Eurorack: ask questions here

To my mind René and Marbles conflict in a small system. Both generate gates and quantized CVs, but neither assumes it’s the master clock.

René is a sequencer that can generate pseudo-random quantized CV and timing through incoming modulation. Marbles is a random voltage sampler that can sound like a sequencer, but ultimately isn’t…

In other words, one takes a sequence and makes it more random, the other takes random and makes it more sequence.

Both great… But tbh I think René is the more foundational use case.

Some very good points. I do like the idea of the complete Make Noise control system. I plan on using my modular (90hp 6u) as a stand-alone instrument, so having a lot of hands-on control would make it very fun, despite taking up lots of room.

I have experience with Marbles, but none with René. There were a lot of things I liked about Marbles and I found myself using it more for modulation and less for notes. In this particular instance it would act as the ‘master clock’ and modulation.

To me Rene+Marbles would be a nice combination. Marbles can be the master clock, and provide a couple of alternate trigger streams for other inputs on Rene – and also sample the CV coming out of Rene, rearrange it or act as a shift register or otherwise give variations on it.

It just depends on the size of the system I guess; you’d need multiple voices to really take advantage of a setup like that.

It’s not typical but Teletype would probably be my first choice of clock, gate sequencer, supplemental CV sequencer/modulation source/etc. I don’t have a Rene but I did have Mimetic Digitalis, and currently Sputnik 5-Step Voltage Source/Selector, and I think it works well with those sorts of multi-dimensional sequencers. (And with Marbles…)

Question that I’ve been meaning to ask…

What is a v/Oct input on a filter for?

simple use case:

you can mult your pitch in from your soundsource so your filter will track your pitch (try playing a high note through a lpf with pitch multed to both your osc and your filter v/oct in, vs unpatched). I reckon this is like keyboard tracking on some monosynths.

Alternatively, with no input signal to anything, crank your resonance (with your volume cautiously low) until you hear a tone. Send a sequence to v/oct in. Not all filters do this (self oscillate), but many do!

It’s like “filter tracking” on a fixed-architecture synth. It helps you maintain the same timbre as you play different notes, instead of higher frequencies becoming duller (with a lowpass).

With many resonant filters or bandpasses it can work really nicely to have it track your oscillator closely. With some, if you have it tracking but offset just a little bit from one of the oscillator’s harmonics, you get some nifty unstable beating between them.

If you feed it white noise, or the filter can self-oscillate as you turn up the resonance, you can use it as an oscillator that tracks pitch.

I’m hoping to have a two dedicated voice system, maybe even three. Certain modules (Tides 2 for instance) as extra voices or modulators depending on the patch.

I’m going to avoid Teletype, as I’d like for the instrument to be a little more hands on and inviting to friends who might otherwise not get the chance to play a modular.

Ok past me. Read the info page!

Apparently my filter (omsonic RNF) can produce a pure sine that will track v/oct. Thanks for the other use cases. Gives me something to play around with.

Hi all I am wondering what everyone might use/recommend as a portable euro setup to use with the OP-1. This would also serve as a good way to help with picking modules to begin the eurorack journey. I’ve been thinking about a ~40hp case. I am totally new to Eurorack so any advice is welcome and appreciated.(If you would change this setup or do it completely different please don’t hesitate to let me know!) Also please feel free to share your OP-1/Euro setups and how you use them. :upside_down_face: 40hp

I just got back from a trip where I used this setup, was lots of fun. I run the OP-1 into the morphagene, then it all goes through clouds. It does lack a dedicated output module and monitoring clouds without an external mixer isn’t great. As much fun as the complex modulation on zadar is, I might swap that for Pamela’s plus a HPO.

The case is the 42hp pico case, no cheeks attached.

@sunbeamer cool! The morphagene sounds like it can do so much, unfortunately it’ll be something I’ll have to save up for in the future. The Disting is also a module I’ve been very interested in as having something to modulate would open up more possibilities.

Three cool effects, but you could just about do the same with the Zvex pedal, a Red Panda Particle, and some kind of filter pedal, maybe like a Dwarfcraft ARF. Modular is fun because of control voltage!

On that note, I wound up getting a pretty good deal on someone’s old system, so I’ll be back in euro business! Happy to have a case full of Mutable modules!

What is your goal with that rack? Is it for recording, performance, general purpose? Are you planning to play single riffs through it or run whole tracks through it? One thing to keep in mind is that Clouds is the only stereo processor in the rack, so you’ll be squashing the OP-1 down to mono for Ripple and ILFJ.

ILFJ imparts a lot of specific color - which you can tone down of course, but it does what it does. The compressor side is handy too, though most people aren’t buying it for that. I will add the levels from it are particularly hot, so you’ll probably want to run it through something with level control (which Clouds does have!). The output module has a lot of possible alternatives, that’d be the first thing I’d change.

As is the rack would have to be extremely hands on, as you don’t have any sources of modulation.

Nice little MI system! The Peaks Tap LFO setting has an amplitude setting (knob 1) which will be helpful in avoiding eating up all three channels of Shades attenuator/attenuverters.

You are going to have a blast! Enjoy!

Thanks for such great info! I’m mostly thinking for recording and performing purposes right now and want to play single riffs through it so it not being stereo isn’t a big problem for me atm but being able to keep stereo would be a plus. I added the ILFJ as a sort of last piece but am also interested in swapping that with something else. What alternatives would you recommend to the output module?

honestly, this rig should be an effect rack in Ableton. Aside from having physical knobs, I am not seeing what value the modular is adding—if you want to change the tone that these three modules are giving you, it’s all up to your two hands!

I guess it could be. One reason I’m going with a small rig like this is to begin the purchase of modules to hopefully build up to a proper set up. But seeing as it takes time and money to get there I hoped using the OP-1 I already have could be a cool way of starting.

It can be! but don’t go with three effects to start (well, two and a filter, which is I guess not always considered an effect), would be my recommendation. if you want cool hardware effects, I feel like pedals is the better option, because they’re more designed to be used on their own. modules crave modulation.

Do you have any suggestions for other modules that would be good to both start with and also helpful?

@24Franks perhaps the adventure audio merge could be of interest?

it’s designed with guitar in mind, but would likely accept the op-1 as well—could be a good way to both input the signal at modular levels and derive modulation sources from performance.