Eurorack: ask questions here

Seems like the IJ 84hp 4U case would be a perfect vehicle for a Teletype/Mannequins setup, I’ve been toying with that idea myself.

I’ve only had Teletype for a couple days so I’m far from competent in using it, so it’s been helpful to have PNW for easy external clocking with some additional modulation as a bonus. Maybe one day I’d be brave enough to throw in Cold Mac in lieu of Tangle Quartet but having a set of simple VCAs is very appealing for me, especially with two Mangroves.

Bear in mind that the 4U 84hp Intellijel case is no longer produced! Sort of a bummer, seems like a good size to me, too.

Yeah that is a bummer, I had my eye on a used one that sold right after I decided I wanted it.

Love the size but you could always go 104hp with blank panels on the sides/future room for expansion!

I’m thankful to have grabbed a 42 and 84 4U before they were out of production. A little Grau 6U would be nice to have. The biggest issues with the Intellijel cases are no lids/lack of portability. I found a cool soft lunch ‘box’ for the 42, but the 84 is the thing I’m more likely to take out and use. The 42 is just sort of a storage case for some extras that haven’t sold or I’m not going to sell.

If you want compact and are willing to pay for shipping, the Grau seems great. Or just keep your eye out for used Intellijel. I grabbed my 84 on tour. Just went over to a random dude’s house that posted on a FB group about it. Saved some bucks since he didn’t have to deal with shipping too :slight_smile:

So I love Grids with all my heart, but the patterns it produces are very focused on patterns that make the most sense for percussion. Does anyone know of a module that generates triggers that more closely emulate melodic patterns? Micro Edit: Or alternatively, means of massaging extant triggers into more naturalistic melodic patterns.

I’ve found that a tool that filters rhythmic patterns is highly productive for producing useful melodic gating. The best one I know of is Noise Engineering’s Integra Funkitus. You can derive up to four new gate streams from one or more gate/trigger streams, and it has some interesting modes. An advantage to this approach is that it also keeps your melodic gating in close (but not too close) relationship to your percussion. Brilliant module. Equally useful for percussion purposes. Just mult one or more of your trigger streams from Grids into the I.F. and watch it go. Adjust pots to taste.

2 options: pre- or post-processing Grids. @mduodoroff mentioned a post processing solution.

Some “Pre-Processing” solutions:

• multiplying the clock going into Grids
  • modulating X and Y on a per beat basis, or unsynced to the clock
  • flip flopping FILL between max and an intermediate value

For a little more info, I’m currently using Grids, Plog, and Integra Solum to generate all of my gates. I’m still experimenting with combining gates with the probibalistic gates from IS’s “Wack” mode.

Already on my to-buy list! But I was planning to use it to mix between different rhythm sources, I was intending to use Ansible so I can program generate/sequences when I want to. I will definitely experiment once I get my hands on one. :+1:

Those are good thoughts! Trouble is I still need my Grids to do what it’s doing already. I could get a second Grids I guess? I’ll give this suggestion a swing and see how the results sound. Thank you!

You are perhaps conflating the Integra Funkitus with the Confundo Funkitus, another great module, but a very different one. (The confusion is common.)

Yep. Sorry! :sweat_smile: Their naming schemes throw me sometimes. My bad.

Might be worth trying as a more dynamic alternative to Plog, though I do like Plog.

just to add to your question - anyone use soundmachines radiostar - https://www.sound-machines.it/product/rc1radiostar/ - looks very nice - quite big and expensive?

Have you ever taken a look at the intellijel Shifty? it will do both cv and gates and create interesting melodic patterns based on one input and then direction. I believe you can also use it to create chord stacks and sequential switching.

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/shifty/

I have Shifty and it’s very cool. However, it doesn’t generate patterns as such, it merely takes a pulse as an indicator to a) sample the pitch CV in, b) send that pitch (and a copy of the clock pulse) to one of its outputs based on a kind of sequential switch, usually the outputs in order but in other configurations as well.

I have tried the following with varying success:

• Feeding Shifty some stream of gates that isn’t strictly a clock (e.g. a euclydian sequence).
  • Using Shifty’s CV, but triggering the EGs using gates from some other source.

I’m now working on a variant of this setup but had to remove Shifty for a while to make space.

1. Master clock Pam’s, sent to Marbles clock in. 3 channels of Pam’s generating euclydian patterns.
  2. Mult patterns to 3 segments of Stages set as “holds” as well as to fhe EGs (in this case 3 channels of Just Friends)
  3. Send Marbles’ 3 pitch outs to the holds in Stages.
  4. Take Stages’ outs to v/8 ins on two Mangroves and a Plaits. Out to VCA’s/LPGs to your taste.
  5. Hit run on Pam’s.
  6. Music comes out.

In my two to three hours of testing on Sunday it proved a more sophisticated system than Shifty alone, and very suited to arpeggiated melody.

With both configurations, though, I’ve struggled with a problem I’m starting to refer to as “the long and the short,” which means that it’s fine if I want to play chatty little arpeggios through an Optomix, but the moment I want to mix stacatto notes with infrequent legato notes (a pad, say) the system falls over somewhat,

Still working on it.

Yeah, I’ve done similar things with Stages, and that kind of gets to the heart of what I’m asking: Rythmic gate patterns are good for stacatto, but they don’t tend to feel like the way someone would play an instrument.

I had an idea to play with a burst generator yesterday (in my case the uO_C with Hemisphere).

• Fed a clocked LFO from Stages through to the trigger quantity (which I attenuated down to max out at like 4-6 tiggers).
  • Also had another clocked Stages LFO modulating that LFO’s rate.
  • A third clocked Stages LFO varied the rate of burst output.
  • Used Plog to OR a steady clock division with a 50% probability division from Integra Solum to give me a steady hit with sparser random hits to feed the burst generator.
  • Used a channel of Stages for Sample and Hold notes from a uO_C’s quantizer (also clocked), so I could have some notes repeat.
  • Fed burst triggers and notes to Plaits in string mode for sounds.

It made some nicer patterns. I’m considering a Befaco Burst for the job, as it seems really well suited to this problem with a lot more controls over the output + internal probability, but I want to experiment with what I can get from uO_C more first.

Also still working on it. :+1:

That sounds really interesting… In general terms what does the burst generator do? I’ve tried reading module descriptions but the functionality is a bit occult…?

Does the KMix track all 8 inputs simulateously when being used as an audio interface?

Essentially, it takes a trigger, and produces a stream of subequent triggers based on it’s settings. It can be clocked (and subsequently divided) or unclocked. It can vary the distribution of the output (more triggers at the start or end or an even distribution). You get CV control over all the salient bits.

Ok so by “stream of triggers” these are effectively clocked and derived from a multiplication or division of the source?

Maybe it’s the “burst” that makes me wary. I picture myself patching a clock in and—TBPTPBTBPBBBBBNPPPPTTT—OH GOD STOP

I believe so, yes. I’ve never owned one though; I changed my mind and bought a MIDI controller with faders and will end up with a different audio interface sometime later this winter

It does, yes. You could record all 8 ins simultaneously.