a sub voice. This is not the case. You basically have to have 2 VCOs to get that to happen since it only off sets CV.

While I think its a great module for 6hp, I found that working with O_C and Monome modules kind of got rid of the use for it since I can off set in those modules.

Here is something I just picked up which I think is amazing though. A great module that gets you some sub voices with your vco even though its only Square-ish waves. its fattttt. :smiley:

For external effects like guitar pedals and Bastl Thyme, do people find it better to patch those directly into the eurorack using something like the Befaco Hexpander, or is it better to connect them to separate inputs on one’s audio interface and use them as send effects within the DAW? I’m multitrack recording up to 16 eurorack channels into Ableton, but I’m worried it will get complicated to use an external effect except at the end of the chain and it would be easier in general to keep it in the rack I/O.

I generally prefer to patch effects directly, rather than going into the interface, over Firewire, through the DAW routing, back over Firewire, out of the interface, through a pedal, back into the interface, etc. with the extra latency and conversion that adds.

(In fact, sometimes I will patch oscillator -> pedal -> VCA, so it’s not even end-of-chain. Particularly with Geiger Counter, which makes a nice waveshaper.)

But my process might be different from yours. Rather than multitracking or recording dry channels, I set up everything and do a “live recording” to a stereo file only.

What are you using in the rack to interface with external effects?

ALM S.B.G for one pedal chain. A 2hp Trim to attenuate the input for two others, and a Gozinta to boost levels back to Euro if necessary.

It’s not ideal. The S.B.G works fine, but I’d prefer a somewhat different layout if I were designing my own. (The pedal connections tend to be semi-permanent and I’d prefer them all on top, and then the Euro I/O, and then the knobs.) The Trim really isn’t the best attenuator for the job but it does work. I don’t often need the Gozinta with my current setup – one of my pedal chains has stereo output going direct to my audio interface, and another pedal’s output is hot enough to not need a boost anyway – but Gozinta is otherwise useful (for piezo mics, overdriving signals to extremes, etc.)

I might go for a Malekko SND/RTN or Addac 200PI as I shuffle things this year, to replace that Trim. I’ll probably keep the S.B.G though.

Wondering if someone with teletype experience can tell me if this 60hp teletype mannequins system is sufficient or am I really losing out on not having a clock source. I’m planning on putting this all in a 4ms pod 60 so there aren’t too many other modules that I have that will work with the depth limitations. I could swap something out for PNW.

personally I’ve never clocked teletype externally. the script ops and metro are plenty capable for self clocking. looks like a fun skiff. only concern would be attenuating the output signal, but maybe you have that covered externally.

You don’t need a clock source.

You don’t have an output module, so you require other equipment for listening if you want this to be standalone. If this is ancillary to another system or an external mixer, you’ll be fine.

You don’t have any attenuation/offset either, which might become frustrating. A VCA could also be a good idea, depending on the sounds you want to do.

The expanders for Teletype are also very much worth considering, depending on your goals with Teletype.

Cold Mac can do attenuation, offset, and VCA. Mangrove’s AIR can serve as a VCA for that module too. It depends on whether or not you need those functions and if Cold Mac gets tangled up trying to do more than one thing (which can be fun though!:open_mouth:). I’ve been working with a similar small system (84 hp) and enjoy limitation – I have to choose what role Cold Mac will take on in my patch. Really is the glue that holds it together for me at least.

But yeah, as the others are saying, you don’t exactly need a clock source if you trigger from the metro script. You can also trigger scripts manually using the F keys on the Teletype keyboard.

Here’s my system for reference. I have a Meng Qi DLPG which I use as a VCA, pinged LPG, or put a fixed voltage from walk/teletype through it and ping it for short envelopes into Mangrove. If I need a mixer, I’ll just use my Mackie.

I have a similar setup in 84hp which consists of all mannequins and teletype plus PNW. Depends on what you wanna do, I think it is good enough for experimenting sounds, also agree external clock is not a must on TT.

The most wanted things I missed in my system are mixer, attenuators and VCAs. Yes, CM can do the jobs but it cannot do all at once. I would recommend you the Intellijel 4U case, so that you can have above mentioned utilities on the 1U row.

Also think of expanding space, it would be good to leave 20hp or something for the future grow.

I’m wondering if anyone is using Bluetooth to get audio into their Eurorack. I believe that ADDAC make a module for this.

What has your experience been?

I use my iOS devices a lot and was thinking this could be a nice way to integrate them…

Thanks!

I use the ADDAC one with my iPhone to play music I then sample and mangle, audio quality is fine but the range is quite low, I’d estimate it only works reliably up to maybe 6-8 feet away from the module.

X1L3 is working on a bluetooth module i believe, not sure when out https://x1l3.bigcartel.com/

I have notions of getting something like this to kludge into a module :slight_smile: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKMOON-Wireless-Bluetooth-Decoder-Control/dp/B01FXLGZD6/ but cheaper from china